Introductions

hrm, where to start?

i’m not wild, i’m not rewilded (is that what it’s called?) yet. i’m 32, living in the portland, oregon area and contemplating my cage. after reading some of the Anthropik Theses, and drifting around some i’ve washed up here, for better or worse.

can’t claim that i will follow all the rules. can’t even claim i understand all of them, so forgive me if i engage in anything untoward. it might take awhile to wrap my head around a bunch of people discussing things on the internet who go out of their way NOT to argue with each other.

as for details, i’ve read lotsa stuff (but not what seem to be considered the “Bible(s)” around here, yet) but forgotten most of it. Diamond’s two books, “1491”, “The End of Work”, and a multitude of other stuff that may or may not bear directly on the topic at hand, but has allowed me to coddle together my own limited, small version of philosophy. and that philosophy emphatically states that the reality as it is currently constructed is crap, and that it’s time to scrap that and get something that actually works. or at least, generally works for most people and definitely works for the environment that they depend upon, without exploitation and zero-sum games.

hope i can fit in here.

Hi suspiria_two,

I hope I can ease your anxiety about “the rules”… there aren’t many, and you can read about them here: http://www.rewild.info/conversations/index.php?topic=1086.0
(Urban Scout posted the rules that all moderators here enforce; my post about Arne Naess’ recommendations for public discussion are just that… recommendations.)

Usually if a mod finds somebody saying something that we fear may damage the online community, we’ll send them a message and give them a chance to have a conversation with us about it (unless they’re obviously trolling for a fight). So it’s not too totalitarian here, I hope! :slight_smile:

Mainly, we try to stay clear of ad hominem attacks. Most people know what this means (DO debate ideas, DON’T sling insults) and the forum members know that what’s not permitted. Sometimes a post will hit a little too close to home and I (personally) think it’s understandable/forgiveable if someone slips up while writing passionately about this or that topic… but it’s a mod’s job to point out any personal-boundary transgressions and ask them to apologize.

After that’s all said…
Welcome! Looking forward to what you have to say. The thirty theses are great, huh? I keep finding new material to digest and deliberate over every time I visit Anthropik.

hi i’m lopi, i’m 22, i live in wolf creek oregon, spent a month at root festival in arco with finisia this summer and did a bit of berry camp with a friend in washington this year. heading north again in the spring to the bellingham area and just thought i’d say hi. probably going to be in the north washington/south BC area for most of the summer.
looking to hook up with rewilders, collaborate and scheme to plant, and get leads on locations for seed gathering/root harvest, etc. and so forth. probably a bicycle-based endeavour.
loving all of you
hiii

Welcome Lopi,

Did Sarah (Selkie) and I see you at Root Camp last year, we stopped by for about a week?

not sure…! i have red hair, dreads. was in arco and beyond, camas prarie, the hole, nevada… i don’t know if i remember you. also, we might have missed eachother if we were out at camp or something.

and, i only was there in 2008.
might go back 2009… not sure yet…! i miss me some rewilding family. faeries don’t really cut it!

We came in about a week before most people I guess, (mid June) both blond and I stand 6’5", I remember seeing two younger females there, can’t say I remember that description though. I might go 2009 too, at least hope to if I can.

My name is Céline La Sauvage, I have wanted to rewild since I was about 6 years old. One day I shall live self-sustainably with my husband in nature. I cannot wait. Thank you for this website, it has much invaluable information I shall need some day :wink:

Hey, I’m Snowflake, I’m 26 and I live in Portland, OR. I’m originally from NJ. I have been into shamanism for a couple years and always felt a deep connection with nature, but I only really got into primitive skills last summer when I found myself living in a tipi on an organic farm owned by a guy who once taught at BOSS. It was an awesome experience – for the first time ever, I was surrounded by herbalists and survivalists and all manner of the rewilding community. I spent the rest of the year doing an apprenticeship with the school/organization Primitive Pursuits in Ithaca, NY. Then I traveled across the country and went to Burning Man. Now I’m in Oregon, taking an herb class taught by Penny Scout and loving it. She is a talented intuitive as well. ;D

I have a blog you guys might dig, www.FirstWays.com (If that link gives you trouble, let me know). I’m psyched to be on this board and to learn from you all, and to get to know you. Without the internet to connect us, rewilding can seem like a lonely passion. If anybody here is in Portland and wants to get together to go camping or foraging or whatever, hit me up. :slight_smile:

I’m Kelda and I live in Puyallup, er, Pierce County, WA. I’m a permaculture enthusiast and sometimes teacher. I garden & gather food wherever I go, but have not learned much about primitive skills, per se.

I’m always trying to learn something new each week, so I’ll get around to much of it eventually.

My idols are Heidi Bohan and Carrie Little.

hi kelda,
i grew up in puyallup…
good to know someone is doing good work there.
thanks!

Welcome new folks!

DemonHunter here. I’m in my 20’s from the northeast US. In my late teens I started to understand how civ destroys the body (and also, in a more vague, subconscious way, that it hurts the mind/soul too). Since then I’ve spent a lot of time trying to fix damage done and live more in accordance with my instincts/nature.

I was looking for articles on human gait and I ended up at Anthropik. His approach in the article and the rest of the site resonated with me. http://anthropik.com/2007/06/learning-to-walk/

From there I clicked over to Urban’s blog, and then here. That was in late 2006.

Welcome DemonHunter!

I’ll do my shameless promotion now, wherein anytime anyone mentions being in, being near, or having ever thought about being in or near the northeast, I mention the group I’ve started to help people network and plan events in the New England area. If you happen to be in the New England area, check out the link in my signature.

I just saw the discussion about “bush hippies.” I think that’s a hilarious term. I think we’re all feral at heart.

Welcome, DemonHunter. Have you been lurking this whole time?? :wink:

Hello all.

Recently landed on this website and am excited to check it out. I used to teach survival to about twenty kids between the age of 12 and 18 in the north woods of minnesota. we would disappear for a week in the summer and a week in the winter. i have fell victim to bills and work and lost touch with teaching natures way. i am currently looking at clearing my good name from the grid and getting back to the woods. i own property and a small home/cabin in northern wisconsin that i am thinking about selling and head into the western states for some timber cruising and get in touch with the person i used to be. i am prior military, and have a medical background. see ya’ll soon…

hi my name is roy im 21 from central california
iv been into rewilding and stuff for a few years now. i dont really have any real direction. i have just sorta been slipping deeper and deeper into the idea of rewilding. iv alwase in a way hated civilization, i have alwse hated concrete and buildings. i eat roadkill. i dont know what else to say really. got any questions just ask

hello all.

I’m moxie, from VT. still in high school (only a semester left) and then looking forward to traveling around on my own for awhile. I’ve dreampt about going on some kind of journey where I sustain myself without money or civilized contact since I was little. The past year I’ve been trying to learn more about foraging edible plants, building shelters, and I’ve been trying to find someone who can teach me how to hunt with bow and arrow.

I used to be part of ishthink.org (for discussing daniel quinn’s books and ideas) but recently it disappeared. while trying to find it I came across this site.

I look forward to meeting like minded folks.

moxie

-trying to find a way out of the moneybox-

Welcome victor, walter, and Moxie!

And thanks for signing up for Rewild New England, Moxie. You totally beat me to jumping all over you letting you know about it as soon as you introduced yourself. Hopefully we’ll be able to facilitate your goals.

Long Lake Conservation Center?

Just venturing a guess… I’d be totally tickled if I guessed right, because I went on one of the winter retreats at LLCC with my 5th grade class. The whole trip remains as one of my favorite memories from that age.

Anyway, welcome victor, and walter and Moxie, to the online community!