Choice

The conversation about kids being picky eaters has me thinking about choices. It seems to me that in indigenous cultures, especially in the past, people had a lot fewer choices to make. This has a big effect on the ability to pass on tradition and knowlege.
If a young person has the ability to choose from a hundred different lifestyles, value systems, career paths etc. or to mix and match it all in an infinite number of ways. Plus being bombarded with information, attitudes and morals from all kinds of cultures, it makes it a lot harder to pass on a tradition or knowlege in any kind of clear, un-watered down or bastardized way.
Most indigenous cultures have protocols and requirements of the people who are “members”. If a person is exposed to a range of other cultures that don’t have those same requirements, and there are elements that are taken out of context and mixed up, it becomes a culture of mixing and matching to always find the easy way. A kind of “if it feels good, do it” kind of culture that starts to lack in things like the concept of service.

How many of us now would willingly give up all those choices that we have? All the access to “information” which is often not really information at all, it’s just clutter. But wait, isn’t it that same wide openness and abundance of information that allows us to be able to choose rewilding?
How do we find a kind of moral compass to navigate through all the worthless but distracting and often deceptive bullshit? How does a kid choose to eat deer liver and camas with whipped up soapberries for dessert when they know that there is pizza pockets or macaroni dinner and ice cream?

Thoughts?

“…How does a kid choose to eat deer liver and camas with whipped up soapberries for dessert when they know that there is pizza pockets or macaroni dinner and ice cream?..”

Yeah, civilization aka “cancer” is omnipresent. I’m still wondering how the hell to efficiently counter civilization’s propagation in my son’s mind and heart for example.

I try and make him aware of “its” dirty little tricks to manipulate people’s thoughts and feelings, and actions. It’s touchy though. It’s easy to rebuff someone while doing that.

For now, it’s about all I can think of.

our culture has trained us to except simple “because i said so.” answers, the kind of answers i think we’ve probably all heard from our parents at some point, and the kind that drove us crazy as kids. those answers don’t suffice because they really don’t explain anything. I used to hate how my nephew would continuously batter me with "but why?"s until i began answering him with full explanations instead of a simple “because i said so.”. kids love a full answer that makes sense to them and i try to give them full explanations as often as possible so that they’ll demand full explanations from anything else they meet in life. i figure if they can tell the difference between a good explanation and a bad “because i said so” explanation, they’ll be able to sort through any kind of deceptive bullshit that they may meet later on in life.

so when i’m standing in front of the frozen foods section in the grocery store and my nephew asks me to get the neon colored, rainbow, chemical pumped pop sickles that glow in the dark i turn the question around and ask him “but why?”. if he can’t give me a full answer as to why those pop sickles are so “good” besides the fact that they “look good” he usually figures out that he doesn’t really want them anyways.

my nephew taught me to ask that same annoying “but why” of the world. anything that can’t give me a reasonable exclamation beyond “because it looks good” or “because i said so” is clearly not worth my time.

How about if when you ask the “but why” question, the answer is;
There is a very good reason. From where you are right now, you probably would not be able to fully understand it, so for now take my word for it and in time you will come to know your own reason why.

How would an answer like that go over?

I’m not really talking about food choices.

i was using the food choice thing as an analogy:
in my opinion, we rely (unhealthily) on civilization for our needs a lot like a child would rely on a parent because we’ve replaced the original mother (earth) with civ. i think a lot of parents emulate civilization in their relation to there children. i find myself surrounded by a culture that is constantly trying to supply me with things i don’t need by trying to convince me that i do or don’t need them.

when i ask “why do i need that?”, civilization (like many civ parents) in essence often replies “because i said so”.

of course there are times when a full explanation to a child’s question is not going to make much sense and confuse, but there are times when i see myself and others just giving the “because i said so” answer for the sake of dodging a perfectly reasonable question. when i worked at a summer camp for a month for the last three years and when i babysit my nieces and nephew, i find that kids understand a lot of things if i put it in “kid terms”. kids are often as sophisticated as adults, they just speak a different language. when we assume that they won’t understand certain things, we undermine their intelligence.

civilization does the same thing to adults. it undermines our intelligence by giving us slippery reasoning for things it doesn’t really want to explain.

as a teen, i find myself increasingly confronted with all kinds of choices.
as you said:

:[quote=“heyvictor, post:1, topic:1034”]If a young person has the ability to choose from a hundred different lifestyles, value systems, career paths etc. or to mix and match it all in an infinite number of ways. Plus being bombarded with information, attitudes and morals from all kinds of cultures, it makes it a lot harder to pass on a tradition or knowlege in any kind of clear, un-watered down or bastardized way.

