Alderleaf Wilderness College and/or Ancient Arts Center

I hope this is the right place for this…

While working with some 9-10 year olds at an outdoor day in Oklahoma, I recently recovered and rediscovered my love of learning and mentoring wilderness awareness skills and am seriously considering enrolling in the year-long program at Alderleaf in WA. I cannnot overstate how much I want to spend my life doing something I care so much about…and that also dovetails with the lifeway that our family is learning together. The certification that they offer would be helpful in getting/starting a life of doing what I love and making a (gasp!) living. For some background…my partner, child, and I are committed rewilders and are anticipating a move to the West Coast (I am from the mountains of Northern California) in the spring.

My first question: Does any person on here have any kind of experience with Alderleaf (or any other schools you may know)?

Second question: Does it seem redundant to learn things (like primitive skills, hunting, awareness, etc…if I already know them? I can’t really express what I mean here…the school offers MUCH that I don’t know. A ‘school’ setting would help me to set aside learning time, I feel…and to strengthen my fluency.

Third question: Does anyone have experience with Ancient Arts Center in Oregon? I know that your experience may not be the same as mine, but any information is helpful. We are considering an internship there…my partner is especially excited as she is a basketmaker.

Because the cost of the school represents a huge amount of money for our family (that’s like 80 brain-tanned deer hides, aaggh!), I would most definitely have to get a loan from a family member and apply for scholarships.

Any and all words are welcome…it’s a big decision for our family.

Can’t speak for Alderleaf but I know the Ancient Arts Center is awesome, but they are no longer doing internships. I was just down there a couple months ago. Doh! I was thinking about doing that too.

Really? No more internships there - wow. Yeah I visited my friend while she was doing an internship there last year, definetely the most amazing situation I have seen for really studying and having guidnce with those skills!

DANG. we were really looking forward to interning there…i wonder if a well -worded letter would change their minds?

Probably not. It’s more of a logistical issue with family and housing. There will still be work/trade for the classes though and they do 1 day of class for 1 day of work so you could potentially get a lot out of work/trade.

that sounds good…i’ll contact them soon and see if we can set something up. thanks for the heads up!