Can you eat adult wasps?

Numerous places speak of the edibility of wasp young. However I have been searching with no luck to find out if adult wasps are edible.

I guess the real question is whether their stings, once cooked, pose any risk?

Does anyone have any idea? They are easy to trap so seem like a logical meal.

Cheers.

That seems pretty desperate to me. Hmm but the grubs I hadn’t thought of that, and will try to remember for later!

Remove the stinger before cooking.

According to the revised public edition of the SAS survival manual, one should remove the wings and legs as well.

Bee’s, wasps, hornets, etc… all edible. You could smoke out a whole nest with a grass torch, and seal the entrance to kill the inhabitants, thus avoiding much pain in trying to collect them in some other way.

Probably more suited to survival food, rather than regular wilderness eating.

I have zero sure clues. Although, during my 9th year I had a yellow and black hornet swarm try to eat and sting me when I poked one of their hive entrances with a 6 foot oblong and bowish lilac branch.

General rules for bugs:

If it has more than 6 legs DONT EAT IT.

If it has a stinger, remove and BOIL IT to neutralize the poison, but even then some still have reactions.

Remove anything that can poke or cut… so legs and wings should go… remember it’s the “juicy stuff” inside that you are really after… not the puny legs.

It’s too easy to find other bugs… best to stick to them.

You can eat bugs individually, but they are easier to eat and usually taste better if you throw them in to a soup or stew… Maggots cook up just like rice… you’ll never notice the difference… Add some roots and you’ll think it’s storebaught stew.

Eassier than bugs… try worms… boiled earthworms are just like pasta noodles, and pretty east to dig, high in protein, and taste good once cooked. remember to “milk” them by squeesing out the poop.

[quote=“Wenatcheeguy, post:5, topic:840”]General rules for bugs:

If it has more than 6 legs DONT EAT IT.

If it has a stinger, remove and BOIL IT to neutralize the poison, but even then some still have reactions.

Remove anything that can poke or cut… so legs and wings should go… remember it’s the “juicy stuff” inside that you are really after… not the puny legs.

It’s too easy to find other bugs… best to stick to them.

You can eat bugs individually, but they are easier to eat and usually taste better if you throw them in to a soup or stew… Maggots cook up just like rice… you’ll never notice the difference… Add some roots and you’ll think it’s storebaught stew.

Eassier than bugs… try worms… boiled earthworms are just like pasta noodles, and pretty east to dig, high in protein, and taste good once cooked. remember to “milk” them by squeesing out the poop.[/quote]

You’ve really been offering some interesting incite into some of the questions asked around here, but I have seen MANY videos of people who are still wild eating things like tarantulas and such, obviously catching and cooking before eating.

As per most things there are always the exception… I’ve questioned my entire upbringing and thus, I question everything. >.>

i can’t decide if scorpions count as bugs or not, but they definitely have eight legs plus their bigass pincers, and i’ve eaten those. tastiest “bug” i ever ate.

Scorpions are kinda iffy. Since everyone with a few brain cells will know that the poison sack is in the tail so they can just just cut it off…

I myself would never risk a painful sting for a one bite meal.

Just shoot it with an arrow (similar to bowfishing) or jab with short spear (no added head). Ai havent actually done it, but seen it done.