Depression 2009: What Would it Look Like?

I found this fascinating article care of Metafilter: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/11/16/depression_2009_what_would_it_look_like/?page=5

Strangely, the author predicts such happy (for primitivists, anyway) trends as:

• backyard gardening
  • extended families living under one roof
  • increased popularity of alternative medicine

But it also predicts that, if a depression were to happen today, it would be a more socially isolating experience than the Great Depression in the 30’s. Rather than banding together, we’d drift further apart. That seems to make sense, but I’m not so sure the younger generation would go for that. An interesting trend, to me, has been my generation’s obsession with social networking and all that that entails - MySpace, Facebook, texting, etc. While increased dependence on technology isolated our parents and older siblings, we seem to be using technology for almost nothing but socialization. So the question is: if all these technologies go away, will that obsession with socialization remain? And will that save us from an “invisible,” isolating Depression?

i sense that the socializing instinct may help some, but i think most of the myspace/facebook/cell phone/etc socializing apparatus has probably served to cripple many aspects of sociability, particularly with inter-generational communication. i think inter-generational relationships will be especially important for younger generations as we go back to older folks who remember what life on the farm or the homestead involved and who may still retain some of that folk knowledge. i think regardless of how much socializing the younger generation does, it doesn’t amount to a hill of beans when none of them know how to live without a cell phone, computers, microwaved meals, or central heating. by and large, i find my generation pitiful and laughable; in a word, clueless (i count myself among them in many ways).

in times like these, though, i consider myself fortunate to have many friends who have some sense of the situation we’re in and who have some skills that will prove beneficial for the future (though many of my friends, regardless of what i tell them, still seem in the dark). i’d much rather work in a garden with someone who’s psychologically ready (and excited about!) hard work than someone who just figured out yesterday that he can’t survive off frozen pizzas and fast food.

i do hope this depression will throw folks off psychologically to the point that the veil may lift for them. i imagine plenty of folks will just hope to ride this out until things get better. and as the author of that article suggests, i anticipate we will see an exodus of the suburbs for the city. whatever comes of that, i will go in the opposite direction.

~wildeyes

I think I have to agree that I think internet social network like Myspace will only hurt people, at least in the short run. A lot of people today don’t have any real friends, just the superficial relationships they develop on sites like Myspace. It’s another one of those sick euphemistic imitations of real healthy things that civilization churns out.

I’m not sure this collapse we are seeing will shock people into rewilding, or even really a state of mind that is receptive to rewilding. The crises of the 1930’s Great Depression and the 1970’s Arab Oil Embargo didn’t make many lasting impressions on the way civilized culture operates in the broad sense. Sure, we lowered speed limits and put checks and balances on banking but people are still building pyramids.

I find it interesting though, that we are starting to see a collapse in confidence as a trigger for a financial collapse, how ever large or small it may be. It would seem that now that some of the full dishonesty that so many of us have turned a blind eye to has been revealed, people are finding it hard to trust anybody.

I definitely think that social network sites are a Toxic Mimic of actual social networking.

Would you call crutches a toxic mimic of walking, too? How do you get a cause happening after the effect? People have gotten more socially isolated for decades now, not since MySpace, LinkedIn, or Facebook appeared. These things have gained popularity precisely because people feel isolated, and because when you feel that isolated you’ll take whatever you can get. At its best, something like Twitter helps people spend more time with flesh-and-blood people out in the real world: you feel bored, you can see a friend of yours has gone to a coffee shop, so you can go to that coffee shop and hang out with your friend.

I don’t know anybody who confuses a MySpace “friend” with a genuine friend. I might have 9,000 friends on MySpace, but of course, only a small number of those might involve real friendships. If you want to look at something that undermines real relationships, look at cell phones and “continuous partial attention” [1, 2].

