Gardening, foraging, permaculture (not agriculture!)

I have been interested in the history of “agriculture” for some time now (mainly because I LOVE gardening and growing plants), which goes hand in hand with the history of civilization… I think that’s it’s really important to know a little bit about this history to be able to understand where and how it went wrong and how it can be reworked into a sustainable source of food and included, but not depended upon, in rewilding.

The home garden used to be a commonplace, even neccessary aspect of each household. In those times, the plants were the original “heirlooms” of today, or non-hybrid, GMO, etc., and were often adapted to the certain local climate after years and years of growing in the area, people having saved seeds and replanted year after year until a distinct strain was developed naturally. Even native peoples cultivated the land to some extent, although in those cases, it was probably less of an enclosed space, and more likely spread out through the forest, in the plants’ natural setting. Kind of like, if you find a wild patch of edibles in the forest and year after year you go back to the same spot to maintain and care for the plants to ensure a good harvest, even collecting seeds and spreading them around…

I have known about the term “permaculture” for a long time, but until recently, never truly understood the full concept of how I might make it work with my gardening interests. I have also stumbled upon the edible foraging garden idea recently, and think that this fits in nicely with my gardening interests. Mainly I want to include a lot of native edible plants in my garden, ones that are perrenial (come back every year on their own), or at least selfseeding (shedding seeds which then sprout the next season). A lot of these do include what many people think of as weeds! These plants are not only beneficial to us as a food, but also to the soil, other animals, and other plants. But I also want to include other plants that are not perrenial, lilke most vegetables we know today. Even in those cases, though, in some climates, these plants can grow year after year from seeds that sprout up after falling to the ground the previous season. We like to call them “Volunteers” and while they may not have the characteristics of the original plants (they are the first step to rewilding domesticated vegetables!), many having been cross-pollinated with other similar plants, they will often be just as tasty or useful (one example of volunteers that do not taste anything like the original plants are melons- which I heard taste terrible once cross-pollinated). It will be an experiment I want to keep track of nonetheless.

Wild plants have a considerable knack for surving and spreading their seeds. One can learn a lot just by observing this. Wether it’s wind, birds, insects, water, these plants are highly adaptable to many different conditions. When I lived in Portland, I witnessed an empty lot that was covered in “weeds” be sprayed with who knows what poison in order to kill everything (this was also a few doors down from the Boise Elliott Community Garden!!). A few rainfalls later, there was a new sea of green, mainly clover,and I am sure other edibles, that I would not dare to eat now that the soil had been poisoned. But they still came back! This just proves that these plants are very hard to eradicate (and that can be so dangerous with certain invasive, non-natives).

Anyway, back on track. So in my garden I want to focus a lot on native edibles that can be foraged year after year. This will also help me to identify them in the wild as I will be able to study them more closely. I will also include heirloom vegetables that are commonly referred to as annuals (one growing season) but I will note which ones come back as volunteers the next year, the first step in returning to the wild (this too had a lot to do with the certain heirloom variety- if it is an heirloom from your region, all the more chance of it coming back, as it was developed in that climate). I will encourage those individuals to come back year after year by not tilling the ground (which disrupts the soil structure, and many beneficial organisms), and by not mulching too deeply on top of the fallen seeds (mulch not only helps improve the soil but also adds a layer of insulation, like tree leaves and other debris collecting on the ground, and can extend the growing season for some root vegetables).

Is there anyone else that has been planning these types of garden experiments? If so I would love to discuss thoughts here! All I know is that the love of gardening came from somewhere deep inside us and for me, I just can’t stop thinking about it! My plans for the fall/winter are to familiarize myself with local native wild edibles which I can include in my garden as well as find in the wild, and plan my garden around these… it’s a great winter project!

-emily

Hi Emily,
I’m trying to start a garden, too, but so far I have a black thumb. I bought two native bushes and managed to kill them both. I guess I have a lot to learn. Have you heard of seedballs? I plan to sheet mulch the ground, then sow seedballs; hopefully I’ll get something edible out of the whole thing.

I have heard of seedballs! Although I have not tried them. I have been growing a lot of plants from seeds and then transplanting, and purchasing others like berry bushes, which are hard to grow or take a long time… I could say I have a green thumb (at least, my friends say that) but really, it runs in the family (my mom and dad both went to college for biology, and my mom used to work at a nursery). They have always had a huge garden and fruit and nut tree orchards. And they live on 9 acres (most of which runs into the state park)… So I have always been around plants, but am just being able to work with them a lot and I love it!

