Bows

So, after pondering figuring out how to make a bow for awhile, i’ve decided that i’m going to be differently practical and buy a bow that someone else made. i don’t want to get a compound bow, but a relatively traditional bow, something more similar to what i will make in the future. but, i really have no idea what i’m doing. does anyone have experience they could share about price ranges, places to buy, things to consider about the make up of a bow, etc.?

www.3riversarchery.com looks good:-) I’l buy a longbow in english yew myself when I get the money:-)

look on paleoplanet there is a board for bows and a trade board lots of bow makers websites are linked there as well

I’ve made a few bows myself, and it’s actually not impractical/too difficult. Just make sure the grain is right, and understand that almost all of the time you put into making it will be taken up with tillering.

Also, quantity is quality. Your fist bow will suck, and so will your second, but less so. It will get easier AND faster the more you do it…don’t be afraid to fail a few times.

I highly recommend ash for your first bow! Oak is too hard to work with.

I busted my first ash bow. Oops. Tension failure while tillering. POOF!! 3 pieces. Never found one of them.

Cut a sapling no more than 4" in diameter, trim the branches, cut to length, split down middle. Peel bark off. Back of bow finished. Let sit for a week. Do not work back of bow again.

Rough cut front profile with hatchet, use a scraper or plane (or pocketknife or sharp rock, etc.) to get it to finished shape. Slightly ROUND corners so you don’t break it while tillering by lifting a corner (experience talking). Tiller by SLOWLY shaving away stiff parts of the belly (the side that faces you) until it bends properly… shave away only at stiff parts, and check it OFTEN by pulling on it with an extra long string (one that can sit in the nocks without bending it). When it’s down to where you can draw it and it looks good when at full draw…

String, shoot, exercise, let sit 'til tomorrow, repeat, done. Maybe wipe it down with some finish to help waterproof it.

^^ Basic steps… go to paleoplanet69529.yuku.com and read away. A lot of people can go from cut to working bow in a morning, but I’d suggest letting it dry after you’ve roughed it before you go pulling on it :wink:

The Traditional Bowyer’s Bible Vol.!-IV are worth the money.