Dog Names Rewilded in E-Primitive

Salutations,

I go by Andrew or Nodal Nim, & I have just come across this forum thanks to a link from a friend [friend -> E-Primitive ‘he-inspires-me’]. I find myself quite intrigued by what I’ve read so far.

I have many things to say about E-Prime (which I have used in writing for a while & have just started learning to speak) but I will save that. Instead, I would like to share with you what I did at work today.

¤ ¤ ¤

Work for me means walking dogs, lots of them, in th city of Chicago. Their owners want them to get out to “do their business” during th day but spend their time making money elsewhere. So they give some of that money to their dog-walker to keep their animals reasonably entertained & their floor clear of poo.

Before leaving to walk my first dog, I spent some time reading on this forum about E-Primitive. I get th idea that it works like this: an ordinary sentence in English contains nouns: dull, lifeless labels for entities that we observe. Nouns tell us classification, what something “is” (whether or not we say “This is a. . .”). Nouns do not necessarily reflect what th entities they refer to “do”. Do all teachers really teach? Do all people who teach receive th label of teacher?

In contrast, in an animistic culture, we have something more like descriptions of what a thing “does.” We wouldn’t say “She is a teacher,” but “She teaches” (& then only if we observe her teaching). This brings up th question of which holds more importance, th label our culture automatically assigns to a thing, or what we experience that thing doing. In my opinion, E-Prime leads us toward th latter, & E-Primitive even more so.

Willem, as you have introduced this idea, I’d especially love to hear your response, corrections, or clarifications of what I just tried to explain.

Anyway, as I walked my dogs today, I couldn’t help but try to come up with brand new E-Primitive names for my dogs based on my experiences with them. I will tell you some of them:

He-tumbles; She-gentles; She-teaches; He-attracts; He-protects.

Those five have a very simple structure. (Note my verbing of ‘gentle’. It seemed best.) Some slightly more complicated ones:

She-goes-cautiously; He-eats-snow; She-sniffs-intently; He-marks[-territory].

That last one could go He-marks-territory or just He-marks for short. It brings a new connotation to th name Mark, doesn’t it? My most complicated name:

She-thwacks[-her tail[-against th wall/fridge]]

So her long names go She-thwacks-her-tail-against-th-wall & She-thwacks-her-tail-against-th-fridge. A medium-length name goes She-thwacks-her-tail, & of course, we can just call her She-thwacks for short.

Do you think these types of names fit with th spirit of E-Primitive? I would like to hear anyone & everyone’s thoughts on this!

I found that I really enjoyed renaming these animals. It gave me a greater sense of closeness to them, since their names reflected how I felt they related to me. I talk to my dogs a lot (shamelessly), & I found that when I used these names with them, I would frequently say things like, “Oh, He-tumbles, I love you!” Somehow, it seemed more intimate.

I have not tried doing this with humans.

¤ ¤ ¤

I thought of something else. These names do not always reflect phenomenological observation. When th snow melts, will it still make sense to call a dog He-eats-snow? What if, when he becomes older, he stops eating snow altogether? Th name no longer corresponds to an observation, so should we do away with it?

I would suspect that cultures that name in this way have mechanisms in their language that allow this kind of flexibility, to keep th language up-to-date with changes in th environment. This would contrast with th sedentary nature of English, where we only recognize a word if an authority has written it down in a dictionary. Most people do not consider it their place to “create” new names for things.

What do you think?

Well met, Andrew.

I liking this idea.I have enjoyed giving things oddball names ever since I found out someone had a son named Dweezil and a dog named Frunoblax. Naming a pet in eprimitive or giving an already named pet an eprimitive epithet would make for an excellent segue way into a discussusion on eprime.

“Why do you call your cat -the-devilish-beast-who-wakes-her-caretaker-with-many-headbutts-and-susurations?”

I’ve given my son the nickname Bangs-On-Coffee-Table :).

I think you’ve grasped the essence, Andrew. Awesome!

Do you think these types of names fit with th spirit of E-Primitive? I would like to hear anyone & everyone's thoughts on this!

