Children's Books for Rewilding

Thanks everyone!

i had most of it except for some ones i’d never heard of: Eranidi, Uno or Blue Dolphin isle. thanks again.

The Fire-Us trilogy does indeed sound interesting.

i have decided to include Little Tree (albeit with a HUGE dislclaimer) in the fiction for a few reasons.

Well basically for the same reasons i have also included Tom Brown Jr.s Field Guide to Nature Survival for Children :wink:

keep 'em coming…

i agree.

and actually a large part of my life is the spontaneous stories our family makes up on the spot (my daughter still believes fairies are born everytime she farts…)

but i have long wanted a radical reading list for the greens, primmitivists, rewilders and all.

all the “radical” lists out there now are basically biographies of civil rights leaders and social justice issues. i want to go deeper.

and at the end i do plan on including a warning/critique of “book-learning” as opposed to “life-learning” and hope to go into the importance of oral traditions and myth and personal interaction, etc.

perhaps you’d like to help me with that?

in defence of woodpecker holes,
ww

Those are good,and I feel obvious ways to bring the wilderness and rewilding close to home,for our little one.Yes,we must remember and in some cases revive the oral traditions.
I think creating songlines to share with my son would be a great way to get this knowledge to stick,in a fun way.
However,Didn’t Primal parent communicate the need for books for a bibliography?

Hear hear. I feel the stories we tell outside encourage our kids to see how they are part of the story, although I guess they already see it that way. I love to hear my son say, thanks, plantain! Or, I’m leaving you some nuts, squirrel. Don’t forget to leave me some! Or, the blackberries told me to stop eating, it’s the bluejays’ turn.

That said, I happily found this book: The Other Way to Listen, by Byrd Baylor and Peter Parnall, and wished desperately to visit with my grandpa again (gulp).

Scavenger, Island of the Blue Dolphins rocks! One of my childhood faves.

I thought this was interesting (from an interview with Unschool Author John Holt):

What is your philosophy about teaching reading?

I think the teaching of reading is mostly what prevents reading. Different children learn different ways. I think reading aloud is fun, but I would never read aloud to a kid so that the kid would learn to read. You read aloud because it’s fun and companionable. You hold a child, sitting next to you or on your lap, reading this story that you’re having fun with, and if it isn’t a cozy, happy, warm, friendly, loving experience, then you shouldn’t do it. It isn’t going to do any good.

I think children are attracted toward the adult world. It’s nice to have children’s books, but far too many of them have too much in the way of pictures. When children see books, as they do in the family where the adults read, with pages and pages and pages of print, it becomes pretty clear that if you’re going to find out what’s in those books, you’re going to have to read from that print. I don’t think there’s any way to make reading interesting to children in a family in which it isn’t interesting to adults.

Perhaps rewilding doesn’t involve using “childrens” books at all? I read an article where a woman taught her child to read using Lord of the Rings. One day he was caught in kindergarden, reading Beowulf. Without his moms knowledge he took it off the shelf from home and took it to school to read. 5 years old! The teacher didn’t believe him and so he read some of it to her. He didn’t quite understand what some of the words meant, but he could read them. That was the important part I guess.

Of csorue, fcuk leticray alothetgr if you ask me. E-prime it otherwise.

by tolkein??

I listened to it, but it was a sleeper, too many names and biography and all that.

I forgot about Watership Down and Island of the Blue Dolphin. I loved those books. Uno’s Garden has beautiful pictures, and the math part is interesting, but I, personally wouldn’t recommend it. The last line, “The forest and the city were in perfect balance,” ruined it for me. It reinforces the civilized assumption that humans are not part of nature.

nice!

it seems unavoidable. but you won’t see any freaking phonics flashcards at my house!

I find it disturbing sometimes that i can’t remember or understand a word until i know how it’s spelled, so i can “see” it. like i don’t trust my ears? wtf?

Oh, that makes sense to me. Written words, being even more divorced from reality, make even more potent ideas.

OK, I’ve got a couple more additions:

The Secret of Saying Thanks by Douglas Wood
We read this and took it to heart–then I heard Mohawk elder Jake Swamp’s words about giving thanks last week and felt moved to share this w/other parents.

Crow and Weasel by Barry Lopez
Two young braves venture out to go further north than any of their people have ever gone. Our first “children’s storybook” in which the characters make bowdrill fires, hunt and dry meat, etc.

The Dark Way: Stories from the Spirit World, told by Virginia Hamilton
banshees, goblins, boogeymen, manitous, witches, magicians, godesses, golems, and good ole Fenris!

I have something to add from the spirit world–all the books above jumped off the shelf at me in a secondhand book store–I wasn’t looking for them, they found me. I hadn’t even planned on going to that store, I think it tugged me.

Another recent read that I hugely enjoyed, Going Native by Tom Harmer, did the same thing at the library as I walked past its shelf.

How can I leave this out?
Indian Camping and Fishing by Robert Hofsinde
found it in the kids’ section at Powells–but great for rewilding “grownups” too–cool drawings of various fish-catching implements made from sticks and cordage, and ways to cut & hang up fish to dry/cook. . .

The Last Unicorn. Although I remember it as an animation, it is still one of my favorites from childhood. I don’t know if it’s actually a rewilding book, but it does tell of the unicorn going back to the forest intead of staying a human…

Where The Wild Things Are. Another of my favorites even now!

-emily

For older children:

As The World Burns: 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial, a graphic novel by Derrick Jensen and Stephanie McMillan (illustrator) / 2007, Seven Stories Press

The Secret World of Terijian looks really good.

http://www.crimethinc.be/site/index.html

Curt

My maternal grandmother was reading Charles Dickens at age 8 or so.

The link to Scout’s story: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/guest/files/080102.html

You’ll notice he read the Lays of Beleriand, not Beowulf. Not much of a difference really. :slight_smile:

You son of a bi… uh, asshole! I’ve been trying to get you to find the link forever. Do you know how many f’ing times I have searched for that. How did you find it? Please tell me your secret.
:slight_smile:

[quote=“Urban Scout, post:31, topic:347”]You son of a bi… uh, asshole! I’ve been trying to get you to find the link forever. Do you know how many f’ing times I have searched for that. How did you find it? Please tell me your secret.
:)[/quote]

I guess you didn’t search hard enough. Mweah! :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, so I didn’t feel like looking until it suited my malign and recondite purposes. And now, as the cachinnations of a thousand Ban-Shee (more correctly spelled ‘sidhe’, I just discovered) fill your ears, may I say that a disciple of the omniscient Lord Interweb never reveals his secrets.

Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt.

I loved this novel in 5th grade. It was a lot like Hatchet and Island of the Blue Dolphins in that it featured a kid (in this case, a group of kids, siblings) surviving by their wits. I haven’t read it in years, but I’d venture to say that a big theme of the book was the importance of family and working together.

le petit prince (the little prince)by: Antoine de Saint-Exupery, i find really beautiful…

Did anyone mention ‘Shanleya’s Quest’? I skimmed through previous posts, but didn’t see it. A botany adventure for kids.

http://www.hopspress.com/Books/Shanleya’s_Quest.htm

I read it to my 5-yr-old the other day and now she can’t wait for the flowers to come up so we can take it outside.

I like to check out books on wind, weather, animals, gardens, etc, at the library and read them outside with my kids.