Thoughts About Trickster

First of all, I love you people of this community for writing and thinking so clearly and honest about alot of things. Thanks especially to Jason for writing these immense and awesome essays on anthrophik! It gives me so much food for thought and inspiration its dizzying. Damn.

Just some thoughts:

Q: What does christianity fear more then the Devil?
A: Trickster

To acknowledge trickster is to kill both the christian notion of God AND the Devil. (and unite them in marriage ? make them whole again so they dont have to wage war)

To kill the Devil = To kill God. Without abstract Evil There can be no abstract Good and vice versa, To kill god = To kill the Devil.

Christianity is more afraid of moral ambiguity then of the devil.
Christianity takes the yin-yang symbol pulls it apart and names the pieces like Descartes pulled apart his world and named the pieces, and thus destroyed the sum of its parts. The World.

i couldnt honestly think of a fitting title for this post :slight_smile: its more like a thank you and a brainstorm.

eh, why bother killing either when we can just trick both into walking away…?

path of least effort and all that

i like that thought it was more a metaphorical thing

I see Trickster as a protector.

The fool who moves me to feel too much, talk too much, lose self control, do stupid stuff, take too many chances, bet on the ugly ideas, laugh like a maniac & cry long & hard, indulge my loves & even my hates–protects me from the uber controlled, fearful, safe, analytical grinchy tyrant who would destruct my aliveness.

Or you could say, Trickster crawls inside me and protects me from civilization’s life-sucking ways. Does that describe God and the Devil? hm.

Anyway, thanks Trickster!! Now that I think about it, I’d like to invite Trickster over for dinner and let him stay awhile. I could use a kick in the ass towards some more stupid stuff. ;D

p.s. speaking of the devil, I saw a bumper sticker tonight that said CHENEY/SATAN '08

Anyone interested in tricksters should read Crow by Ted Hughes.

Personally, ai think of Satan as the Trickster who has been demonized by those unwilling to allow for grey areas. (just a little aside: the word “devil” is related to, and hence used to be the same word as, “diety”; closer related and more illustrative of the point are Latin “diavolo”, devil and “diva”, goddess :o. goddess = evil :-X)

Down here in Los Angeles, he’s remembered as the one who protects humanity, helped create the universe and gets his dumb-ass killed doing all sorts of stupid stunts.

That’s the thing about the Trickster – he’s the one who kicks over the ant hill, just to see what it’ll do. Infinitely curious, infinitely not-quite-fitting-in-to-the-normal-pattern, he/she/it is a wonder.

Best

Bill Maxwell
Teaches about the local Coyote when he can.

Personally, ai think of Satan as the Trickster who has been demonized by those unwilling to allow for grey areas. (just a little aside: the word "devil" is related to, and hence used to be the same word as, "diety"; closer related and more illustrative of the point are Latin "diavolo", devil and "diva", goddess Shocked. goddess = evil Lips sealed)

Elaine Pagel’s book “The Origin of Satan” talks about that.

Hey chase (or hey, anyone), any chance of a relationship between the words “heaven” and “heathen”?

If there isn’t… well, there should be. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think “heathendom” is what people are really yearning for when they talk about the “kingdom of heaven.”

But that’s just little old me rebelling against my Catholic upbringing. Or not? Well, either way I still believe that there’s a linguistic connection somewhere in there.

I’m not 100% sure of it, but I’ve heard that the term ‘heathen’ comes from ‘heath’, meaning earth. Basically, of the earth. Don’t quote me on that, though.

Sorry, no relation (agreed; there should be!). “Heaven” ultimatly goes back to the meaning “curved” or “round”, referring to the sky; whilst “heathen” comes from Old English “haeth” (thats not spelled right, but its the best ai can do at the moment; pronounced like “bath”), meaning wasteland , hence the plant “heath” and the people who dwelled there “heathens”. Though its likely that the folks were just thinking in terms of “everywhere that isnt cultivated is worthless”, making the better translation of heathen “one who dwells in the wild and is a stranger to civilization”. Hopefully ai explained that well. Dont be too disapointed.

Any relation between Trickster and the Fool from the Major Arcana in the Tarot. Seems like somewhat of the same characters. Both Fool and Hero. Powerful and Helpless. Unbreakable spirit.

I’m kinda surprised no one has mentioned the Joker from The Dark Knight yet. Watch the movie again while looking at the Joker as a violent anarcho-primitivist . Seems to me Trickster is bubbeling up from the chaos and into the conscious again. There will be alot of Joker copycats in the future.
The Trickster is all about driving things to their maximum potential, he is about evolution, infact I’m kind of thinking he IS evolution. And now he’s seeing that something on this earth of ours is running contrary to the great agenda. So he’ll start playing tricks…

The Joker: Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just... do things. The mob has plans, the cops have plans, Gordon's got plans. You know, they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So, when I say... Ah, come here.

[takes Dent’s hand into his own]

The Joker: When I say that you and your girlfriend was nothing personal, you know that I’m telling the truth. It’s the schemers that put you where you are. You were a schemer, you had plans, and look where that got you.

[Dent tries to grab the Joker]

The Joker: I just did what I do best. I took your little plan and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets. Hmmm? You know… You know what I’ve noticed? Nobody panics when things go “according to plan.” Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it’s all “part of the plan.” But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!

[Joker hands Two-Face a gun and points it at himself]

The Joker: Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I’m an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It’s fair!

And a little later in the movie, after setting fire to a huge pyramid of stacked money(illuminati anyone?)

The Joker:

[half to himself]

Its not about money… its about sending a message.

The Joker:
[dialing on a cell phone while a mountain of money burns behind him]

Everything burns!

And timeLESS, yes the Fool and the Trickster seems to be the same guy!