Currently Reading

Just curious, what are others out there currently reading?

Joseph Campbell, the Power of Myth.

Pretty good, it’s also some TV documentary.

re-reading Pirsig’s Lila

there’s an interesting part where he’s talking about values & causation that i really need to put in a thread on Rewilding Our Language, i think it’d be a good discussion

In truth, i have multiple piles going of books in mid-read, most of which would probably interest this list. I skim heavily, otherwise I’d never get through the vast volume I feel compelled to devour these days, in the tiny chunks of time I find for reading.

Inventing the Child
by j zornado (interestingly, no caps on the name). exposes the depth of western culture’s fundamental oppression of children thru media, literature, detachment parenting, etc. & how that “given” underlies our dominator culture. a real mind-blower

my so and i are reading a language older than words by derrick jensen together. i usually read aloud to her.

right now i’m about half way through “my name is chellis and i’m in recovery from western civilization”

Me too! Well, less than halfway…

I’m also reading Spell of the Sensuous right now.

I just finished up Nature and Madness by Paul Shepard. I don’t know what’s next. I’ve got some Tom Brown books that need reading, and I’ll probably pick back up The Practice of the Wild by Gary Snyder. I’m looking for some fiction. Recommendations anyone?

fiction? i can recommend anything written by

Ursula Le Guin (known from earthsea but has written much more interesting books imo)
Neil Gaiman
Robert Rankin (!!! this one especially is worth checking out if you want a smile on your face! pure genius, the stuff of epics!)
Douglas Adams
Stephen R Donaldson (fantasy -the illearth war)
Clive Barker -Abarat series

some from the top of my head…

tracking and the art of seeing- paul rezendes
botany in a day- thomas j. elpel

wildeyes,

for fiction, “into the forest” by jean hegland is about two sisters surviving together in the redwood forest of northern california during the collapse of civilization.

Another fiction suggestion: Penguin Island by Anatole France.

(It’s a satire of well … pretty much all of Western civilization: politics, religion, property, “revolution,” the whole shebang.)

Gaia’s Garden by Toby Hemenway
Perception of the Environment: Essays in Livelihood, Dwelling and Skill by Tim Ingold
Sensory Worlds in Early America by Peter Charles Hoffer
Dirt: The Ecstatic Skin of the Earth by William Bryant Logan
Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations by David R. Montgomery

nemoralis,

thanks for the suggestion of into the forest. i just finished it – fantastic!

~wildeyes

Edible Forest Gardens Volume I and II by Dave Jacke and Eric Toensmeier
DIRT: The Erosions of Civilizations by David R. Montgomery
Tending The Wild by M. Kat Anderson
Restoring the Pacific Northwest by Eric Higgs, Dean Apostol, and Marcia Sinclair

Just finished:

Keeping it Living by Nancy Turner
The Earths Blanket by Nancy Turner

The Serpent and the Rainbow - Wade Davis
Expressions of Emotion in Man and Animals - Charles Darwin

Against Civilization
Editor: John Zerzan

Hells yeah!

Medicine Road, by Charles deLint

Wow, it feels very very refreshing to read some fun animist fiction. AND, it takes place in Tucson!!! Sigh. I swoon for the Sonora desert. A lump rose up in my throat when I read about how the creosote spirits–"…kept to themselves. Their thoughts went inward and deep into the earth, unlike the friendlier spirits who were more ready to share their knowledge with others."

I have told myself again to read just one book at a time. We’ll see how long that lasts. :wink: The stack beckons. . .

Why read just one book at a time ;)? I’m currently reading:

Traces of an Ominivore - Paul Shepard

THe Upside of Down - Thomas Homer Dixon

A number of different books on phemenology - really interesting stuff, mentioned in spell of the sensuous

On anohter note, related to books, what do people think is the best book to introduce soemone to the whole re-wilding thing?

I don’t know if there’s a “best.” Ishmael got me. But once upon a time, I read Island of the Blue Dolphins… I have a hunch it depends on how a person thinks and what they choose to pay attention to in the world. Some people really hate Ishmael.

And if they don’t really care about the life-world, then nothing they read is really going to inspire them to rewild.