Clothing- From the ground up

By the way, hail- I’m freshly registered.

Regardless- for those of us who are in brushy, dense wooded, or ground-level-hazardous areas, try gaiters. They work wonders for protecting the legs and ankles, they’re breathable, and best of all, simple to construct.

The idea just popped in my head to post that nugget, sorry if I’m out of place.

-Aed

what do yo suggest? seems like a smooth bark would make the most sense faced with brambles of all kinds? I have the campquistador, gander mountain-branded waterproof ones. What should I do when these become old and useless?
btw, welcome, hello, all that, cheers for diving right in.

Uhhh… little help for those ov us not familliar with “gaiters”… ???

leggings or chaps

The way I understand gaiters, they’re waterproof pants, often with suspenders, and made to fit over your regular pants.

All the gaiters I have worn or seen were worn from just below the knee down to the foot like “spats” with a little stirrup that goes under the foot. They cover the top of your shoe or boot to keep snow and stuff from getting inside your shoe and they keep the bottom of your pants dry. I’ve worn them a lot snowshoeing and cross country skiing.
Like these;
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/category/home/gaiters

or, if you have an old wool sweater with holey armpits, you can cut off the sleeves for some pretty cool gaiters. i just tried mine out hiking around in the snow. they worked great, but i think they could use a few stitches behind the ankle to improve the fit so they don’t slide around to the sides so much. (thanks penny scout for the idea!)