Domestication

I was trying to register to the site again because i forgot my old account and password, luckily i remembered :D. But this is what i sent to try and register. Write more stuff, but tell if it gives you a kick :slight_smile:

I starting reading through the Read This First section of the site, and one of the definitions of rewild basically mentioned domestication and reversing such a thing. Seeing that, i’ve descided to send 2 thing’s i’ve written about domestication and you see if you want to add me after that. Hopefully i write clearly enough, and i do try to keep it from being boring, although not straying too far from reality. Often times reality itself is interesting enough, especially at these interesting times.

First thing is i overheard someone talking about a husband and wife who had a rabbit. They wanted to get rid of the rabbit. The husband, while his wife was gone, took the rabbit and let it go into the forest. The wife got home and the husband told her what he did. She freaked out saying “You can’t do that because it is domesticated, it can’t and doesn’t know how to survive!”. Instantly when i heard that bit, my mind drifted to society, and how if people (and i say it like this because it paints society, which in my perspective and experience, in a realistic way) are released from society into the wild cannot fend for themself and don’t know the slightest thing about being outside society. (i can also add now in retrospect, that if an animal is left in a cage for a while, it eventually becomes more comfortable in the cage then it does outside of it, and the outside of it is much more intimidating then the cage. The many realities of reality are finely filtered i could say. But ya it’s a good analogy)

The second thing is prolly more revealing. It was an interesting experience and i’ll try and portray it accurately.
Basically i was walking a dog with my mother through a forest, and as we were exiting the forest, we were approaching subdivision, or society, to be more exact. So we were right between forest and society. The conversation drifted onto squirrels funny enough, and how we feed them. I thought about the squirrel picking up peanuts from the subdivision prolly has his house in the forest. I thought about what the human form of this might be, and though of a person living on the country side. They live outside of the, maybe “physical concrete society”, or a town, and go into town to pick up whatever they want or need (need as much as they set themself up to need from it i could say). This is where it starts getting interesting. I then thought of a squirrel who lives entirely in the forest, a squirrel who lives between forest and society, and a squirrel who is caged. And, it’s important to note that the squirrel which is caged is entirely dependant on the cage for his sustanence and for his life. I then went to the human forms of these, being obviously a person who lives in the forest, entirely self sustainable. A person who, ya, lives in the country side, and a person who is a full on perticipant of society. (I often think it ironic how people talk about working to survive…) It’s easy to notice how dependant people are on the system to survive. I think i had more points to this, but i can’t recollect them atm.

Now i could say that there is an owner to the cage, and there is no doubt that there are those among us who have essentially infinite wealth, power, and influence, but the interesting thing is that cages never existed before. They were made as some point. So what that means is that man made his own cage. Or some man more cleaver, or manipulative, then the other figured he could lure man into working for him. All interesting thoughts, and thoughts which cause more conflict in thinking them and trying to understand then would be if you simply went along with the system, parroting “it’s just the way it is”.

I think this came out better then i was expecting, good stuff and cheers :slight_smile:

Hey there,

Great parables for our situation! Loved the bunny one. I thought at first maybe the wife in the first story was mad at him for not killing it for them to eat! Haha, shows you where my mind is these days. Loved the linking of the forest-country-city. Reminds me why I want to get the hell out of the city so bad!

Haha, shows you where my mind is these days.
Certainly a good sign, ahead of the pack lol.