My mother always told me, you can’t take away someone’s crutches unless you’ll stick by them and teach them to walk again. And in that, I have to say, it angers me a bit to read this kind of harsh judgment of people who feel so desperately lonely. No, they don’t have a lot of real relationships, in most cases. Most of us feel too isolated for that. But they can feel a little less isolated, if only with shallow, online relationships, through things like this. It makes a desperately isolated world just a little less isolated, and you want to judge that because it doesn’t solve the answer completely? I find that just a little perverse.

I wouldn’t call walking with crutches a toxic mimic of walking, because i dont’ know of any way that walking with crutches hurts you.

and i definitely didn’t judge anyone who uses social networking sites. i use them. i only judged the technology itself, which i’m just as comfortable with as judging the use of cellphones.

Calling it a toxic mimic certainly sounds like a pretty harsh judgment to me, but I really think it’s more of a crutch. We have crippling social isolation in the modern world, and it has very little to do with our choices as individuals. The structure of our society drives us apart. Insofar as social networking sites allow us to have any contact with each other at all, they improve over no contact whatsoever. I don’t know anyone who mistakes them for real relationships, just like no one mistakes walking on crutches for walking normally, but it offers the best some people have right now. And insofar as that holds true, it provides a basis. Rather than damning it for its incompleteness, I’d rather embrace what this trend gets right as a way to help people push farther.

I want to say something about this technological generation gap. Adults today are using the Internet the same way you use TV: as a socially isolating form of entertainment. But teenagers today are using the Internet in a different way. They’re using texting, IMing, and social networking sites to stay in contact with their friends from real life 24/7. (This may be due to the increasingly mobile nature of this technology; you don’t have to be locked up in your house to use the Internet anymore, and of course, the kids are the first to adapt to this new development.)

In this way, it’s almost a little like tribal preschool. The way primitive societies operate is that everyone knows everything about everyone else. It’s an incredibly tight-knit family that you spend all your time with. They can tell what you’re thinking and feeling based on the subtlest clue, without you having to say something. Social networking sites aren’t anywhere close to being there yet, but consider what happens when you, the proverbial average teenager, are in constant contact with all your friends. They know what you’re doing because you Twittered it. They know what you’re feeling because you wrote up a deeply personal, emotional blog entry about it. You’re always texting them, IMing them, e-mailing them, calling them on the phone.

It’s not a replacement for real social contact by any means. But my argument is that, rather than making the problem worse, it’s a tiny step in the right direction. It seems to me that television is an inherently isolating technology, as are most of the other “toys” that we developed over the course of the 20th century. (As well as 21st century toys such as the iPod.) As Jason pointed out, this problem has been getting worse for decades now. My argument is that the very latest social networking technologies are allowing the younger generation to take a small, baby step out of that trend and get on a new path that, eventually, will allow them to adapt to an economic depression in a more healthy way than you might assume.

I’d also like to point out the irony of having this discussion on a message board, which itself is a form of social networking.

I'm not sure this collapse we are seeing will shock people into rewilding, or even really a state of mind that is receptive to rewilding. The crises of the 1930's Great Depression and the 1970's Arab Oil Embargo didn't make many lasting impressions on the way civilized culture operates in the broad sense. Sure, we lowered speed limits and put checks and balances on banking but people are still building pyramids.
Oh, I'm not talking about a depression shocking people into rewilding, just hoping that a depression would force people to make small changes that we rewilders consider good things. (Growing your own food, living with your elders, utilizing alternative medicine, etc.)

But considering your point, in the Great Depression, we had plenty of resources; the problem was just distributing those resources. And while the Oil Embargo made it difficult to get the necessary fuel, it had to end eventually, and it was still economically viable to extract the oil from the ground. So why would these events have lasting impacts when civilization was still on the rise and we could easily move past them? On the other hand, a post-Peak Oil depression where we really don’t have the resources to recover from it, that might actually spark a slow move toward rewilding. Or at least I hope it would.

