Clothing

Well, I’ve been looking into making my own clothing, but new fabric costs a lot. Once you’ve bought yards of fabric, thread, patterns, etc., etc. you’ve paid more than the cost of a wardrobe of sweatshop-made clothing from kmart, and you’ve still got hours of cutting, sewing, and measuring ahead of you. Then I thought: why not buy used clothing from goodwill and remake it into something I can use? Or even recycle my own worn out clothing, as housewives have done for centuries. Lo and behold, I ran into this book in the craft section of the bookstore: 108 Ways to Transform a T-shirt
It has hand sew and no-sew patterns for women’s shirts, a couple of unisex shirts, and skirts. a lot of them don’t really appeal to my style, but some I like and it’s given me a great starting point. I did my first one today and I think it turned out pretty well :D.

Awesome, starfish!!! :slight_smile:

I have this old 1974 book, Gladrags/Redesigning, Remaking, Refitting All Your Old Clothes (by Delia Brock & Lorraine Bodger) for inspiration. I’ve done this for a long time. As a teenager I took this long green & gold plaid wool skirt of my mom’s & chopped it into a miniskirt, which turned into my favorite article of clothing for years. I also like adding secret pockets, reshaping side seams on t shirts, covering ugly words & pictures on t-shirts with something else, etc.

Rather than buying patterns, you can take a garment you already like fitwise, identify the various pieces, and trace around them and add a seam allowance. I saw a really amazing pair of pants a friend made this way from an old men’s wool coat. I want to do the same with sort of a yoga-pants shape. Also, some for my son. Wool pants rock for the wet/winter weather. I can’t figure out why I can’t find any for kids? I guess I could, if I looked at REI or something instead of resale shops. . .

If you want clothes that will last FOREVER… consider clothing made of canvas painters drop cloths… natural canvas, relativly inexpensive, and super durable. Sew using a sewing machine set up for denim. I have 2 pairs of pants I made that I have been wearing for 9 years!