Dreadful Winters

I plan to be in the Pacific NorthWest of America two years from now.

How does one exactly find food during strong artic winters?

What kinds of foods are available during such unhospitable cycles of the year?

( I am betting that there isn’t any simple answer. :smiley: )

Pacific Northwest you mean?

How far north are you planning to be?

I’m in Puget Sound Washington right now, but it’s not the best spot because it’s quite built up here. I want to check out the Olympic peninsula however.

[quote=“Fenriswolfr, post:2, topic:336”]Pacific Northwest you mean?

How far north are you planning to be?

I’m in Puget Sound Washington right now, but it’s not the best spot because it’s quite built up here. I want to check out the Olympic peninsula however.[/quote]

Pacific Northwest you mean?

( I knew that didn’t sound right. :smiley: )

I’ll be in Northern Washington State most likely.

Where I am going however will be on the border between Washington State and British Columbia Canada through rugged mountainous forest terrain.

( I intend to never come back through civilization again once I get all the supplies together.)

( I intend to get lost fully.)

( The only time I plan to come back in civilization is through this website every five months, getting supplies or to publish my book that I’m working on currently.)

( Or to retrieve a female who would be willing to live with me in the forests. What are the odds of that happening? :-\ )

Come with me if you like…here in a couple of years.

My shelter of the entire year including through winter will be somthing like this:

[b]( Does a mock imitation of asking a girl out on a date.)

( " Hey , Do you want to come vist my tipi?" :smiley: )

( Dreaming, I know/ Oh well.)[/b]

lawl, well, I don’t plan on staying in any one place, I think I’ll follow the rivers or what not, but be sure to let me know when you come out this way

[b]I sure will. You should come hang out with me once I set up my location even if it is for just a little while.

( I see you deem yourself a nomadic person where I on the otherhand consider myself a hunter and gatherer that stays in one big area.)

( Atleast that will my goal once I set all this up in motion.)

( I’ll be in a one hundred mile radius of mountains,forests,lakes,ponds, and plains where I am heading out to.)[/b]

well, I’m not (at the moment) planning on building anything permanent. I would rather be nomadic, only way I would ‘settle down’ would be if I had a kid. But I doubt I shall have one place I’d call ‘home’, it’d just be where ever I am at that moment in time.

I would recommend that you read about Urban Scout’s experiment with living in a tipi in the Pacific Northwest before you try it on your own:

Posts about Urban Scout’s tipi

I’m not 100% sure about the PNW, but the (roughly) equivalent areas on the east side made heavy use of longhouses & wigwams/wegiwas. But then, if you’re just looking for shelter for yourself it might be easiest to go with debris huts.

See the debris hut article on the wiki. Think of it as a tent and sleeping bag rolled up in one.

Isn’t a sturdy tipi good through a winter if it was to have a fire pit?

( Thanks for the link.)

I am going to be in Northern Washington State being far away from any shoreline.

[quote=“WildeRix, post:9, topic:336”]I would recommend that you read about Urban Scout’s experiment with living in a tipi in the Pacific Northwest before you try it on your own:

Posts about Urban Scout’s tipi[/quote]

Alright.

[quote=“Plains”]It really depends. Do you mean the coastal or interior side of the Cascades? If it’s the former, then I don’t think you have to worry about arctic winters, unless you’re quite literally in or on the mountains. Are there salmon in the area? That makes a good winter food if you can preserve it properly. The Tlingit (Tongass) smoked them and stored them in seal oil. You could do something similar. I imagine larger land mammals are still somewhat plentiful in the mountains. I’m not exactly sure what lives there though. You really just want to over-prepare with the larger foods–smoked fish, jerky, pemmican, and things of that sort, and then find a way to consume the needed micronutrients.

Regarding the female companion… maybe you should drop the idea of them as weak and negative and to be dominated. But then some women are into that…

I’m considering (with temporally varying degrees of seriousness) relocating to a similar area (north of the Douglass Fir prevalence region), so this rather interest me.[/quote]

Regarding the female companion... maybe you should drop the idea of them as weak and negative and to be dominated. But then some women are into that...

I don’t give out respect freely for with me it has to be earned by anyone.

Giving respect out freely has only caused me betrayal in the past and I have learned my lesson completely of such events.

It really depends. Do you mean the coastal or interior side of the Cascades?

It will be far north away from the coast line. I am going to assume that it will be the cascades.

If it's the former, then I don't think you have to worry about arctic winters, unless you're quite literally in or on the mountains.

Where I am going it will be heavily mountainous.

Are there salmon in the area? That makes a good winter food if you can preserve it properly. The Tlingit (Tongass) smoked them and stored them in seal oil. You could do something similar.

I think there is considering all the rivers and lakes of the region.

I am a bit worried about tracking salmon considering there will be black bears and grizzlies in the area.

(Hopefully they hibernate in the winter time.)

I imagine larger land mammals are still somewhat plentiful in the mountains. I'm not exactly sure what lives there though.

I was thinking about eating mountain rams in the winter time.

There is a whole bunch of other game I am sure.

You really just want to over-prepare with the larger foods--smoked fish, jerky, pemmican, and things of that sort, and then find a way to consume the needed micronutrients.

I am definately planning to make alot of jerky.

I'm considering (with temporally varying degrees of seriousness) relocating to a similar area (north of the Douglass Fir prevalence region), so this rather interest me.

If anybody wants to come join my journey here in two years I welcome anyone.

Lemme see… his last posting was august 2007, his timeframe was 2 years… I’m heading into the same area… maybe we will be teepee neighbors!