Beaching Whales

Just read about the Pilot whales and Dolphins beaching themselves in Tasmania. People said they could hear them crying. Why do they do this? I told a friend of mine that all the road killed animals may be suicides, because of what us twoleggeds have done to this planet. Could it be the same for the whales? My spirit aches.

Bill

I am guessing human activity on the sea and on land is somehow disrupting their navigation systems. How do they navigate anyway, magnetism?

they use echolocation to navigate and communicate with each other, so the sonar boats use to navigate confuses them.

In Endgame Derrick talks about how all the under water sea exploration for oil is killing them and causing them to beach because of the under water explosions and sonic booms are so loud they are basically causing their ears to explode. It’s really fucked up and sad.

On a lighter note:

watch this

I remember nearly puking with rage and sadness when I read that part. Luckily I didn’t, because I was on break at work and that probably would have ruined the suit they made me wear (that job really sucked).

I always thought it was something to do with sonar used by boats effecting their navigation?

Seems there’s a few theories though and it may depend on the situation as to the cause. For example their were beachings hundreds of years before electricity was even invented. Here’s a short summary, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_beaching

Speaking of Tasmania and dead animals, last time I was there we were driving back to our accomodation after watching the spectacle of hundreds of birds coming in from the sea to roost in the sand dunes at dusk. In that hour we had to slow down/stop over a dozen times to avoid killing wallabies on the road. If you go for a drive along any tasmanian road away from the cities in the morning, you’ll see many many carcasses. Normally Tasmanian Devils cleaned up the kills very effectively, however their numbers are dropping (from facial tumour disease) and so the bodies are piling up more today than in the past. From a rewilding perspective, you could get more meat than you could ever possibly eat, although spoilage from the guts is always a risk with roadkill?

My friend at work says it is massive use of sonar equipment. What is wrong with people who have no compassion for anything that is not twolegged. I’d love to shove their sonar up the nasty greedy butts.

Bill

[quote=“Bill, post:7, topic:1344”] I’d love to shove their sonar up the nasty greedy butts.

Bill[/quote]

i support this kind of attitude.

if there were a thumbs up icon i’d post it.