Eating crow

anyone here ever eat crow? i know my brother has, but he didnt kill it. there are alot of crows around, they would be easy to kill and eat. only thing is there is alot of crazy stuff associated w/ crows - to me they seem very intelligent, very dark, tricksters that are always up to something. my freind warned me that killing and eating them would just give them a chance to get up to something…

?

this person has::

http://www.rewild.info/conversations/index.php?topic=376.msg5015#msg5015

I don’t think I would though

hah - thats my brother that ate the crow, and im one of the folks he mentioned thats eaten gull.
after he ate that crow alot of fucked up shit went down, like his cabin burnt down for one.
i dont think he sees any connection there but some of my more crazy friends doo.

what i want to know is why wouldn’t people eat crow - are these practical or spiritual reasons?

haha

[quote=“Miles, post:3, topic:680”]hah - thats my brother that ate the crow, and im one of the folks he mentioned thats eaten gull.
after he ate that crow alot of fucked up shit went down, like his cabin burnt down for one.
i dont think he sees any connection there but some of my more crazy friends doo.

what i want to know is why wouldn’t people eat crow - are these practical or spiritual reasons?[/quote]

Well maybe part of it, I think a lot of people avoid eating scavengers. But possum makes a perfectly fine meal. Almost all omnivores and many carnivores will scavenge a carcass when they find the chance, and people still eat them…

yeah, I’m not big on eating scavengers/predators.

Also crows/ravens are my favourite birds.

i dont think the cabin burnt b/c of the crow. haha. that stove pipe was fucked up.

the crow was really tasty. fried in butter!

o you ate the crow too nettles?
i thought it was just lonnie… thats good it doesnt seem like it fucked with you.
so would you kill and eat 'em? or recommend it?

crows also remind me of the trickster,

I’d rather not mess with that realm :wink:

i’d kill a crow and eat it. definitely not opposed to it. i highly recommend it. it was really really good.

I read somewhere that a a Capitan lost a battle in the Civil war. He had to surrender and the victorious Captin made him eat crow as a further insult. I’ve heard they don’t taste good because they eat so many kinds of food (up to 200). I just seems like bad mojo like eating fox, coyote or your own spirit animal.

that’s bullshit. i’ve helped eat two crows. theyre delicious.

seagulls - also delicious.
raccoons - also delicious.

I would never eat crow unless there was absolutely nothing to eat. crows talk. they understand geographies and people more so than any other animal I know. if you get a bad rap with the crows, I believe you will be in some serious shit.

Theres a nice little culture trivia i’d like to tell you guys.

In india we have these “roadside stalls” or small shops by the roadside set up serving stuff from tea and snacks right upto “biryani” (its rice cooked with vegetables, some meat and spices). You could have vegetarian biryani of course but mostly it has meat. The most common one is Chicken (known as chicken biryani of course).

Theres a common joke here that some people serve cheap biryani (you know 5 bucks a plate instead of 10), but it tastes kinda funny and the leg peices are all thinner. Caca (name for crow due to its cry) biryani is sometimes used as a metephor to describe bad biryani. This was played out in a movie i saw once, and the guy kept crowing for 2 days.

Anyways that being said, it is a true fact. These places serve “caca” birayani to the people who cannot afford the real stuff. Some say its bad, theres even the superstition about the “crowing”, but i think its really due to the bacteria. Crow has a lot more junk sitting in there than regular bird does, so it may need to be cleaned a bit more. Or else you’d have to get used to the bacteria etc.

Then again i am told crows are believed in some parts of india to the ancestors. I have heard this in a lot of places. I do find it easier to communicate with them since they are one of the few birds that don’t fear us that much, i mean i can go and almost touch one and not have it fly away.

Every part of every mammel and bird is edible… just cook them right. You don’t want to eat a bird only to be eaten by the worms it has.

I think maybe the reason behind this is that in the bible it says that people should not eat carion eating birds, only those that were seed/grain eating, as with ‘animals that chewed the cud’ as apposed to pigs who ate anything. etc