Acne

So, I have acne. But I’m beginning to think that it’s not exactly just because I’m a teenager. I might be mistaken, but I don’t remember ever seeing an indigenous person with acne. Is acne a product of civilization? Is it because of the wheat, grains, and dairy that I eat? Would the paleo diet be a solution?

I’ve heard diet can and stress and lifestyle can play a role in that, I’d definitely give it a whirl.

I’ve also heard that genetics can play a role (why I think I had more than most), but, well, even science has shown that you can overcome genetics with those.

My 14 year old daughter started eating paleo a number of months back. Her previously bad acne is now hardly noticeable.

I’ve read both Neanderthin and The Paleo Diet and would strongly recommend The Paleo Diet over Neanderthin. Both are great books and worth reading in their own right, but I do think that the Paleo Diet gets closer to reality as far as fats go.

Doing some sort of cleanse can help, too. Try a short fast, no longer than a week. Stay very hydrated. You might get more at first because your body is exuding toxins (plus, you might stink). Afterwards, you’ll feel great and at least have a reduction in the acne.

I also support the “paleo” diet, out of much wonderfully improved health and skin issues, with the caveat: paleo doesn’t mean piles and piles of lean red meat. Make certain to consume fish oils or find another way to satisfy your omega-3 needs. Not doing this made my paleo-routine quite incomplete and I didn’t address a variety of issues until I finally added the omega-3 oils into the mix. Also, low/no-sugar fermented foods, like sauerkraut, contribute greatly to paleo. Learn to make your own sauerkrauts and salsas…you’ll really enjoy it.

Paleo. How do I love thee, let me count the ways. I swear, paleo basically means rewilded kosher, in my life. Sticking to it makes life great, keeps me out of restaurants, I learned how to cook because of it.

Not to mention all the secret superpowers it gave me. But I’ve spoken about those often enough…nobody even believes me, probably. :slight_smile:

Stop telling them about the super powers! ;D

Yeah, paleo knocked out my acne. Sometimes when I get too stressed I get some anyway though. I read somewhere that indigenous peoples were largely to completely free of acne, but I don’t remember where. Jason probably has a reference if you ask him, but I think we have some good data here without a scholarly reference.

Go paleo, lose the acne!

Anyway, I have to go teleport to the secret paleo-spa.

Cheerio!

• Benjamin Shender

What about other unpleasant skin conditions like eczema or dermatitis? I claim the latter. I hate it!

What about other unpleasant skin conditions like eczema or dermatitis? I claim the latter. I hate it!

It’s worth a shot, isn’t it? I’ve noticed a great increase in my ability to heal from things while eating a healthy paleo diet, probably due to the protein intake, high level of vitamins, and having plenty of omega-3 fats. Good fats like omega-3 are extremely nourishing for your skin, so I expect a diet high in them would be very beneficial.

After a google search and reading about people’s positive experiences with paleo diet esp. w/r/t skin care, I think I need to try it!

Until it kicks in, I’ll go with apple cider vinegar.

Generally speaking, skin conditions can be understood to be some way for the body to detox something (heat, in Chinese medicine). Often it does come from diet, so that’s an excellent route to try. But you have to look at other things too.

For instance I know someone who got acne from when she was very young, and we suspect that it’s because she played in a playground that was essentially a toxic waste dump covered over. Blechh. So check to see you’re not exposed to things you shouldn’t be exposed to. Even chlorinated water can have an effect.

I’ve personally found fasting to work for acute situations, but I would be cautious about recommending it on too frequent of a basis. Fasting depletes the energy of the digestive system and too many of us have weak digestion.

Look at other ways your body gets rid of toxins. See if you’re having regular bowel movements; if not, finding ways to improve that might help.

I am 35 years old. I still suffer from acne. there are numerous reasons. The main reason is some people simply produce more, thicker, oils. these oils result in acne. It is genetic, just like earwax production is genetic.

I know you may feel it is a curse, but before you fall to that system of belief…

While serving in the United States Air Force, I took part in a study of Adult Acne, skin disorders and combat readiness.

Oil production in the skin is hereditary.

It has nothing to do with hormones… your body is just reacting to the oils that have just started being produced.

It will lessen as your body adapts and adjusts to it.

Acne has several side affects.
1.) The increased immuno response actuall helps protect you while others are less protected.
2.) The increased productions of oils, while not attractive, does protect you from a host of skin parasites and conditions.

I first thought it was a curse, since a pimple to a 20 something year old can be embarrasing, but after years of watching my friends repeatedly battle colds and minor skin conditions while I remain unaffected, I have changed my mind. I ham hapy in my skin now that I know it serves a purpose other than just to look pretty in some artificial civ ideology.