-emily

i’ve been experimenting with various forms of gardening for a while. (not an expert, tho’, still learning a lot, and have a lot to learn)

i’m trying to get a reseeding patch of mustard/arugula/cress/nasturtium/dandelions/clover going. so far so good, but i only started the patch this spring, so…

i’ve had a lot of success w/ salad burnet. it’s around (and edible) pretty much all year and the worst comment i’ve gotten on it is “it doesn’t offend me” and some people i’ve fed it to really really liked it.

this fall, i’m starting a larger project on 10 acres to include a plethora of trees/shrubs/etc

[quote=“jhereg, post:4, topic:486”]i’ve been experimenting with various forms of gardening for a while. (not an expert, tho’, still learning a lot, and have a lot to learn)

i’m trying to get a reseeding patch of mustard/arugula/cress/nasturtium/dandelions/clover going. so far so good, but i only started the patch this spring, so…

i’ve had a lot of success w/ salad burnet. it’s around (and edible) pretty much all year and the worst comment i’ve gotten on it is “it doesn’t offend me” and some people i’ve fed it to really really liked it.

this fall, i’m starting a larger project on 10 acres to include a plethora of trees/shrubs/etc[/quote]

That’s great that you have land to do that on, that’s the main reason I am sticking around Ohio, because I can do that on my parents’ land! I am no expert either, just started growing my own garden two years ago, but I have been trying to read all I can about it to be as knowledgeable as possible. I have had mustard come back after reseeding itself, but only in the gardens in Portland, so Ohio climate may be different, even though winters are not as cold as they used to be… I think greens are definitely the most likely to come back year after year. My sister, also in Ohio, had lettuce that was coming up through the snow last year, in early spring after the seeds had fallen in the fall. I know clover can definitely take over your garden, but since it’s edible, no harm done! Plus it is very beneficial for the soil and as a cover crop, and attracts beneficial insects. I will look into salad burnet! Thanks!

-emily

oy! the winters are really, really changing

when i was 9, we moved from San Diego to SE Ohio, and i remember that that winter was cold and it wasn’t just me; we kept moving from house to house 'cuz pipes were freezing and busting or furnaces would crap out etc.

in the following years i went from a kid who’d never seen snow (and figured it looked like it did in those “Peanuts” comics) to being very familiar w/ snow 3ft deep.

now, we get a foot of snow and its all “Winter Storm 07” (dramatic musical cue)

yeah, i’ve watched the winters here get pretty dang mild over the last 20-ish years…

i’m feeling pretty optimistic about the patch of greens. i was a little worried cuz they all started kind of slow in the spring, but they’re doing great now and my grazing doesn’t seem to have had much of an impact.

i have managed to get a tomato patch to reseed for a few years, but this year it was pretty disappointing.

[quote=“jhereg, post:6, topic:486”]oy! the winters are really, really changing

when i was 9, we moved from San Diego to SE Ohio, and i remember that that winter was cold and it wasn’t just me; we kept moving from house to house 'cuz pipes were freezing and busting or furnaces would crap out etc.

in the following years i went from a kid who’d never seen snow (and figured it looked like it did in those “Peanuts” comics) to being very familiar w/ snow 3ft deep.

now, we get a foot of snow and its all “Winter Storm 07” (dramatic musical cue)

yeah, i’ve watched the winters here get pretty dang mild over the last 20-ish years…[/quote]

Yep, I was home for October (normally my favorite month because of the trees turning) and at the beginning it was 90-100 degrees out, and on Halloween I kept saying “I remember when it was snowing on Halloween!” when this year it was sunny and WARM! I mean, tshirt weather! And it’s STILL WARM, enough that you don’t have to wear a coat at least. I was at some parks with a friend the other day and I had just a long sleeve shirt on and it was so nice and warm and sunny. Don’t get me wrong, I love the weather we are having, but it is so different than when I grew up. I am wondering what this winter will be like. Jokingly, I was telling my friend that there was not going to be any snow at all, that it was going ot be like the winters in portland! Hmmm… maybe that’s not too far off…

yeah, it’s still reasonably warm. i figure i’ll be wearing shorts til Dec this year

i’ve been noticing that winter is shifting a bit. not really kicking in til mid-ish Dec and not really stopping until late March/early April w/ Feb being “snow month”. prolly get some flurries/light snow before & after Feb, but i wouldn’t expect much on the ground outside of the Feb window. at least, that’s my guess based on the trends i’ve seen from the last few years…

Yes! This is the type of gardening I do as well. My interest in plants started with edible wilds and then I moved into food and agriculture studies, which became permaculture and rewilding (feralization.) I saw people working so hard to grow these pampered vegetables and realized quickly that it was a hobby, not a viable food production system. I have feralized chard, amaranth, lemon cucumbers, and pumpkins so far in my garden. It’s been very exciting to watch these plants to their thing. Kale has perennialized in my garden, but the birds eat all the seeds! Salsify was growing wild when I took over the management of my garden, and in two years I have wildmanaged it to be an incredible crop! The leaves look like grass, and provide a great understory for my fruit trees and berry bushes, but when you dig them out you realize that the soil is FULL of these amazing edible roots!

