Permaculture Cities

Yeah, agriculture gets about as close to a vegetarian society as humans have ever managed to heathily pull off. Only in agricultural societies do you find vegetarianism espoused as a value in itself. But even then, well, you see how that works out ecologically.

How do you think cities provide more stability than an annual festival? For example, we know of one festival spot used in the Paleolithic for about 30,000 years. Compare that to the oldest continuously-inhabited city, Jericho, and its measely 11,000 years. You don’t just have a few weeks, because next year you all get together again, and those “weak link” relationships that Jeff Vail writes about get picked right back up again.

How would a city in the midst of tribes stop itself from consuming all the tribes around it? We’ve had cities built precisely with such intentions before, but they always end up gobbling up everything around them, no matter what its people want.

Well, yes, vegetarianism has developed out of agriculture, but I don’t think the two nescessariyl have to be associated. A city wouldn’t have to be completely vegetarian either, you could have a few cows or chickens, and that would actually work better with the gardens.

What I mean by stability is the possibility to have strong links within that diversity, instead of just weak links. So sure, you see the same people again every year, but you only have weak link relationships with those people, instead of in a city where yo could have strong link relationships.

I’ve never heard of anything like that before, could you give an example?

Well, yes, vegetarianism has developed out of agriculture, but I don't think the two nescessariyl have to be associated. A city wouldn't have to be completely vegetarian either, you could have a few cows or chickens, and that would actually work better with the gardens.

But the more of that you do, the further up the trophic levels you go, and the smaller the population you can support.

What I mean by stability is the possibility to have strong links within that diversity, instead of just weak links. So sure, you see the same people again every year, but you only have weak link relationships with those people, instead of in a city where yo could have strong link relationships.

I don’t know if you mean the same thing by strong links and weak links that the rest of us do. Weak links go far afield; they help you get a perspective from outside your local group. Acquaintances have weak links. You and I have a weak link. A tribe or band would have strong links. They’ll stand by you through thick and thin, but because you all have so much in common, you tend not to have much diversity. Your family and best friends will have strong links.

In a city, you have strong links and weak links. You live in the midst of thousands or even millions, but you still only really know a handful of people. Actually, with millions, most of us become increasingly isolated, lucky if we have even two or three strong links. You need both; you need weak links to spice things up and keep you from stagnating, and you need strong links for day-to-day support.

Which actually fits an annual festival model perfectly, almost as if it evolved that way. :slight_smile:

I've never heard of anything like that before, could you give an example?

Try reading Jack Weatherford’s Savages & Civilization; I’ve thought that I should have another thesis, “Civilization may collapse from cultural homogeneity,” based on the arguments in that book. Really, you could trace this line of thinking all the way back to ibn Khaldun.

True, but up to a certain point, having animals involved can actually enhance the productivity of the horticultural system.

I totally agree that you need both weak and strong links, and I mean exactly the same things as you by those terms. I think that in a city, there is the possibility to have strong links, even across lines of diverse opinions. This possibility wouldn’t arise in a small village or a tribe becuase you wouldn’t be able to maintain more than acquaintance type relationships with any different sort of group - you simply wouldn’t encounter them enough. The bueaty of the city is that you can have links for day-to-day support that encompasse and are enriched by the difference in ways of life. IN another way, cities allow people who don’t fit in to easily find anothe rgroup to live with and maintain links with. In a tribe, you are stuck to a certain extent, cultural boundaries often see to that.

Yeah, the whole homogenity thing doesn’t work, which is really why I support this so strongly, I think a world that is populated by a bunch of different types of scoial organization, no just ways of living, is a better, stronger world. Furthermore, the possibility of cities expanding is severly limited, as you pointed out in “It will be impossible to Rebuild Civilization”.

My library doesn’t have Savages and Civilization, and though I might look into getting it (is it worth it?) is there anything else you could suggest?

I totally agree that you need both weak and strong links, and I mean exactly the same things as you by those terms. I think that in a city, there is the possibility to have strong links, even across lines of diverse opinions. This possibility wouldn't arise in a small village or a tribe becuase you wouldn't be able to maintain more than acquaintance type relationships with any different sort of group - you simply wouldn't encounter them enough. The bueaty of the city is that you can have links for day-to-day support that encompasse and are enriched by the difference in ways of life. IN another way, cities allow people who don't fit in to easily find anothe rgroup to live with and maintain links with. In a tribe, you are stuck to a certain extent, cultural boundaries often see to that.

