Chives

I picked a bunch of chives tonight, to put in our supper, from a little spot where we planted them in our yard. Man they are so good and require hardly any care from us. They grow back every year in a nice big clump and we eat them all summer in salads, in omelettes, with potatoes, with meat, in soups. This clump has been there about five years. We have other clumps that have been coming back for 15 years or more

They are pretty easy to plant around the house in places where they get some water. They are pretty well, self sufficient little plants. They don’t really spread rapidly but they come back reliably every year. Pick the flowers off right away and they stay pretty tender through the summer. They’re great. They really add some nice flavor to whatever you put them in.

Yea, we’ve had chives growing in our derelict garden since as long as I can remember. My parents planted them when we started the garden a couple decades ago, and every year we have a fresh supply. They’re great.

There’s also a million chives growing on campus at Rhode Island College, though I rarely harvest them since many are near roads.

Yeah, I love fresh cut chives, there were a few growing back our back step, but I think they got overgrown by soemthing else last summer unforunately.