One way to see these sites is as a powerful tool for control. Yes, they are connecting people that otherwise would feel desperately lonely - people that otherwise might be pressed to do something towards improving their situation. I see most of these sites as another way of keeping the prisoners calm, amused, distracted. I recognize also that they can be powerful learning and networking tools (and truly appreciate this site for that), but moreoften they fill gaps in peoples lives that would otherwise have to be filled in the immediate world; they pacify. I am not taking a jab at anyone that uses these tools, Jason, you of all people should know that developing a critique of of such things is not in any way a ‘harsh judgement’ of its users. It is healthy criticism.

There’s criticism that empowers, and criticism that shuts down any positive action, though. Anything half-done will serve to simply pacify people, but simply leaving it at that discourages people from ever trying anything. It’s Zeno’s paradox: you have to get half-way before you can get all the way there, so if you discourage people from ever getting half-way, then you’ve discouraged them from ever trying.

If social networking sites benefit your life and rewilding, great. I won’t judge you or anyone for that. I use them, I keep up with friends with them. I find some utility in them.

And I hear you on not coming across so cynical and jaded to folks who are just coming to understandings of how civilization works. I don’t want to put anyone off of what’s going on, I certainly want to draw them into a more and more radical understanding and livelihood.

But in terms of hypothesizing how these technologies will influence folks in the unfolding depression, I don’t know what about our criticism does not seem reasonable. I don’t know what about it would put off potential rewilders.

What don’t I see?
~wildeyes

I think you’re still coming from a perspective of Internet use that’s increasingly relegated to an older generation. As I’ve said before, younger people are less likely to use these tools to connect to people that they only know through the Internet, and more likely to use them to stay in constant contact with people they see everyday in real life (friends, family, schoolmates, co-workers, etc.). So they see their friends in real life, but they’re also constantly texting and calling them even when they’re apart. Younger people are not using these technologies as a replacement for social contact, but as a way to never not be talking to their friends.

These are not desperately lonely people, alone in dark rooms, talking only via text to people who live thousands of miles away. The vast majority of people who use the Internet use it virtually only for shopping, news, and keeping in touch with people they already know.

In terms of pacifying people, the same could be said of any fun or enjoyable thing. The same could be said of this very message board, and has been: I’ve read about how watching political documentaries or engaging in political conversations often gives people a false sense of accomplishment, thereby making them less likely to do something that actually has an impact.

In my experience, it’s the other way around: these technologies only rarely “pacify.” In recent generations, I think they are more often used as networking tools. I’m sure my personal use of IM, texting, Facebook and Myspace has lead to more “immediate” interactions than I would have had otherwise. These technologies are more of a “means” than an “end”. I don’t know anybody who spends more than a few minutes a day on myspace or facebook. And usually you would have to make friends in real life before you would even bother making your own site. When I think of pacification of the “desperately lonely”, I think of other more distracting and entertaining mediums like T.V., youtube, and games like World of Warcraft.

Since our society has not given us much in the way of geographical “cultural space,” I think newer generations are forming a virtual one, and that’s definitely better than nothing in my book. The real problems underneath our social interactions are much deeper than lack of cultural space, but i believe that the entire cultural framework has been changing a little bit for the better over the last 10 years. Where there used to be more emphasis on the isolated nuclear family and the ability to “show off” your way of life ( house, car, family… whatever) there is now more emphasis on social groups of friends who are more adept at just “hanging out.”

Quote from Jason

If you want to look at something that undermines real relationships, look at cell phones and “continuous partial attention” [1, 2].

Yeah, I guess when this technology becomes a problem is the moment it becomes a distraction of any sort. I definitely wouldn’t argue that it hasn’t harmed inter-generational communication and inner-family communication, but I think in other ways this is the most connected generation that the American culture has seen in a while. I wouldn’t expect this to lead to tribalism (except in our cases) , but I can see it as leading to a less socially isolated “depression” for most people. I just can’t imagine that all these connected friends would let their friend networks dissapear just because the technology is gone.

Re crutches: they are toxic mimics for two friends helping you walk :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess I can agree that social networking sites might provide a tiny step in the right direction, provided we really stress the tiny part.

