Metal Working

In the spirit of the Old Copper people of the Great Lakes 13,000 years ago; I wonder, who of you are willing to brave the arts of metallurgy? Interested in keeping radio communications alive? How difficult would that be for a re-wilder? Interested in making musical instruments and repairing mechanical devices? Love rock hounding? Like shiny things?

Me and a friend have been dabbling for a while but we have plans on building a ‘foraged two-way radio’. Would you like to contribute to this project?

That sounds awesome.

Learning to blacksmith is on my list of skills to aquire. I feel that, within the next several generations, there will be enough scavengable metal to keep metalurgy alive, even if mining is out of the question through some sort of “peak metal”

There’s a series of “lindsay’s books” or something that detail how to make a complete metalshop froms scratch. have you heard of this?

My craziest dream is a way to keep a global communications network alive after the crash. A foraged 2 way radio sounds interesting.

I"ll check out those books very soon thanks for the recommendation!

Actually, this book:

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks2/prospect/index.html

sounds like it would be invaluable to any forager…

Heck YES! Do you guys have/need a website? Could we use the wiki here…? We should get some collaboration going.
I’d planned to work on both those ideas myself (metal and communications), but I haven’t yet got the income/survival situation stabilized, so that occupies most of my time.

I own the complete ‘metal shop from scratch’ series, but the books’ve just sat, gathering dust until I’ve the space and time.

I think I have to add that prospecting book to my library, as well…

Some folks might have a more primitivist mindset on wiki articles, but personally, I welcome anything that might help someone survive the crash. Please, by all means, feel free to use the wiki.

Take care of your ears if you’re going into blacksmithing. Blacksmith’s deafness won’t help you enjoy your life in the future.

Sorry to seem paranoid, but… I am.

your concern is appreciated! hadn’t thought of it, but will certainly use earplugs. I’m more of a follower on this project than a leader. The metalworking merit badge was more about cutting up coffee cans to make a candle lantern.

Metal working can be a lot of fun. Iron, copper, aluminum, and other metals will be available in abundance. Copper (power lines anyone?) is very mailable and can be melted at relatively low temperatures. Aluminum is also easy to work, and should be easy to find. Iron is harder to work, but can be successfully forged with charcoal. I recommend practicing with either coal or a gas-powered forge before using charcoal. The real problem I’ve had with using charcoal is getting the piece uniformly heated, if you don’t the piece will have weak spots. Being able to overcome the low temperature and other limitations of charcoal is a matter of practice and experience, which are easier to get at higher temperatures.

One trick of making the piece cool well and evenly is first, do not quench the piece the last time. When you’re ready to cool it for real put it in a bucket of salt (modern metal workers use other chemicals, but salt is traditional). This slows the cooling process from hours to days, helping to prevent cracks and weak spots guaranteed to ruin your product.

Also, different temperatures give the iron different properties in terms of hardness. You can measure temperature by color or time in the fire, which was once measured using song (history of technology is fun).

No technology is inherently unsustainable, and if we are clever enough to redevelop our toys into sustainable technologies then there is no reason we shouldn’t enjoy the fruits of our species intellectual endeavors.

Electricity is easy to generate if you have copper. And I’ve already figured out air conditioning/refrigeration.

• Benjamin Shender