Family project: Debris huts

So I had my son home from elementary school for most of this week because it was thanksgiving. And since I’m home all the time, it was time to do something together. Yay! I recently gave a presentation to the scout troop on shelters, and of course I presented the debris hut as the basic. But it occured to me I’d never built one. So I asked my son if he wanted to build a “leaf house”. He was all for it!

Wenesday turned out to be too rainy to work, but on thanksgiving we put one togther at my mothers house, under the guise of rakinng the yard for her. MMy sister has some pictures of that, if I can get them I’ll post them here. There was a big log to work with, and a small brushpile next to the pond that provided good thin supports, but there was no real good ridgepole, so we made something big enough for my son but way to small for me. He crawled in and out several times and pulled the whole family out to see. He didn’t do much work himself but watched very excitedly.

The next day we built one in our own backyard. Around my place a tree had recently dropped a limb or two, so there was a great big pile of branches by the side of he road. One good ridgepole and a few good supports were fished out, as well as a number of branches. Additionally, our neighborhood has us rake our leaves into the street for the streetsweeper to get, so a tremendouss amount of raw material was simply by the side of the road. This time we could build something big enough for both of us, and he really go into it.

We finished around 1 in the afternoon, and after playing in it, I was ready to go back inside. My son, however, wasn’t, and went back out to play. He asked to take a pillow and blanket out, and I told him no because I didn’t want them to get dirty. But he snuck them out past me, as well as his two favorite dino books and a pair of pajamas. When I went out to check on him I found he’d moved into it!

I have no pictures of it yet, but I’ve left it up in the backyard. We might spend the night out in it if we get another warm, dry day soon. I don’t want his first night camping to be a miserable night, and he does get asthma attacks this time of year. Or I’ll knock it down and we’ll build another in the spring. Point is, we had fun practicing survival skills together. A debris hut is a suitable project for kids as young as 4. If you’ve got any kids you like to spend time with, I higly reccommend it for an afternoon acivity.

Great story!

the asma is from indoor pollution

Whatever the athsma is from, and I don’t doubt that it’s indoor pollution, it’s triggered by cold, damp air, which is exactly what we have right now. If I were more wild we’d have a better shelter than a leaf hut right now, and we’d be staying in it. Thankfully it gets better as he gets older, and will probably be gone in his adulthood. But right now, a pound of prevention saves me from having to buy an ounce of medication.

That’s awesome Andrew. Seems like all kids naturally want to make “forts”. My kids all did, including the girls. Kind of cool if we can get them thinking of them as “homes” instead.

I found a little hut in the woods near our house a little while ago that one of my kids must have made. My youngest is 24 so it must have been there for a while.

My brother (now 22) made a “forest fort” when he was 10 that is still standing. :smiley:

I love this story, Andrew! I remember my fervor for forts as a kid. One corner of our backyard in the suburbs continually served as a variety of forts for me – mostly inspired by the idea of a lean-to on Huck Finn’s raft.

When we moved to the country, we had enough cool structures standing around (chicken coop, corn crib, barn) that I never felt the need to build a fort.

I look forward to having fun with my son building shelters as he gets older.

We had an “indian village” (that’s what we called it) in our woods where we had fire pits (but weren’t allowed to have fires, obviously!) lined with rocks collected from the creek. We attempted to make clay pots and let them air dry, had hunting excursions, where we would carry a large stick between us, with the pretend kill hanging from it… made bows and arrows… tomahawks, knives and such, from sticks and stones… I wish we knew about debris huts, because all we had for our “houses” were ropes marking off our individual dwellings between the trees.

-emily