But sadly, I have known plenty of people who confuse their online friends with real friendship. I’ve known plenty of people who will ignore real socializing in person, going out with their friends and such, to chat online or something similar. It might not be the usual behavior, but I also don’t think it’s entirely uncommon.

Social networking sites are like any tool. The people of our culture don’t have a good record of using tools responsibly. I’ll stay pessimistic about this one.

But in terms of hypothesizing how these technologies will influence folks in the unfolding depression, I don't know what about our criticism does not seem reasonable. I don't know what about it would put off potential rewilders.

Well, if I read you right, you seem to say that since these things don’t have any rewilding content, that it won’t help promote rewilding at all. And furthermore, these things “cripple many aspects of sociability,” including the ability of the young to talk to the old. Do you mean by that, that young people used to have a great rapport with the older generation, before MySpace and Facebook ruined that? Many newspapers regularly reprint a letter about how “kids these days” have no morals, don’t know how to live right, and so on; you find the “zinger” only at the end, when you see that Aristotle wrote it in ancient Greece. Kids have had a hard time talking to the older generation ever since the Neolithic Mortality Crisis dropped life expectancy into the mid-twenties and the agricultural world became Lord of the Flies. I think in a lot of profound ways, we’ve spent the past 10,000 years dealing with that intense trauma. I fail to see where any website could really have any kind of impact on that, positive or negative.

Except insofar as relationships with the older generation have suffered as a subset of relationships as a whole. We feel increasingly isolated. They’ve studied this and seen that your modern American has fewer relationships with anyone, older or younger, than ever before. So this doesn’t involve a trade-off between real, flesh-and-blood relationships vs. shallow, online ones; it involves shallow online relationships vs. no relationships at all. And in fact, increasingly, social networking doesn’t involve shallow online relationships (like the ones, ironically enough, fostered by shared-interest web fora like this), but a supplement to real, flesh-and-blood ones. You follow people you know in real life on Twitter. You become friends on Facebook with people you hang out with. It becomes a way to keep in touch, like Giuli said; a way to keep constant tabs on each other, to read what each of you thinks and feels. Ever read a deeply personal LiveJournal entry and think, “What makes this person think total strangers would want to read something so personal?” You feel vaguely like a voyeur–because you’ve acted like one. They don’t use it like a newspaper to publish their inner-most thoughts to strangers; they use it as a conversation in a crowded public space, and just like leaning in too close on such a conversation, reading an entry like that feels like eavesdropping because it really involves the same violation. I agree with Giuli, it seems almost like tribal preschool in a lot of ways. Insofar as these things help people form relationships at all, they help us become better able to relate to the older generation, too. (Frankly, in my own experience, the difficulty in forming relationships with older people has generally come from their contempt and condescension.)

But how it would put-off potential rewilders … well, I think if you meet someone who knows what “rewilding” means and views it favorably, you might as well move on because that one’s OK already. We make up such a vanishingly small fringe of a fringe that it seems silly to expect rewilding to triumph from everyone consciously embracing it. But rewilding also points to the human default. When people form closer communities and stronger relationships, when they restore the social focus of their lives, they rewild. They may not call it that, but they do it, nonetheless. Therein lies my sole hope for rewilding’s success: that you don’t need to know how to do it, in order to do it. Most people will rewild entirely by accident.

But discussions like this seem incredibly self-righteous to me. This and that and that sully and contaminate; it seems to condescend to anyone who does or uses this or that or that, telling them they’ve “sinned” and become polluted, and need to become pure (“like me,” they inevitably hear, whether you say it or mean it or not). That describes how I read it, and I know others would, as well.

When I think of pacification of the "desperately lonely", I think of other more distracting and entertaining mediums like T.V., youtube, and games like World of Warcraft.