How many of us now would willingly give up all those choices that we have? All the access to “information” which is often not really information at all, it’s just clutter. But wait, isn’t it that same wide openness and abundance of information that allows us to be able to choose rewilding?
How do we find a kind of moral compass to navigate through all the worthless but distracting and often deceptive bullshit?[/quote]

the moral compass i use to navigate through all that bs is by asking the “but why” question. there are obviously things that i’ll only understand as i get older, but for now, the best thing i can do is to keep questioning every choice i make that is in some way influenced by civ, instead of just excepting those dodgey “because i sad so” answers. I find the most important cultural values are based on some degree of common sence, and common sence is exactly what civ culture avoids. this culture teaches us to avoid common sense and impairs our ability to use it. if people were to question this culture and it’s values, i think they’d come up with the answers pretty easily. the problem is that most of us (something i see a lot of in my friends) don’t know how to use that common sense “muscle” anymore. we haven’t exercised it in so long, we just except all the bs as a way things are, “because it tastes good”, “because it feels good”, all those “because i said so” reasons. those flashy cultural civ values are a lot like the colors and tastes civ tries to hook our kids with (hence the pop sickle analogy i used) and with a little common sense, we’ll find that those things, be they brightly colored pop sickles or attractive cultural values, are only a replacement for the real camas and soap berries or the fundemental (re)wild values that are inherent in us all. all we need to do is to keep questioning every thing civilization throws at us and i believe we can sieve out the real values that are the fundamentals in most indigenous cultures.

of course that’s just my opinion and maybe those aren’t the thoughts your looking for. i’m also not a very wordy person and i find it hard to explain myself sometimes. i hope i didn’t sound too confused in my ranting.

“i hope i didn’t sound too confused in my ranting.”

Not at all.

So true! Great point.

I think this is awesome. I think kids have so much to teach us adults, if we are willing to listen and look at things from their perspective.

Agreed. Sometimes hanging out with a kid helps me notice things about myself I want to change. They pick up on “hidden” messages so easily and respond to them, and if you can decipher what it is you’re doing that they’re responding to, it’s pretty illuminating. And humbling. :slight_smile:

“How many of us now would willingly give up all those choices that we have?”

There will be some of us. Those who have tasted the freedom that comes with true poverty.
As always, there will be many, many, many more that see fit to follow the societal norms and fit in. The many will rule and the few will be judged as misfits and weirdos.
So be it.

alan

I believe the moral compass can be found when all things are accounted for. When the cause and effect of every action is analyzed. When you think about things on a large scale and really think about the effects of your actions on all creatures involved, distant or near. The internet is great but if you think about more then just the pleasures it brings you, and think about all the resources that go into it, it stops being worth it anymore. When you begin thinking of others the same way you think of yourself, you have found your moral compass. I guess you could call that empathy.

I like to think of it spiritually, in terms of good and bad energy. When I buy sneakers made in China by people making not even enough to eat, forced to work ridiculous hours, forced to work unnecessarily hard, I am consuming bad energy. When I eat meat that’s been factory farmed, I’m consuming bad energy. Anytime I consume something that hurts another organism, plant or animal, I am consuming bad energy. This is because the things I am consuming result in the pain and suffering of another creature.

In civilization it is encouraged to overload yourself on so much bad energy that too reverse the process to most seems totally impossible. One is trained to casually accept that almost everything they consume is damaging plant and animal life, moreover living beings that they will never come in contact with. As thunderthighs said, we are supposed to explain this to our children, and ourselves as “just the way it is, because someone said so”. People become so sucked into this lifestyle that they lose faith that there is any good energy out there and turn to hedonism. Seeking pleasure at all costs with no regard to who or what is affected.

All in All I’d say the only moral compass there is is one that guides you away from hurting other creatures beyond necessity. Thinking about the community and not just your self. One that works with not against natural systems of life. We will consume as we are alive, but we can consume without destroying. And rather our consumption can be made into a good thing. Say you see a pack of deer being slowed by an injured member of the pack. If your to kill the weak link the pack will be stronger for it. Also you killing and eating the deer will re-enter it into the ecosystem.

Funny how this stuff works, I just saw this thread today, and then just heard the first part of this on NPR.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2008/11/14

One of my professors at the university related a funny story about bringing her children to the field in Africa to do archaeology. In the rural village they stayed in, their cook often served them boiled chicken bones as a dish, since if you boil them enough all the connective tissue gets out and they basically fall apart in your mouth. Her children used to -love- eating these chicken bones, especially the skulls. At some point, after a couple of years, they ‘figured out what they were’ and than they were disgusted by them and wouldn’t eat them.

I would say it has something to do with expectations and how you view things in the world.