Any Avatar fans out there?

Notice any anti-civ themes in the show?

How about these:
Fire Nation as modern civilization trying to destroy/conquer the rest of the world and deplete natural resources
Water Tribe as indigenous people on the brink with intact mythology and powers barely
Martial Arts and movement practices based off of natural phenomenon as keys to spiritual growth
Wild foods and herbs and medicines hinted at in multiple episodes

Anything else?

(If someone wants to know more about the show, just ask and I’ll post a brief description?)

my nephew and i love avatar.
i don’t think the fire nation is the only civilized nation. the other nations have cities and stuff too.

i know what you mean though. like in the episode where ang confronts the forest spirit who is kidnapping the earth nation villagers for burning down the forest.

it’s a good show.

you can watch free episodes here:
http://www.avatarche.com/chapter.htm

Right here.

I saw Avatar pretty recently and I liked it. But, there are some overriding themes of “Civilisation is still pretty good, Empire is not”. The northern water tribe had their ice/water city and they promised to help their southern brothers “rebuild”.

There are a few rewilders though! The hippie nomads and the secret tunnel, and our band of merry benders on a quest for resistance. I especially liked the allegory of the earthbenders trapped on the metal island prison. So browbeaten they won’t even rise up to defend themselves. But eventually they gain their freedom and it’s much better.

It’s not related to rewilding, but one of my favourite parts of the show was how every animal was ‘turtleduck’, ‘lemursnail’ or ‘armadillobear’ and the characters got all bent out of shape, “What do you mean ‘just bear’?” Classic!