This sounds like strong-weak links, in that you want strong links, that you can easily break and reform with other people, and go about breaking and reforming… I’ve done this all throughout school, though never a strong link, because you just… don’t break those easily… so it just became all weak links, every year I would change my group of friends, or acquaintances, this going through and having no lasting relationships really hits me hard. Ending school with about 2 friends total, enough to allow someone to migrate 2500 miles from home…
You could say I hit that ‘people who don’t fit in to easily’ (quiet and cynical) mark, and I never much found what you speak of there, and the people who I do feel strong connections with end up few and far between (and apart). I do love making new friends, and meeting new people and all that, but I desire the strong link… even though I seem to have broken about everything I possibly could have.

I think that in a city, there is the possibility to have strong links, even across lines of diverse opinions. This possibility wouldn't arise in a small village or a tribe becuase you wouldn't be able to maintain more than acquaintance type relationships with any different sort of group - you simply wouldn't encounter them enough.

Well, firstly, you can only have so much diversity in your strong links, much less than you can have in your weak links. After all, strong links means you have a lot of contact with them and you have a lot of mutual influence over one another, so you need to have a lot in common, and as time goes on, you’ll have more in common. Diversity, to some extent, contradicts strong links.

Among my weak links, I have born-again and Evangelical Christians, with whom I could hardly disagree more. If I tried to become the best of friends with these people, I would need to rely on heavy shared interests throughout the rest of their life, and ignore their religion; in which case, how much diversity really separates our opinions? Or, over time, they would convert me or I would convert them. Strong links erode diverse opinions, because they exist only in intimate social contact, and intimate social contact works to break down differences between people.

But you seem to imply that living in a city, you might have more strong links. Living in a crowded area, though, will not put more hours in the day or increase your cognitive capacity. It takes time and energy to maintain strong links. In fact, the pressures of city life generally reduce the number of strong links we have time to take care of. So distance doesn’t separate you, but time and energy separate you from your neighbor far more effectively than the distance between villages ever could. Thus, historically, city-dwellers have had fewer, not more, strong links than village- or band-dwellers.

N another way, cities allow people who don't fit in to easily find anothe rgroup to live with and maintain links with. In a tribe, you are stuck to a certain extent, cultural boundaries often see to that.

Which has led to the rigidification of social boundaries. Because they can expel you, social groups have become far more strict about what they expect. We don’t compromise, and we never learn to work things out, because we can so easily walk away or expel. Gay? Black? Jewish? “We don’t want yer kind here, son.” Traditional cultures have flexibility in their traditions. Yes, they have gender roles, but they also have so many genders that everyone can find one that fits them. Yes, they have common beliefs, but in a religion that grows and automatically accepts anyone’s new observation. Yes, they often have some ethnic homogeneity, but they define themselves by their language and other signs of their dwelling with the land, not by ethnic traits.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that the ease with which we can abandon one social group and join another lays the foundation for one of our biggest problems. It withers the value of our societies, and as any traditional culture will tell you, the struggle of individual against society does not exist, anymore than an oak tree opposes the soil it grows in. Rootlessness, socially and bioregionally, lies at the root of so many of our civilized afflictions. We think to blame parochial intolerance, not realizing that parochial intolerance grew as we walked away from our traditions, like the bitterness of a spurned lover. Our social mobility erodes the social soil of our ability to express our individuality just as our tilling erodes the physical soil we grow our crops in.

Yeah, the whole homogenity thing doesn't work, which is really why I support this so strongly, I think a world that is populated by a bunch of different types of scoial organization, no just ways of living, is a better, stronger world. Furthermore, the possibility of cities expanding is severly limited, as you pointed out in "It will be impossible to Rebuild Civilization".

Adding something new doesn’t always increase diversity. Maximal diversity has come from villages and bands, while cities have gobbled up everything around them. Putting a bunch of people in one place doesn’t mean you’ve made a bigger community. It cuts both ways: festivals give you “city life” with no city, but look at the villages of the Ik in Uganda, or some of the cities of the Rust Belt. There you have a city with no city life.