My employer gives me a budget to go to conferences and such, and I recently got back from one, where I attended a session on virtual worlds, particularly World of Warcraft, led by a woman who did a two-year ethnographic study of WoW players. She noted that WoW became for them what the pub became for Englishmen, or the men’s hut in so many tropical tribes: the “third place” safe for socialization. It became a way to foster relationships with people. And did it take away from family dinners, or school work? No, according to the data, the time kids spent playing WoW came out of the time they would otherwise have spent watching TV. So instead of watching TV, they formed spent time with people. I know I never touched WoW, personally, until one of my best friends moved out to California, and it became the main means by which we could continue our relationship. So I really think WoW belongs more with Facebook or MySpace than TV. I wouldn’t trade my time face-to-face with my friend for equal time in WoW, but given that or no contact at all, I really don’t see how my time in WoW indicates that I’ve undercut my flesh-and-blood relationships.

Where there used to be more emphasis on the isolated nuclear family and the ability to "show off" your way of life ( house, car, family.... whatever) there is now more emphasis on social groups of friends who are more adept at just "hanging out."

Agreed. Yes, we have much to take alarm from, but from time to rare time, things genuinely do get better!

I wouldn't expect this to lead to tribalism (except in our cases) , but I can see it as leading to a less socially isolated "depression" for most people. I just can't imagine that all these connected friends would let their friend networks dissapear just because the technology is gone.

Well, what do you mean by “tribes”? If they don’t give up that social interaction just because the technology dies, and they start to pull together, what else would you call that?

But sadly, I have known plenty of people who confuse their online friends with real friendship. I've known plenty of people who will ignore real socializing in person, going out with their friends and such, to chat online or something similar. It might not be the usual behavior, but I also don't think it's entirely uncommon.

I can’t say I’ve ever met anyone like that. I’ve seen them as outliers on studies, but I’ve never met them. The data says they occur very rarely, about as rarely as people who get addicted to anything else. And in our society, you can find plenty of reasons to seek out a good, solid addiction.

My employer gives me a budget to go to conferences and such, and I recently got back from one, where I attended a session on virtual worlds, particularly World of Warcraft, led by a woman who did a two-year ethnographic study of WoW players. She noted that WoW became for them what the pub became for Englishmen, or the men’s hut in so many tropical tribes: the “third place” safe for socialization. It became a way to foster relationships with people. And did it take away from family dinners, or school work? No, according to the data, the time kids spent playing WoW came out of the time they would otherwise have spent watching TV. So instead of watching TV, they formed spent time with people. I know I never touched WoW, personally, until one of my best friends moved out to California, and it became the main means by which we could continue our relationship. So I really think WoW belongs more with Facebook or MySpace than TV. I wouldn’t trade my time face-to-face with my friend for equal time in WoW, but given that or no contact at all, I really don’t see how my time in WoW indicates that I’ve undercut my flesh-and-blood relationships.[/quote]

Sorry Jason, I didn’t mean to imply that WoW players (or even T.V. watchers) are neccessarily less social. I think that most of this technology and entertainment have potential to swing a person one way or another socially. Overall, I think I see positive trends like you do. Nintendo used to be something you played for hours by yourself; Now we have the Wii, which people of all ages really do play together! Men of my father’s generation often sat on a recliner and watched football alone; Our generation’s sports fans often treat normal games like the Super Bowl, with tailgating and home bbq’s. Even T.V. watching itself seems to be more of an interactive social activity for recent generations.

These are all technological luxuries that were initially socially isolating and detrimental from our culture’s “traditional” and “adult” viewpoint. What they have had the ultimate effect of doing is making us into a bunch of grown up “children,” which I think has positive implications for rewilding.

Quote from: Brian I wouldn't expect this to lead to tribalism (except in our cases) , but I can see it as leading to a less socially isolated "depression" for most people. I just can't imagine that all these connected friends would let their friend networks dissapear just because the technology is gone.
Well, what do you mean by "tribes"? If they don't give up that social interaction just because the technology dies, and they start to pull together, what else would you call that?