I love those names. The proof dwells in the pudding, as they say, because of what you said:

I found that I really enjoyed renaming these animals. It gave me a greater sense of closeness to them, since their names reflected how I felt they related to me.

Genius! Exactly! The relationship changed. This shows the power and possibility of e-primitive. Especially since:

When th snow melts, will it still make sense to call a dog He-eats-snow? What if, when he becomes older, he stops eating snow altogether? Th name no longer corresponds to an observation, so should we do away with it?

I would suspect that cultures that name in this way have mechanisms in their language that allow this kind of flexibility, to keep th language up-to-date with changes in th environment.

Yep, E-primitive names compel us to update them when they no longer apply, unless we use them in an historical sense, of course. Sometimes we name something for a notable event associated with it, rather than an ongoing pattern it embodies. In any case, both describe exactly what they mean to, rather than some mythical fixed state.

Thanks so much for sharing your story - I hope to hear more of your E-primitive adventures. :slight_smile:

This is a great thread! Thanks Nodal Nim!

I thank ya’ll for responding! Altho I’ve seen much talk of E-Prime, I’ve seen less actual use of E-Primitive, so I didn’t feel entirely sure I had th right idea. At any rate, I liked what came of it. It smiles me that you do to.

:<)

As for E-Prime, I have recently begun th daunting challenge of training myself to speak & think in it. Four days in, I still consider it an experiment worth trying (& I still find it close to impossible to maintain during an actual conversation - it improves slowly but surely).

I don’t necessarily agree with all that goes with E-Prime philosophy. Altho “isness” can promote dogmatism & prejudice (or at least makes them easy to communicate), one can write & speak dogmatically in E-Prime & one can keep an open mind & sincerely try to fairly observe th universe in B-English.

That said, I continue to catch myself buying into sneaky little illusions that “isness” fosters. As Robert Anton Wilson puts it, “E-Prime solves many problems that otherwise appear intractable, and it also serves as an antibiotic against. . . ‘demonological thinking’.”

I find that rephrasing in E-Prime helps considerably, but doesn’t guarantee.

I also don’t agree with th “all or nothing” perspective of E-Prime. “To be” forms do much more than define things in our language, but E-Prime demands that we abolish all of them, no matter what function they serve. I will tell you about th two forms of “to be” that I miss th most:

Continuous/progressive aspect:

“I am going to th store,” does not mean “I equal going to th store.” It just means, more or less, “I have begun going to th store. At this moment, I go to th store.” I find that aspect of “to be” useful, & not at all harmful.

“I am at th store,” does not mean, “I equal at th store.” In E-Prime, stating your location requires you to say some awkward stuff, like, “You can find me at th store,” or “I shop right now at th store.”

Most of my “mistakes” in thought & conversation involve those two forms. E-Prime demands us to abolish them, in my opinion, for no particularly good reason.

That said, partly just for th challenge, I want to go on learning to speak & think in E-Prime proper, doing away with all forms of “to be.” Have any of you attempted this? How did you find th experience?

¤ ¤ ¤

So I started writing down common phrases, English idioms & such, that I have trouble with. I figured out some useful alternatives & decided that perhaps we ought to have a B-English to E-Prime Phrase Dictionary as a reference guide. So, for example, a person might look up a phrase like “I am x years old,” to find some alternative ways of giving your age:

“I have lived x years.”
“I have spent x years on Earth.”
“My birth took place x years ago.”
“I have an age of x.”

A project like this would benefit from having many contributors. I started a wiki for this a few days ago, before I discovered this website/forum. Does anyone like this idea & want to contribute?

Also, if we like this idea, do you think it might fit well with th wiki already developing at rewild[ing].org? If th administrators of th wiki think it fits, I wouldn’t mind moving it to rewild. Or it can stay separate. Since I have come here so recently, I don’t know how people would feel about this, so please tell me honestly.