Not just expanding, but even starting a city simply won’t work in the world we’ll leave our descendants. You simply can’t support a city on permaculture; it doesn’t produce enough food to support thousands of people. It produces enough to support hundreds of people, a village. By no one’s imagination would a few hundred people make a city.

My library doesn't have Savages and Civilization, and though I might look into getting it (is it worth it?) is there anything else you could suggest?

Well, every history book will tell you the story of how cities have gobbled up all societies around them, but as far as why they need to, that one gives you the best information I’ve ever found tucked between two covers.

This sounds like strong-weak links, in that you want strong links, that you can easily break and reform with other people, and go about breaking and reforming... I've done this all throughout school, though never a strong link, because you just.. don't break those easily.. so it just became all weak links, every year I would change my group of friends, or acquaintances, this going through and having no lasting relationships really hits me hard. Ending school with about 2 friends total, enough to allow someone to migrate 2500 miles from home..

Good point, and it plugs into what I said a little bit ago about rootlessness. A link that you can break too easily can never become very strong. If nothing else, the fear of when you might break it will always loom overhead, warning you both not to put too much into it. Strong links require commitment, freely offered. Why do you think every society has offered some kind of marriage?

Fenris, you sound like most of us trapped in civilization. They’ve actually done studies of social isolation in the U.S., and it keeps growing. Where tribal people will have dozens of strong links and hundreds of weak ones, most of us can barely keep all of our weak links together. You can count yourself ahead of the American par if you’ve managed to hold onto even one or two strong links. Cities don’t encourage a broad diversity of strong links (which contradicts itself, anyway); it encourages a huge array of weak links, and no strong links at all.

[quote=“Fenriswolfr, post:18, topic:774”]This sounds like strong-weak links, in that you want strong links, that you can easily break and reform with other people, and go about breaking and
reforming… I’ve done this all throughout school, though never a strong link, because you just… don’t break those easily…[/quote]
I’m not talking about breaking links, I’m talking about allowing people to find their place, even when their place isn’t necessarily the same as their parents place. I’m talking about allowing people who don’t fit in to find the strong links that work for them - there is a greater chance of this in the city simply becuase you have a greater diversity of people.

I completely disagree with that statement, from my own experience, I have numerous friends that have completely different opinions yet still I can rely on them and be supported by them, and have strong links with them. Maybe we’re talking about different types of diversity, and thinking about it, I am coming to realize that what I’m talking about doesn’t necessarily need a city. The kind of diversity I’m talking about is not superficial, it is deep, but it relies on a common interest - different opinions, but different opinions on the same things - a common frame of reference. Maybe you are right, maybe you do need this common frame of reference to have strong links, and maybe this can exist in the tribe. I think the kind of link I am referring to is different - it is weak, but it is consistent and ongoing and intimate - maybe this is an unhealthy form of link but I don’t think so. These kind of links allow us to expand ourselves and our view points on an ongoing basis. Thank you Jason for forcing me to really figure out what I am talking about.

I understand your situation fenris, I am in much the same situation now, struggling to find strong links, coming up with a few, that feel so good. School does that sometimes, it is annoying, breaking up classes and re-making them all the time. I guess one should be able to maintain relationships in the midst of that but I’m not so good at it.

I agree that conventional, standard living approaches to living in a city don’t work, but I think that I am talking about a really different kind of city. I mean, everyone would have to be involved food production to some degree, things wouldn’t be as tight as they are now. I’m not saying that people would have more strong links, just different types of strong links. Maybe they would have less - it isn’t a life for everybody, but I still think it is valuable.

I set my level that turns a city into a village at two thousand people, and I think that number could be sustained by permaculture - permaculture or forms of bio-intensive have the potential for much larger yields per area than conventional agriculture and if all the space in the city was fully maximized as well as growing things inside, and maybe a small ring of fields just beyond the city walls - but no more than one could walk. This size would also prohibit growth or taking over of tribal lands becuase of the very dynamics of permaculture that it is more labour intensive making it nearly impossible to have an army.

Two-thousand seems like a reasonable limit, but permaculture can support something on the order of 150-300 people in a densely settled area. It’s never supported anything more than 500 without requiring massive inputs from outlying areas, whether in trade, tribute, or taxes. It still slips into the ecological definition of a city, “a settlement so dense as to require the importation of resources.” That makes cities fundamentally unsustainable. With a permacultural city, you basically want a city that doesn’t meet the definition of a city, or a city that can support itself. But you can’t support 2,000 or even 1,000 people living in one, dense settlement off of any sustainable subsistence base, humans just need more food than that.

