Backyard Recipes

This topic is for sharing recipes that use local/seasonal/homegrown ingredients.

My dad always said, “It’s a recipe, not a suggestion.”

Fuck my dad. You don’t have to follow any of these recipes exactly. They’re ALL suggestions. That’s the secret of good creative cooking. :slight_smile:

Butternut Squash with Onions and Pecans **

*1 butternut squash (a little over 2 lbs)
*1 onion (yellow)
*3 T. oil/lard (the original recipe has butter)
*salt and pepper (or similar seasoning)
*1 cup chopped pecans
*3 T. chopped parsley

Soften squash by baking for about 30 minutes, approx 375 degrees (or cook with hot stones and monitor progress). While squash is baking, dice onion. When squash is done, peel and cube into approx 1/2" pieces. Warm up the oil over low heat, and saute onion until very tender, approx. 15 minutes. Add cubed squash, seasoning, and stir. Cover and cook over low heat until squash is cooked, approx. 15 minutes, stirring ocassionally. While squash is cooking, toast the nuts (if using conventional oven, spread nuts on baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees for about 6-7 minutes).

When squash is cooked, stir in toasted nuts and parsley. Serve.

**The squash and nuts can be substituted by similar kinds of squashes (buttercup for example, or another firm squash) and nuts (like walnuts, almonds, pine nuts… whatever grows near your home :))

[quote=“SilverArrow, post:2, topic:538”]My dad always said, “It’s a recipe, not a suggestion.”

Fuck my dad. You don’t have to follow any of these recipes exactly. They’re ALL suggestions. That’s the secret of good creative cooking. :)[/quote]

lol

i learned to cook from my grandma. i don’t think she would have seen eye-to-eye w/ your dad :slight_smile:

recipe looks good (my family likes our winter squash)

it’s out of season, but a really nice side dish for mid summer is cooked lamb’s quarters.

1-2 tbls of butter (or even better, bacon fat) per person
1-2 nice-sized handfuls of lamb’s quarters leaves per person

start melting the butter/fat in a medium saucepan over med heat

wash the leaves w/ clean, cold water. the underside of the leaves have a waxy bloom on them, ignore it, it’s okay to stay where it is. lightly shake the leaves. you want a little bit of water to stick to them.

when the fat’s all melted, put the leaves in the pot and cover. allow to cook over med heat for until “desired consistency” (i like about 12-15 minutes), stirring occasionally.

the result is a lot like cooked spinach, but with a “meatier” texture.

[quote=“SilverArrow, post:2, topic:538”]My dad always said, “It’s a recipe, not a suggestion.”

Fuck my dad. You don’t have to follow any of these recipes exactly. They’re ALL suggestions. That’s the secret of good creative cooking. :)[/quote]

haha my Dad was exactly the opposite, more like experimental / improvisational cooking. I just made some acorn squash the other day, but doesn’t seem as good as this.
Personally I like the seeds the best tho.

Miles’ post on Gundru in “Fermented Foods” (hope you don’t mind, Miles!)

I’ve been wanting to share a really great ferment i’ve discovered called ‘Gundru’. It comes originally from nepal, and is unique in that all it requires are the greens of any plant in the brassica family. No salt,
no water, nothing but the greens and the living bacteria on them.
I took some rutabaga greens, let them wilt in the sun, then crushed them with a rolling pin to get the juices flowing. Then just cram them into a glass jar, mashing them in as hard as i can to get the juices out as i go. The idea is to get as much greens stuck in the jar as possible and so mashed in that they are submerged in their own green juice. After accomplishing this i let it sit in a warm room for three weeks with the lid on, after which they magically become pungent, tart, complex, enzyme filled delicious gundru. I love my sauerkraut but this is way better - less civilized. I’m making some now with feral kale i gathered - a bona fide wild ferment we’ll all be able to enjoy after the apocalypse!

[quote=“jhereg, post:3, topic:538”]i learned to cook from my grandma. i don’t think she would have seen eye-to-eye w/ your dad :slight_smile:

recipe looks good (my family likes our winter squash)[/quote]

Haha.

I forgot to add, use a really large skillet, otherwise you’ll never fit all of the squash. :slight_smile:

I’ll try yours, too! I love leafy greens.

Edible Wild Plants Recipes: http://www.herbvideos.com/ewprecip.htm

Roasted Root Vegetables with Sauteed Beet Greens
serves 2
1 hr cooking time

2 beets
2 carrots
2 parsnips
1/2 purple onion
1/2 head of garlic, separated into cloves (skins can be kept on)
olive oil
black pepper
lemon pepper seasoning
red cooking wine

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Peel all the vegetables (reserve the beet tops) and cut into medium sized chunks (cut onions a little larger). Place all vegetables except onion and garlic in a roasting pan, and mix together. Drizzle olive oil generously on top; add black pepper and lemon pepper; mix thoroughly.

Roast for 30 minutes at 250 degrees, turning with a spoon every 10 minutes. Mix in onions and garlic. Turn heat up to 400 degrees and roast another 30 minutes. Turn every 10-15 minutes.

When vegetables have 20 minutes left to roast, start the sauteed beet tops. Heat 1 minced clove of garlic, 1/3 c. chopped red onion, and black pepper to taste in 2 T. olive oil over med-low heat for 5 minutes, until onions are beginning to look translucent. Meanwhile, tear beet tops by hand into bite-size strips. Add greens to skillet, turn heat up to medium, and cook, stirring/turning frequently, for 10-12 minutes, until wilted and dark green and hot. Add a generous splash of cooking wine and cook, stirring, another 3 minutes.

Serve both side dishes hot.

Pumpkin pie:
Crust: bear fat (raccoon or pig fat would be good substitutes)
sprouted rye (or other grain)
Enough to make a crust.
filling: Pumpkin, pre cooked and mashed up
Honey or maple syrup to taste
nutmeg and cinnamon to taste.

Cook until delicious

Hey Lonnie, does the racoon fat have a distinct flavor or is it just another grease to use?

coon fat has a definite flavour to it. imagine the mild flavour that bear grease has, but much stronger. It tastes very wild, something to awaken your instincts.

Awaken my instincts, repel my taste buds. Though to be fair, that was just straight up fried racoon fat eaten plain. :stuck_out_tongue:

Venison:

however big a chunk of leg as desirable (usually around 1/3 of a lb.)
about 2 tbs of honey per serving
salt and pepper to taste

pour the honey over the meat and eat it.
Fresh meat is kinda important for raw dinning, as in you know how long it’s been dead.
If you wanna use Buffalo or beef just try for local organic stuff.
Also, if yr still nervous about safety, freeze it for 14 days, thaw it out, and then eat it. This is what I do for grocery store lamb.

Cooking red meats is starting to seem like a waste of time and flavor to me.

Mmmmm raw red meat.

There’s not much that smells better than that…