Children's Books for Rewilding

by tolkein??

I listened to it, but it was a sleeper, too many names and biography and all that.

I forgot about Watership Down and Island of the Blue Dolphin. I loved those books. Uno’s Garden has beautiful pictures, and the math part is interesting, but I, personally wouldn’t recommend it. The last line, “The forest and the city were in perfect balance,” ruined it for me. It reinforces the civilized assumption that humans are not part of nature.

nice!

it seems unavoidable. but you won’t see any freaking phonics flashcards at my house!

I find it disturbing sometimes that i can’t remember or understand a word until i know how it’s spelled, so i can “see” it. like i don’t trust my ears? wtf?

Oh, that makes sense to me. Written words, being even more divorced from reality, make even more potent ideas.

OK, I’ve got a couple more additions:

The Secret of Saying Thanks by Douglas Wood
We read this and took it to heart–then I heard Mohawk elder Jake Swamp’s words about giving thanks last week and felt moved to share this w/other parents.

Crow and Weasel by Barry Lopez
Two young braves venture out to go further north than any of their people have ever gone. Our first “children’s storybook” in which the characters make bowdrill fires, hunt and dry meat, etc.

The Dark Way: Stories from the Spirit World, told by Virginia Hamilton
banshees, goblins, boogeymen, manitous, witches, magicians, godesses, golems, and good ole Fenris!

I have something to add from the spirit world–all the books above jumped off the shelf at me in a secondhand book store–I wasn’t looking for them, they found me. I hadn’t even planned on going to that store, I think it tugged me.

Another recent read that I hugely enjoyed, Going Native by Tom Harmer, did the same thing at the library as I walked past its shelf.

How can I leave this out?
Indian Camping and Fishing by Robert Hofsinde
found it in the kids’ section at Powells–but great for rewilding “grownups” too–cool drawings of various fish-catching implements made from sticks and cordage, and ways to cut & hang up fish to dry/cook. . .

The Last Unicorn. Although I remember it as an animation, it is still one of my favorites from childhood. I don’t know if it’s actually a rewilding book, but it does tell of the unicorn going back to the forest intead of staying a human…

Where The Wild Things Are. Another of my favorites even now!

-emily

For older children:

As The World Burns: 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial, a graphic novel by Derrick Jensen and Stephanie McMillan (illustrator) / 2007, Seven Stories Press

The Secret World of Terijian looks really good.

http://www.crimethinc.be/site/index.html

Curt

My maternal grandmother was reading Charles Dickens at age 8 or so.

The link to Scout’s story: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/guest/files/080102.html

You’ll notice he read the Lays of Beleriand, not Beowulf. Not much of a difference really. :slight_smile:

You son of a bi… uh, asshole! I’ve been trying to get you to find the link forever. Do you know how many f’ing times I have searched for that. How did you find it? Please tell me your secret.
:slight_smile:

[quote=“Urban Scout, post:31, topic:347”]You son of a bi… uh, asshole! I’ve been trying to get you to find the link forever. Do you know how many f’ing times I have searched for that. How did you find it? Please tell me your secret.
:)[/quote]

I guess you didn’t search hard enough. Mweah! :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, so I didn’t feel like looking until it suited my malign and recondite purposes. And now, as the cachinnations of a thousand Ban-Shee (more correctly spelled ‘sidhe’, I just discovered) fill your ears, may I say that a disciple of the omniscient Lord Interweb never reveals his secrets.

Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt.

I loved this novel in 5th grade. It was a lot like Hatchet and Island of the Blue Dolphins in that it featured a kid (in this case, a group of kids, siblings) surviving by their wits. I haven’t read it in years, but I’d venture to say that a big theme of the book was the importance of family and working together.

le petit prince (the little prince)by: Antoine de Saint-Exupery, i find really beautiful…

Did anyone mention ‘Shanleya’s Quest’? I skimmed through previous posts, but didn’t see it. A botany adventure for kids.

http://www.hopspress.com/Books/Shanleya’s_Quest.htm

I read it to my 5-yr-old the other day and now she can’t wait for the flowers to come up so we can take it outside.

I like to check out books on wind, weather, animals, gardens, etc, at the library and read them outside with my kids.

hey primal parent,

didn’t you say something about a zine on rewilding with the kiddos? how do we get hold of it?

thanks again yall for the help.
(i would say the bibliography is done, but i seem to hear of a new book every day)

as it stands i have a couple pages worth compiled under the following sections:

Primitive Skills
Awareness Activities
Reconnecting
Feral/Rewilding
Fauna/Animal Relations
Edible/Medicinal Plants
Mushrooms
Permaculture
Indigenous - General
Indigenous - Resistance
Anti-Authoritarian - General
Anti-Authoritarian - Individuals
Creation/Insurrection
Direct Action
Miscellaneous
Little Folks (Elves, Faeries, etc.)

if yall are interested in a particular section, i’d be glad to type it up.

the zine is pretty much done. i’m not completely happy with it, so i sent a few copies out to friends. just waiting for feedback from them.

i’ll check today and see how many copies of #1 i still have.

Hmmmm… do you have Brother Eagle, Sister Sky on the list?

I found another at the library last week. What Elephant by Genevieve Cote. It reminds me of the story, “The Emperor’s New Clothes”.

There is “My side of the mountain”, and I like both “Rabbit island” and “the sea people(?)” by jorg steiner.