I’m thinking, talking about cities and things, that it might be more useful to talk in terms of population density than actual size. You could have an extensive area, all one settlement, but at what point does it cease to offer the concentration of diversity offered in a city?

I don’t know, I don’t have the historical facts, but I think that this might be unique. I said before that I don’t think that this could arise in the normal course of time because the knowledge and techniques of bio-intesive have never been congruent with a human populace adapted (to a certain extent) to cities before. So, I don’t know if historical precedent applies. I understand that groups bigger than that have either broken up or become cities in the unsustainable sense (by the way, i think that in these terms, we need a different definition of city - one that isn’t unsustainable by definition) but there are social factors to consider as well as need and vision. The sheer number of settlements out there in the world that could be classified as cities means that there is going to be a greater variety of attempts to make this work than has ever been seen before.

In a way, I see the opposite of this, that you have a greater chance in a smaller setting, in a way that might almost seemed forced, as one doesn’t have to go through this process of searching and finding those who fit right with them, you, and the others around you, all work together, giving and taking, to create these strong links, regardless. I suppose if that doesn’t work, one could always take off and see where that leads them…

Yeah, I see your point, and Jason said a similar thing earlier. There is a lot more social togetherness in a tribal setting, and it sort of allows or forces strong links to devlop where they might not otherwise. Then again, maybe this isn’t always a good thing becuase it limits the total viewpoints in the world - maybe mozart would have been born into a non-musical tribe and never become a musician.

Every society wastes a certain amount of potential. You just have to minimize it. Tribal societies minimized that, in all the ways we’ve so often discussed. Our own society maximizes that waste by setting up a tiny elite, and only giving a real chance for someone from that tiny minority to flourish.

But I agree, we really need to talk about population density and food density. So do you mean, say, two-thousand people, living by permaculture, putting them at something like 15 per square mile? (If a horticultural village has fields out to half a day’s journey, and we can estimate that at 5mi., then a village of 150 lives on an area of about 10 square miles, or 150/10 = 15 per square mile) So your “city” of 2,000 would spread out over an area of over 130 square miles. It would take you 13 days to walk across your city. Imagine two and a half Pittsburghs, only populated with just 0.6% of the current population of just one Pittsburgh.

Like you said, you really want population density. That gives you a population density lower than a horticultural village, where 150 people live in a single village, or even a hunter-gatherer band, where up to 30 people live close together. To say nothing of how you’d ever have productive permaculture scaling up like that, without regard to permacultural principles like edge or zone 5. I think that really gets to the heart of why a permacultural city contradicts itself.

Maybe this post should actually go under the Dunbar’s number story. . .

Anyway, I see the anonymity of city living and the easy dismissal from social groups as forcing a situation of many weak links, a wide and shallow network of social contacts. I’ll raise my hand and volunteer as poster child.

Yes! If you had no choice whether to find a way to get along with your small group, they would accept you and vice/versa and you wouldn’t need the vast catacombs of tiny social niches of people just like you, that you can find living in a big city (like, ironically, those-who-rewild). Your links would grow strong as a result of constant interaction about stuff that really matters to you, not just liking the same hobby or whatever.

Okay, if you went with 10 square miles - a days walk - as the maximum size and the reasonable limit of 2000 as a population, than that gives you a density of 200 people per square mile, which is still a lot lower than most modern cities. Given that, you would have more green space on ground level than cities do now, and now they have a lot. This is higher than both the village and the tribe density, as the tribe moves over a large space. I talked about the edge thing already and zone five, well zone five is mostly a learning zone, it never is meant to provide much food, and with the zone five bieng only a days walk away at most, it is still pretty accessible.

[quote=“yarrow dreamer, post:26, topic:774”]Anyway, I see the anonymity of city living and the easy dismissal from social groups as forcing a situation of many weak links, a wide and shallow network of social contacts. I’ll raise my hand and volunteer as poster child.
If you had no choice whether to find a way to get along with your small group, they would accept you and vice/versa and you wouldn’t need the vast catacombs of tiny social niches of people just like you, that you can find living in a big city (like, ironically, those-who-rewild). Your links would grow strong as a result of constant interaction about stuff that really matters to you, not just liking the same hobby or whatever.[/quote]

Yarrow dreamer, what you say really hits close to home with me, but I’ll move my discussion of it over to your new thread.

