Rewild Wall Street!

Yes, these tactics would cause a massive backlash by those in power, since the status quo would be seriously threatened. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing! I mean, it sucks that it has to happen (because people will suffer), but the fact is that an backlash will inevitably be caused by any serious resistance. No backlash means there is no resistance, no opposition to the death march of this culture.

And as we are already seeing, the backlash is what is motivating many of the people to get off their asses and take a stand. The resistance starts with the few who are motivated to take action, the backlash begins, and then the resistance is joined by more and more people (and the support of the wider society). This is exactly why non-violence works at all as a strategy for resistance - the violence of the state against non-violent people is the very thing that gains the resistance mass public support, and as the repression escalates, the more people join the resistance and start fighting back.

As long as the police stay “friendly”, and the protesters stay non-confrontational (acting within the parameters allowed them by the state), the movement will not grow, and it will have no effect on the status quo. This spells death for the movement, because when people see their actions having no effect, they will get demoralized and will give up and go home - ending up even more disempowered than before. If the movement doesn’t continue to escalate its tactics, while there is momentum to support it, the movement will die (just like every movement that has come before it). It truly is now or never.

The Occupy Movement is essentially reformist. I don’t believe that reformism will accomplish what needs to happen.

I believe in grassroots evolutionism, if you will. People changing their lives, and figuring out how to share power and share the Earth. Resistance focuses on “them” and gives “them” energy – as Aikido recognizes. True revolution begins with focusing on us.

There are currents in Occupy that understand this, I think.

[quote=“vera, post:22, topic:1573”]The Occupy Movement is essentially reformist. I don’t believe that reformism will accomplish what needs to happen.

I believe in grassroots evolutionism, if you will. People changing their lives, and figuring out how to share power and share the Earth. Resistance focuses on “them” and gives “them” energy – as Aikido recognizes. True revolution begins with focusing on us.

There are currents in Occupy that understand this, I think.[/quote]

Perhaps there are, but those currents are merely eddies in the flow. Until the water rises to the top, the dam can’t let any pass.

Generally I believe that the only way to kill/change/exit the system is by mass attrition, i.e., simply stop being a part of it. But I don’t think that when it comes down to it there will be a grey area choice - you will either be a part of it or you will not, and there will eventually be bullets involved.