Be Affraid. Very very VERY affraid

The following article demonstrates how wrong re-wilding can go. I’m still not quite sure how to view these people… I’m totally freaked out, though.

My favorite line was: “You know, if you can get by making the bare minimum - say, $200,000, why go for more, you know?” Somebody shoot me.

http://home.retrolithic.org/node/44

holy shit!!! that almost sounds like a prank story. or a really bad dream.

twisted.

I really hope there aren’t too many people with that mindset out there…I mean, maybe their intentions are good, but it’s still quite terrifying to me…

I just don’t even know how to react, haha, I’m a bit awestruck.

Funny thing, i got that article some weeks ago from a friend of mine and i immediately dismissed it as being a prank. Just silly. Otherwise…seriously twisted… weird stuff

Ugh…

that’s the kind of thing I said I was scared of in this conversation. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s a joke. I also think their intentions are good. What makes it even weirder for me is that I almost feel like I could know those people (or know of them). My ex was/is a technology sector bigwig … and while he has a more-or-less grounded personality, he knows some well-intentioned people who nonetheless have very scary notions in their heads.

Yeah, I discovered that a while back, and I looked around to try and see if it was for real. The article looks like it was in a number of different places, even one in print, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Yeah, it sounds like a totally bad dream, the rich kids version of re-wilding. There was a line in there that showed the bias of the author not the tribe though, when the author commented on the cruelty of trapping and eating birds. In general though, totally scary, and the really scary thing is that a set up like that could work be sustainable, as long as there was some form of economy, even though it is totally destructive to create in the first place.

That’s what happens when you read Daniel Quinn without Derrick Jensen. It’s true.

The “Segway vs. Walking economy” quote left me dumbstruck. I’ve never heard such bizarre fucked up logic since…well, the civ.

when i first read that it seemed obvious to me that it was satire. did i read it wrong?

i vote hoax. definitely.

Hahaha! I’m going to start calling it that. Like it’s an STD. “The Civ.”

Edit: hope you don’t mind… I am such a copycat sometimes.

I didnt have to read it all to see that its fuckin bullshit!
How could anyone be so stupid?

I re-read the article a couple times, looking for loop-holes (like, where does one get 50,000 acres of unmodified land in the oldest settled region in America? or, how precisely do they hunt elk in NE? with honest-to-god spears, exactly?), and I’m leaning more toward the “hoax” (more like comedy/satire?) conclusion… When I posted the article, I was pretty up in the air, though, having just read it and all. Still pretty scary, at first read.

I’d like to find out who the original author is, though.

[quote=“BlueHeron, post:11, topic:909”][quote author=Django link=topic=962.msg10490#msg10490 date=1212116966]
The “Segway vs. Walking economy” quote left me dumbstruck. I’ve never heard such bizarre fucked up logic since…well, the civ.
[/quote]

Hahaha! I’m going to start calling it that. Like it’s an STD. “The Civ.”

Edit: hope you don’t mind… I am such a copycat sometimes.[/quote]

Haha, no problem. I actually didn’t make that up, I got it from WildeRix, so unless he got it from somebody else, you can thank him for that.

If that’s a hoax it’s a scary hoax.

I’m glad I don’t live in New England at the moment :frowning:

I read three lines and knew it was a hoax. Not hard to figure out, guys.

And New England happens to be quite beautiful right now, thank-you-very-much! Providence is a shite city just like any city, of course, as is Boston. But aside from the few city-complexes, Rhode Island is a nice place, as is most of New England.

Starving Wolf, I have to agree that quite a few details are fishy…

my first clue that it was a hoax:

they are techies from Seattle and they choose to move to the EAST Coast to fulfill their back to the land dreams?

The land available in WA is far more suited to that goal than any supposed 50,000 acres still left in New England

second clue:

I’m not sure on this, but how much meat is there on a house sparrow? enough for “lunch”? I’ve held enough Passerines in my palm to know that minus feathers, bones, and innards, there ain’t much there. Why go to the trouble of having retractable nest box traps for sparrows when you have imported gazelles for sport hunting?

Aside from the gazelles, what are elk and badgers doing in New England? Not to mention the wolves and bears? Weren’t they long ago eradicated from the NE?

50,000 acres is only about 78 square miles, which amounts to about 9 miles by 9… both too large and too small at the same time…

what gives?

Actually, bears are making a comeback in many areas of New England. Wolves, we don’t get so often.

I wonder if it didn’t jump out as a hoax to some here, because we actually view wilderness living as a good thing. To someone who thinks it a ridiculous notion, the whole thing would be one big joke. Half the intended comedy is probably “Living in the woods, lol…good one.” Civies wouldn’t take any of it seriously.

:open_mouth:

OMFG.

when i first started to read this i thot, hmm nothing REALLY wrong with that. But then i noticed (like the comment pointed out). They actually never condemned the technology, or said they will be slowly moving to a more natural way of life, that is ACTUALLY sustainable. Like i DO thing we can use some of mans “innovations” to get us started on living a wild life. Sort of like a gradual rewilding. And then i read the part where they held corportate jobs, and wanted to introduce strict birth control measures as “Law” or some such thing, and i was jst like “wow this guy is …” i jst cant think of a good word here…

-Tj