The main methodology is “benign neglect”. I just don’t run that clean of an operation, so I allow things to expand and grow and do their thing. I do weedwhack (or “powergraze”) and if I see chard or salsify, I just will weedwhack around it.

Beyond that, it helps to plant things that I know will grow well in my area. Mostly I plant things that are considered “wild” or things that I have noticed that have gone feral in the neighborhood. If I am going to plant an annual and give it some pampering, it needs to be WORTH it in my opinion. Here, tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, and squash are about the only thing that seems worth it for the amount of effort.

Great to see others doing this work!

I took my first real stab at horticulture this year.

I had nice results with some things like tomatoes and squash and a lot of my herbs (oregano, basil, spearmint, cilantro.) My nettles and catnip didn’t do well during the summer, but they had a resurgence after the heat backed down. And I finally got my landlord’s lawnmower guy to stop cutting down my maypop, it finally took off midsummer – though I haven’t had any fruit from it yet since it suffered two years of abuse.

I know clover can definitely take over your garden, but since it's edible, no harm done! Plus it is very beneficial for the soil and as a cover crop, and attracts beneficial insects.

If I remember correctly, clover works really well to fix nitrogen from the atmosphere into the soil. So it works as a winter ground cover and does its N fixing at the same time.

If I remember correctly, clover works really well to fix nitrogen from the atmosphere into the soil. So it works as a winter ground cover and does its N fixing at the same time.[/quote]

oh, yeah, it’s totally worth it to me. clover is just one of those great community plants…

Hey feral kevin! Nice to see you on here! I love your blog!

-emiy

The best book to get for natural gardening and farming is the One Straw Revolution, by Masanobu Fukuoka. Thanks for this thread, this is a subject close to my heart.

I’ll defintely take a look at that book! Thanks!

-emily

Check this site for Fukuoka Books free online books:
http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/01aglibwelcome.html

So I have been trying to plan the foraging garden design for this spring… I have a fairly large space (my parents are allowing me free range of half of their large garden, and all of the small garden in the front of the property, which will be the berry garden)… has anyone established a foraging garden before? I am most concerned with pathways throughout the garden… I really want it to not only be a beautiful, functioning perennial edible garden, but also want to have pathways and a bench in the center so that we can spend time in the garden and relax and enjoy it. So I am thinking about have a spiral walkway and raised beds in the planting areas, so that the ground does not get compacted and hinder root growth. I have always been a lot more interested in raised beds, and I think that it is the best method for gardening. I want this to last year after year so I think it’s important to have a really functional, lasting design… I am gonna go search for some books on the topic! Any suggestions?

-emily

The book “Gaia’s Garden” by Toby Hemenway has great ideas about designing pathways. He suggests using the keyhole design, a spiral design for an herb garden, and for larger areas a main pathway with smaller pathways coming off like the veins of a leaf.

I’ll second “Gaia’s Garden” and also offer Toby Hemenway’s website.

you may also want to look over Fukuoka’s methods as well as Emilia Hazelip’s Synergistic Garden.

as for personal advice; be ready to experiement, fail, and learn; whenever you don’t have a clear method laid out for rewilded cultivation, try it more or less the “conventional/traditional” way, then start looking at how to adapt it to a more rewilding way; if possible, try eating the intended plant(s) before cultivation, and have friends & family try as well.

you’ve mentioned before that your parents have been long-standing gardeners. out of curiousity, what techniques/methods do they use now?

Emily,
I meant to ask: where do you get wood to make raised beds? A friend told me that treated lumber leaches toxins into the soil.
Vicky

Vicky, treated lumber does leach toxins into the soil, and your plants! Do not use treated lumber (or salvaged wood from construction sites, unless you know it’s untreated). You do not have to use wood for raised beds, they can just be raised dirt beds, but you can also get untreated wood from the hardware store, just ask someone that works there. Also, you can use other things like bricks, cinder blocks (and plant herbs in the holes), sticks, bamboo, rocks, etc. to line your beds… I will probably just use piled compost, dirt, mulch for the beds this year, as I won’t have a lot of money to spend for the wood, but my dad does have a lot of bamboo growing in the yard, so that could be useful too…

-emily