Old English Language

Reviving this thread now. “chase” was my old account, fyi.
Since I was last on this forum, I have done quite a bit more work on rewilding English from a base of English culture.
The word “love” can mean so many things that I thought I would find Old English words with subtle differences and make them new again. Lust- gal (pronounced like slang for “girl”); love for family (also means “forgiveness”) - liss (rhymes with “bliss”); love of friend/non-sexual companion - kathe (rhymes with “bathe”); finally, romance - luv.
Relation words : gad (rhymes with “sad”) “society”, from the same base as “gather”; “close relative” - knirs (like combining “knit” and “fierce”); “chief(tess)” - theeden (same word as Theoden, king of Rohan in the Lord of the Rings) , theedess; tribal council (“council of the wise”) - wittenmeet (OE - witangemot); general or tribal council (“the people’s council”) - folkmeet (varient - folkmoot, OE: folkmot); tribe (those adopted and blood-relations who organize politically and live together) - theed (see “chief” to compare meanings); niece - nift (rhymes with “shift”), nephew - nev, paternal uncle - fadera (first vowel like in “father”), maternal uncle - ahm, maternal aunt - mudrie, paternal aunt - fada (first vowel like “and”).
Most languages divide the color spectrum differently. Old English was no exception. Some English colors that are different from Anglo-latin Creole (thats the one we speak): black, dark gray - swart or swarthy; gray-blue, purple, slate - wan (vowel is like “a” in “water”); light blue - blie.
Native English animal names: deer - roha (pronounce the “h”, making it like Spanish “roja”); eagle - arn (rhymes with “barn”); badger - brock (rhymes with “sock”); snake - worm; the following are more or less like I would have them: fowl (bird), hound (dog), hawk, finch, raven.

I’m so bummed that my browser is messing up whatever this word is and I can’t figure out how to set it to recognize more characters than just regular english alphabet. is it pronounced like fry-of-inth? where is the accent?

Have you heard of "wight", which essentially means "nature being", or "other-than-human-person"? See [url=http://www.animism.org.uk/wights.htm]http://www.animism.org.uk/wights.htm[/url]

I knew the word “wight” from Lord of the Rings. Check it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrow-wight

Dang, I can sympathise to not being able to read something cause your browser cant handle non-standard characters. The word is “frith”, rhyming with “sith” (as in Starwars)
Were you meaning to bring back up the word “wight”? I actually think its an OK word, but lacks descriptive power. If one is concerned with speaking generally (see what I did there?) and inclusively, I recommend its use, but I prefer to note the individuality of kinds of wights by giving their names when talking about them. Sort of the difference between saying “thank you whoever helped me” and “thank you, the one who helped me.” Does that make sense?

Wow awesome thread haven’t looked at this in years. Missed all of oakcorn’s love stuff!