Holding Back Roads

At the request of Urban Scout, I’m starting a thread about stopping road development and “improvement” in rural areas. I was lucky to be involved in one such local campaign back when I worked at the Teaching Drum Outdoor School that was actually very successful, and so far has achieved all the goals set out in the beginning of the struggle.

Here is the blog we created during the campaign, which details much of the history of that effort:

Let me know if folks have any questions about this. Modern roads are probably the most damaging clearcut there is, and anything we can reasonably do to hold them back (especially at this point in history) is probably a good thing.

we’ve been going through this up here lately. tried to stop an interchange that was going to service a golf resort town rich folks built on a beautiful mountain. they just recently forcefully removed tree sitters and logged the area.

there is also the stop I-69 campaign in the USA.

Yeah, that’s sad. Thankfully in our case we were lucky to be able to effectively intervene before it got to that. Of course we were working on a smaller scale on a project that was more local in it’s implications. I often wondered if our struggle would eventually come down to me having to sit in a tree, however. And while the “save lake superior trail” mission seems to have been accomplished for now, we never know what the future may still hold.

I remember just recently in my neighborhood they widened a road called 202. This forced numorous houses to be demolished, and forced this really cool cat shelter to relocate. And of course, widening a road is not going to help traffic. It’s nonsense.
I really hate roads, especially large ones. They’re huge dead zones, where your legally allowed to kill anything nonhuman that comes across them. What sense does that make?

Not that ai advocate destruction of property or anything ;), but http://www.omnipresence.mahost.org/inttxt.htm is a great source of info on good methods of protecting wild areas. Ai think its like chapter 2 or sommat that says how to stop roads. Oh, and ai definitly do NOT advocate that you should spike trees.

Oh, and i definitely do NOT advocate that you should spike trees.

It would be way funnier to put up signs that read:

Dear Loggers,

Some of these trees are spiked. Have a nice day with your metal detector.

Yours truly,

Activist

It would be way funnier to put up signs that read:

Dear Loggers,

Some of these trees are spiked. Have a nice day with your metal detector.

Yours truly,

Activist[/quote]

Especially when you add a note about the effectiveness of ceramic spikes, and the lack of ceramic detectors.

Especially when you add a note about the effectiveness of ceramic spikes, and the lack of ceramic detectors.

Even better!