Jason Godesky, I got the gang together, and they have a request

We took some photos of everybody here at rewild.info, and photoshopped them. We really want you to read the Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun! Ignore some of the books folks have in their hands in the pictures…we ran out of copies of Disobedience.

And of course, Martin himself says it best:

“Read my book, Godesky!”

I’ve got a heck of a backlog of things to read already, but what the hell? My local library has no Prechtel whatsoever, so I’ll have to special order it. By then, maybe I’ll finish Ingold’s book. So, it’ll take me a while still, but it just gypped everything else on the reading list. I think you owe William Bryant Logan an apology. :slight_smile:

Alright then! :slight_smile: I’ll call off the basketball players and freaky woodland characters.

Wow. Rewilders can make a difference! Scout looked awful funny in that stock-car jumpsuit though.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Ecstatic-William-Bryant-Logan/dp/039332947X/]William Bryant Logan[/url] an apology. :)

I tried, but this one went right over my head. :frowning:

That book used to come next, but it got bumped.

I finished reading the last bit of the book last night, right before falling asleep on the couch (due to me not sleeping enough, not anything from the book; actually, Prechtel’s style made for a pleasant break from Ingold’s dense, academic prose).

Actually, by chance, I wound up reading it, aloud (as has become my wont of late), at night, in the darkness between Holy Saturday and Easter morning. Which seemed very appropriate.

I long understood the kind of richness and depth that native people layer into a story, and Prechtel peeling through the five layers underneath this one provides an excellent concrete example of that. I don’t know if I agree that it “hides” the meaning; it seems to me that it makes the meaning as clear as it can. Anything less metaphorical would have required losing meaning, like the importance of relationship in the whole thing. I can’t say I really felt like I encountered any shocking, earth-shattering revelations, but it does provide an excellent example I can point to. From now on, instead of waving my hands trying to get someone to understand just how deep a proper oral tradition plumbs, I can just tell them to read The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun instead.

[quote=“jason, post:5, topic:747”]Actually, by chance, I wound up reading it, aloud (as has become my wont of late), at night, in the darkness between Holy Saturday and Easter morning. Which seemed very appropriate.[/quote]j

Beautiful!

From now on, instead of waving my hands trying to get someone to understand just [i]how[/i] deep a proper oral tradition plumbs, I can just tell them to read [i]The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun[/i] instead.

This more than satisfies me. At last I can release my sphincter. :-X ;D

In fact, I’ve personally used it to identify and/or bring people up to speed on the value and purpose of storyjamming. Using it in this way (and the way you suggest) may make it waaaaay easier to put together a group in your area, because they don’t have to identify themselves ‘as gamers’ - if they love the implications of the book, they’ll jam story great, and if they don’t, you likely don’t want them anyway. Anway, if that book didn’t do it for Giuli, I don’t know what will! :slight_smile:

In fact, I wonder how many Martin Prechtel fans live in Pittsburgh…hmm…find the storyjammers! Maybe you’ll have to court them, like in the story…!

[EDIT: (Now I just have to get 'im to read Wisdom Sits in Places, by Keith Basso, the book on apache mythmapping…)]

In fact, I wonder how many Martin Prechtel fans live in Pittsburgh...hmm...find the storyjammers! Maybe you'll have to court them, like in the story...!

Some Mayan elders came here recently. The confluence of three surface rivers, with a hidden fourth river (the underground river, a.k.a., an aquifer, the “Wisconsin Glacial Flow”) apparently identifies the Point as the axis mundi according to some. So, we’ve got some people here interested now in Mayan traditions now, so I think I could fish up some Prechtel fans. :slight_smile:

[EDIT: (Now I just have to get 'im to read Wisdom Sits in Places, by Keith Basso, the book on apache mythmapping...)]

Heck yeah. Didn’t Abram rely on that one in Spell of the Sensuous? That looks like a good one. That goes on my list, definitely.

CRAZY!

[quote="Willem"][EDIT: (Now I just have to get 'im to read Wisdom Sits in Places, by Keith Basso, the book on apache mythmapping...)][/quote]

Heck yeah. Didn’t Abram rely on that one in Spell of the Sensuous? That looks like a good one. That goes on my list, definitely.

Yes he did. It really rocks. Funny and amazing. Makes you appreciate the apache language too.