I guess it would depend on whether they had a “circle of friends” to begin with rather than just separate acquaintances, but in the former case, I would definitely agree in the potential for “tribes” to form. What i was implying by tribalism here was: a conscious effort to make a living together largely through hunting/gathering. But I would agree that socially, parts our culture seem to be turning more tribal.

[quote=“The Prissiest Primitivist, post:1, topic:1210”]I found this fascinating article care of Metafilter: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/11/16/depression_2009_what_would_it_look_like/?page=5

Strangely, the author predicts such happy (for primitivists, anyway) trends as:

• backyard gardening
  • extended families living under one roof
  • increased popularity of alternative medicine[/quote]

Woot! ;D

Somewhat related note: I’ve noticed that canning equipment is getting a little harder to find lately. A sign of a trend, perhaps?

In regards to inter-generational communication, I think you have a good point for the small scale, immediate view: if kids get too distracted using the “new-fangled” tools and the “old folks” get too off put by them, I can easily see a wedge created. However, in the larger view, I think this shrinks to a much less significant impact. I think that in many cases, there isn’t enough intergenerational communication for this to bite into in the first place. I think that’s an issue that everyone, except the very, very young contributes to.

In regards to socializing vs hill of beans, I think you underestimate the power of “two heads are better than one”. I actually consider socializing pretty high up on the rung of rewilding skills. You might want to check out Willem’s post on Dunbar’s Number. 42% of your time is a respectable chunk of time. Granted, we also need to know how to feed, clothe, shelter and otherwise care for ourselves and each other, but… that doesn’t make socializing a throw away skill.

I need to think on this for a bit. There’s something important here, I think, something that hasn’t really come out in this thread (and maybe not on the forum). This whole concept of pacification and it’s relation to domestication, I’ve seen a lot of folks try to crack it open, but it seems to me they just end up dancing around it. I can’t help but suspect there’s a lot going on with the idea that hasn’t really been brought to the fore. I’ll have to think on this for a bit…

As a rewilder, and as a WoW player, I should probably speak to this. I play WoW. My wife also plays WoW. We’re both in a WoW guild. The other guild members include one of my sisters-in-law, one of my brothers-in-law, and a friend of the family. That’s everyone (5 people). Everyone knows everyone else outside of the game. The friend of the family recently had his first baby girl. We haven’t seen her yet (pictures only). My wife crocheted a blanket with the girl’s name on it and sent it down to them. For us, WoW is much more of a supplement than a replacement. It helps us stay connected over distance.

Yep, I agree, that’s key. That’s the point. That trumps the tech you use. I don’t normally defend “technology is neutral”, however, I don’t think that technology always has strong values. Sometimes it really is just the means to an end.

[quote=“jhereg, post:19, topic:1210”][quote author=Brian link=topic=1286.msg13748#msg13748 date=1227471053]
When I think of pacification of the “desperately lonely”, I think of other more distracting and entertaining mediums like T.V., youtube, and games like World of Warcraft.
[/quote]

As a rewilder, and as a WoW player, I should probably speak to this. I play WoW. My wife also plays WoW. We’re both in a WoW guild. The other guild members include one of my sisters-in-law, one of my brothers-in-law, and a friend of the family. That’s everyone (5 people). Everyone knows everyone else outside of the game. The friend of the family recently had his first baby girl. We haven’t seen her yet (pictures only). My wife crocheted a blanket with the girl’s name on it and sent it down to them. For us, WoW is much more of a supplement than a replacement. It helps us stay connected over distance.[/quote]

Once again, sorry for the WoW comment! I did not mean to say that any of those things necessarily pacify, just that I associate them with pacification in certain circumstances where I don’t see it possible with networking technologies. I’ve spent plenty of time playing “Civilization” and text RPG’s online with my best friend in real life, so I understand that games are often “supplementary” and only rarely a “replacement”. The point I was making is that Myspace, texting, and Facebook pretty much always require an initial real-life friendship, unlike some games. I should have used a more “offline” example of gaming to make my point!.. My apologies!..

Brian