What would you like to see on Fabulous Forager?

Me? I use Pantene. ;D

I used to buy organic shampoo and conditioner, but then I went to visit my mom one weekend and forgot it, so I went to the local Rite Aid to pick something up. Naturally, they didn’t have any organic products, so I bought some travel-sized Pantene stuff. Literally the next day, my hair was smoother and shinier than it had ever been and I had no knots at all. I know, I’m horrible, but I just couldn’t go back. I’ve got no clue how to replicate Pantene’s results naturally.

I learned you can scrub yourself real well with a hard bristle brush and you won’t even need water. It will get rid of dirt and layers of dead skin, while leaving the oils. As I understand it, most BO is created by bacteria feasting on your dead skin cells. Like walking barefoot it will be uncomfortable at first, but you’ll grow accustomed to it.

I can’t remember that last time I used shampoo. I just rinse my hair with water every day or so. Every couple of weeks I’ll sun-brew a hair rinse using California mugwort, California bay, white sage, black sage and California sagebrush. Just throw it all into a 1/2 gallon glass bottle and leave it in the sun for a day. Any longer and it will begin to ferment. I don’t know if it would be any better for your hair fermented, but it certainly doesn’t smell very good.

[quote=“BlueHeron, post:13, topic:785”]Wow, didn’t know I would start such an involved discussion.

For dreadlocks, basically I don’t want them to become unsanitary, but any tips on keeping them tightened and well-proportioned are also welcome. :wink:

I have read that a good way to “deep clean” dreads is to wash them in a solution of cider vinegar and water. Supposedly it gets out residue and dirt.

Has anyone else heard about or tried this method? Does it dry out your hair? And lastly, how can one make vinegar outside of civilization? (I believe that last question is for another message board.)[/quote]

I realize this thread is as old as the hills, but I feel the need to resurrect it for this anecdote.

I did this method. It did not do me well. I ended up with a fungus on my scalp after about 4 months. I’m not sure why, but I definitely followed the instructions. I was forced to shave my head and wear a hat until it went away, which it did, after about two months. This method is therefore not recommended by yours truly!

I would wash with whatever method you normally use. If your dreads still get dirty, you’re either not picking them clean of larger debris or the method you normally used to clean your scalp and hair wasn’t good enough to begin with.