You can look at what I started here:
http://eprimedictionary.pbwiki.com/

Many thankings,
Nim

[quote=“Nodal Nim, post:6, topic:608”]So I started writing down common phrases, English idioms & such, that I have trouble with. I figured out some useful alternatives & decided that perhaps we ought to have a B-English to E-Prime Phrase Dictionary as a reference guide. So, for example, a person might look up a phrase like “I am x years old,” to find some alternative ways of giving your age:

“I have lived x years.”
“I have spent x years on Earth.”
“My birth took place x years ago.”
“I have an age of x.”[/quote]

Oo, oo, I want to play!

I use, “I’ve aged 25 years.” I also ask, “how many years has she/he/it/other gender aged?” Generally, I gotta really like a person for me to feed them one of my secret e-indigenous-prime phrase lines.

[quote=“Nodal Nim, post:6, topic:608”]I don’t necessarily agree with all that goes with E-Prime philosophy. Altho “isness” can promote dogmatism & prejudice (or at least makes them easy to communicate), one can write & speak dogmatically in E-Prime & one can keep an open mind & sincerely try to fairly observe th universe in B-English.

I also don’t agree with th “all or nothing” perspective of E-Prime. “To be” forms do much more than define things in our language, but E-Prime demands that we abolish all of them, no matter what function they serve.[/quote]

I think you really have a point here. If I were to begin writing/speaking/thinking in E-prime, I would start with those instances of “is” that are the most problematic. Then I would gradually take out more and more uses of “is” until I thought that I had done enough. (Which might mean taking it out altogether, or just those instances that I felt were problems.)

“I am running” (or, your example, “I am going to the store”) don’t seem very dangerous to me. Everyone can tell from context that the “am” describes a temporary state.

But there’s a big difference between saying “I am running” and “I am a runner.” Definitions of one’s self in fragments like that can start to cement in one’s mind to make dangerous and narrow permanent identities.

To regurgitate my previous example: if a person “runs for exercise on a regular basis”, then in an ideal world it would be best for him/her to state just that, because it makes it clear that that’s just the present state of things, and that they/their actions can change.

Continuous/progressive aspect:

“I am going to th store,” does not mean “I equal going to th store.” It just means, more or less, “I have begun going to th store. At this moment, I go to th store.” I find that aspect of “to be” useful, & not at all harmful.

I felt this way too, not long ago. But as I use e-prime more, I’ve begun to prefer the present tense for most situations. It feels more “in the moment”. In the progressive tense you do something in the past, present, and future. In the present tense, you do it right now. if you really want to use the progressive tense, you can use another verb in lieu of to be (I stood looking out the window.) It doesn’t work all the time, though.

When you start using e-prime, it really helps you to think about what you mean versus what you actually say. I’ve begun to find that a lot of people use the progressive tense incorrectly. For instance, you commonly hear people say “I’m going to ____” when they actually mean “I plan to ____” (I’m going to the store; do you want anything? I’m going to follow him!)

Thank you all for your thoughts on this!

Neighbor Scout: Feel free to edit th dictionary! You just need to know th password: eprime. Easy to remember, eh? Anyone else who would like to translate some idiomatic B-English phrases into E-Prime, consider yourself invited!

Th link again: http://eprimedictionary.pbwiki.com/

I thought of a good one today. “So be it.” -> “So it goes.”

:<)

In practice, I find that I allow myself to slip more with usages I don’t consider as dangerous. Sometimes, I stop to consider rephrasing, & then don’t bother if I see nothing wrong with th meaning of th B-English sentence (if it doesn’t make any unfounded assumptions, etc).

I do want to get my speech patterns to 100% E-Prime eventually!

Good point! “I plan to. . .” works really well at keeping you grounded & honest to what you know. After all, I may think “I am going to. . .” but in fact, I have no idea whatsoever whether I really will. I may keel over dead within th next seventeen seconds. It takes a lot of nerve to just assume things that haven’t happened yet!

Flittingly,
Andrew

Oo, oo, I want to play!

In German one would say " I have 47 years."

[hr]
Admin note: fixed typo in code

“How goes it with you all?”

I moved the e-prime phrases challenge to a new post:

[iurl=http://www.rewild.info/conversations/index.php?topic=720.0]E-Prime Phrases of Speech Challenge[/iurl]

Feel free to continue the original thread here, but post any challenges over in the new thread.