But how will you feed 200 people per square mile? Permaculture doesn’t produce enough food for that. You’ll need agriculture, and outlying farms bringing food in even for that density.

Zone 5 provides a lot more than just learning. No, it doesn’t produce food directly, but all of your areas that do produce food do so because they interact with zone 5. Edge means the interface between two ecological zones. Zone 5, wilderness, gives you your ecological vitality. It gives you the homes for other-than-human animals that make permaculture so productive. You can’t have a forest edge without first having a functioning forest, and wilderness needs space to remain healthy and viable. Remove zone 5, and the productivity of permaculture comes tumbling down to almost nothing, little more than what you’d get from a small conventional farm with low yield-per-acre. Which explains why you never see permaculture effectively scaled up, with permacultural gardens put up right next to one another. That whole idea comes from the logic of agriculture; when you do that, you cease to practice permaculture at all, and become just another farmer. Yet, if you don’t do that, you can’t produce enough food to supply even the modest cities you’ve outlined. Which brings me to why I’ve always said that cities fundamentally, by their very nature, cannot sustain themselves. We need to look outside of cities, and remember that the good things about cities really have nothing at all to do with cities!

Here is another aspect of this discussion that I haven’t seen addressed in this thread.

Even within a village or city, if the food production of the vegetation is enhanced in some way, all of the creatures (not just humans) that rely on that food will move in to take advantage of that increased amount of food.

The town that I go to to do my shopping and town stuff is a small town, 4000 people. There is a big tradition of gardening and home food production and preserving here. Quite a few fruit trees and stuff. There is also a huge population of deer that lives in town. You see them everywhere, any time of day. Bears are also commonly seen in town especially from July to October.

It might sound like hey, that’s a bonus! But hunting in town is difficult. Protecting a crop by hunting doesn’t really work. All it takes is a night or two and a couple of hungry bears to wipe out a lot of ripe fruit, not to mention damage to the trees as well.

So I guess my point is, creating higher density concentrations of quality food attracts others who will want that food and sets up a situation where you have a resource that requires protection.

I think it’s better for the food resources to be more dispersed.

Well, I think we can assume draconian measures to crack down on other-than-human life as par for the city course–fences, scarecrows, perhaps even some organic pesticides and the like. Permaculture offers a lot of ways to keep other animals out already, but obviously a “permaculture city” will play pretty fast and loose with the criteria of permaculture, including abandoning it altogether if it means to support 200 people per square mile.

Okay, “intruders” can be useful and helpful to a system if the system is managed right, they can actually increase yield - the objective is to be like a climax ecosystem - right? I admit that the version of permaculture you would have in a city would not be the same as you would have in a village - you would have to lean more towards bio-intensive as opposed to strict permaculture, but this kind of thing can be scaled up. And, as hey victor pointed out, you bring in natural “intruders” and the line between ecosystem and garden becomes blurry.

The difference between the city and agriculture type permaculture, which would be an oxymoron, is that you are not creating one big garden in the city, but a lot of small ones. You are scaling up, but not all together, becuase is garden is micromanaged and delineated from each other one - there is no reason that gardens have to miles apart to be considered separate, micro-gardens.

But if you don’t have enough space between gardens, then you don’t have a healthy zone 5. Which means you have no edge–a garden up against another garden does not an edge make. Even if you have something between, but you don’t give it enough space to fully develop its own ecology, you’ve got the same problem. Hence, different subsistence technologies give you different food densities. The yield per acre of a permacultural garden sits pretty high, but that seems a bit deceptive, because you only have a figure so high because of all the zone 5 around it, giving you that healthy, productive edge. You really need to take that into account when you figure your yield per acre, which vastly increases the acreage, which drastically reduces your yield per acre. Put gardens close enough together for this plan to work, and you’ll see their productivity plummet to something less than typical agriculture gets.

In fact, your plan describes precisely the way every horticultural villages lays itself out: a village surrounded by each members’ gardens, spread out around the village. But to keep garden productivity up, they need to be spaced out apart from each other to produce edge, and you can only cover the area you can readily get to. As a result, they only produce enough food to support a core community of a hundred or so people. What would your plan do differently that would support thousands of people?