Challenges?

Hey, I was just looking at the challenges I know some of you had been doing, and then realized there haven’t been any since August (I think). I’d like to keep those going, and maybe they can provide inspiration for what people can do at their rewild camps for workshops and tutorials.

I say we do cordage and Knot tying!

Also, I think the challenges would work better if we had a formula for them. Like, a framework. Something like this:

1. Write a paragraph about what you tried
  2. Post a pic of the project (could be a cell phone pic)
  3. Write a paragraph about what worked well and what you would do differently next time.

I don’t know if that would work, but I think it needs a formula of some kind, like our E-Prime Sandbox.

Cool, yeah I’d go for more of them. Cordage and knot tying bw now and end of Decemeber?

Okay, cool. What kind of knots do we want to display? Any kinds? Should we make a few different cordage materials into workable cords?

Hopefully I’ll be able to get hold of a digital camera to show you what I’ve done, but I can tell you now that I’ll be making stuff out of nettles (still have plenty that’s green here), milkweed, and cattail. I’ve made some nice, beefy cattail ropes.

No progress so far. Running out of time in this year! In Mesa, AZ, might need to pilfer a little yucca to do this right.

As for knots, I plan to do five learned at Rabbitstick, and a lashing one (clove hitch?) a website called the most important knot.

Ok, made a couple cordages:

At Rewild Portland Rewild Camp, about 4 feet of nettle fiber:

Reeds by road. Will show picture of eight-ply cordage I made later:

Knots I learned from Knot Alan at Rabbitstick will come on later [size=8pt](after I remember them 8))[/size]