Transition Tech: The Game

Finally, someone proposed an object easy enough for me :D.

You could use them for wall decorations, or a signaling mirror, or for starting a fire if you had a lens. You could make a nice set of saucers if you cover the hole. You could break a whole bunch of them and make a mosaic.

Next object: a ballpoint pen

Oh! Fun is happening here. I’m late, so I have catching up to do. I’ll try not to repeat anything.

TV Antenna:

Already had good suggestions for the ones on the TV. But I remember antennas on the roof too. Those are already designed to do well outside in the elements. I’m thinking drying racks.

Above-Ground Swimming Pools:

Could also be used for transportation or as a part of the bottom, waterproof layer in a living roof.

Sofa:

You can use it as a sofa…that’s always a winner. The stuffing can be used to insulate a home. If leather it can be used to help seal windows in winter. A cloth one could be used for carpeting.

Toaster Oven:

The power cord can be used to hang things or as a garrote.

light bulb:

melt the glass to make bottles.

ipod:

Keep it in mint condition for trading to someone with a fetish for antique technology in a couple decades.

PA Speakers:

Use the magnets and copper coil to generate electricity.

household plumbing:

Bastinada. Can be used for plumbing in a cob house or some such.

window unit air conditioning:

The cloth screens can be used for bellows.

upright piano:

entertainment

empty AK-47:

drill holes in the tube for use in a forge

home water heater:

fill with sand and install tube and bellow above to make forge

road signs:

homoerotic fraternity initiations.

chain link fence:

fishing traps, climbing plants, a building component of walls.

plastic grocery bags:

holding stuff. water proofing. killing my enemies.

treadmills:

killing my enemies. the poles that connect the conveyor belt to the consul can also be used for torches.

computer:

conversation piece. the gold can be extracted for jewelery. the cables can be used as rope.

cds:

heat sink for a stirling engine.

ballpoint pen:

small blow gun.

Ok…next item: crappy flatware (low-quality metal).

[quote=“Hypnopompia, post:22, topic:679”]road signs:

homoerotic fraternity initiations.[/quote]

I knew I forgot one.

Crappy flatware:

A windchime?

Helping forge a sense of tribal unity by recalling high school cafeteria days. :stuck_out_tongue: (We called ourselves “the crew”.) :slight_smile:

Spoon heads as spinners for fishing.

Splints.

Next up: a bocce ball set.

Bocce ball set Depends on what they’re made of. The metal ones could be melted and shaped into knives, arrow heads, etc. Metal pieces are also good for attracting birds during hunting, to get them within range.

Plastic balls could also be melted and used as coating/paint, knife handles, cordage, string for instruments(CDs make nice picks/plectrums!), maybe fishing wire? If they float and are brightly colored they can be used for holding up fishnets.

Wooden balls can be carved into cups, containers, etc.

Plus, of course, ammo for slings.

Now, what useful could be done with that evil invention money?

Coins will make great jewelry and the paper could be used as fire starter.Next vinyl records

coins could also be melted down to be made into other things.

Vinyl records, well given the right technology, you could listen to them! Without it though, vinyl can be used in construction. The record, at the right heat, can be made extremely pliable and I have read that they can even be made into bowls.

Okay um…how about…plastic ID cards and credit cards?

Highly pliable ID cards can be stitched together to form a poncho when covered with tree sap or other water proof solutions. Credit cards can be sharped on one edge to make a scrapper or soft skin cutter. In a pinch they can be both used to dig in soft dirt and also as a reusable form of small wound cover on the larger body parts. last but not least they can also be used as scarecrows when strung together over crops.

Flat Panel TV Sets anyone

Flat Panel TVs… hmmm… a surface for cutting/drying/processing food. Making jewelry and ornaments from the electronic components. Using it for structural support.

Next: styrofoam.

[quote=“pagan48, post:28, topic:679”]Highly pliable ID cards can be stitched together to form a poncho when covered with tree sap or other water proof solutions. Credit cards can be sharped on one edge to make a scrapper or soft skin cutter. In a pinch they can be both used to dig in soft dirt and also as a reusable form of small wound cover on the larger body parts. last but not least they can also be used as scarecrows when strung together over crops.

Flat Panel TV Sets anyone[/quote]

you’d need a heck of a lot of ID cards to make a poncho.

[quote=“mirandavivian, post:27, topic:679”]coins could also be melted down to be made into other things.

Vinyl records, well given the right technology, you could listen to them! Without it though, vinyl can be used in construction. The record, at the right heat, can be made extremely pliable and I have read that they can even be made into bowls.

Okay um…how about…plastic ID cards and credit cards?[/quote]

you could make a bicycle powered record player.

i watched this myth busters episode a long time ago where they etch grooves in the sides of clay pots and play them with a record player needle. i wonder if it would be possible to rig up some sort of post apocalyptic bicycle powered record player and then create records for it out of clay?..

so the last challenge was Styrofoam? well Styrofoam is often used in molotove cocktails to make napalm because it’s so flammable and burns for a long time. smash it up and mix it with the gasoline in the bottle.

if you have a lot of it, it could also be used for insulation.

next challenge: car tires.

I love it!!!

If you store records correctly, they will probably last for about a century. You just gotta make sure you have enough needles. :wink: I don’t know if it’s necessary to make new records if you’re living with the people making the music, though. I guess to trade with other tribes? :slight_smile:

[quote=“BlueHeron, post:32, topic:679”]I love it!!!

If you store records correctly, they will probably last for about a century. You just gotta make sure you have enough needles. :wink: I don’t know if it’s necessary to make new records if you’re living with the people making the music, though. I guess to trade with other tribes? :)[/quote]

here’s a clip of a bike powered record player.
they test it out at around 2:20.

Car tires --> potato towers

Some threads discussing this:
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000dO1
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/archive.php/o_t/t_512/potato-towers-ii.html

Grow lots of potatoes in limited space, even in the city.

Tires can also be used to make sandals (and have been for years in third world countries). I wore a pair of tire sandals I got in Bolivia for about ten years.

Styrofoam - mixed with organic material, makes lightweight soil for using on top of building roofs. It takes the place of the sand in the soil. Most soil is too heavy for most building roofs, this solves that problem. It has been done successfully somewhere, forget where, think it was New York, to create rooftop gardens on apartment buildings.

Making potato towers out of tires and filling them with styrofoam-based soil, you can produce a lot of potatoes on one building roof.

Awesome. Styrofoam, of course, is also good insulation material.

Sacha, since you listed something for styrofoam, it’s your job to choose the next artifact to keep the daisy chain going. This thread hasn’t been used in a while, but that’s the idea of it.

I listed something for tires too!

Okay, next thing: chain-link fencing.

(Edit: already thought of something - a framework for a shelter, covered with bark, reeds, etc. So someone has to think of something else.)

That’s fine, the only requirement is that you have to keep the chain going by listing something new after you find some use(s) for the last item listed.

Here, I’ll start it up again:
plumbing

Well, plumbing is easy, it can be used for similar purposes to what it is now, ie., to channel water from one spot to another. For example, something is planted ten or twenty feet from a creek or pond and needs water, a length of PVC pipe could bring it a steady trickle.

Here is something harder: chunks of asphalt. There are going to be a lot of piles of asphalt as we rip it up.

you could use chunks of asphalt to plaster together (with adobe or something) to make shelters and you could use slabs of it to make tombs for the dead in a similar way. i can’t think of anything else other than the obvious other stuff you might use rock for.

ok, i don’t know if this counts, but what would we do with the (non native) animals locked up in zoos?