Fermented Food

Thanks, kettuvaloinen. That’s a really clever method.

I have just one question. What do you mean when you say “pin”? Do you mean “jar,” or something else?

i got some extra Kombucha mothers if anyone wants…

Yes, jar i meaned…

There’s also notes that people have stored fermented food in pit (hole) in the ground. On the bottom is clay that is tread tight and wall’s are made from wood. It’s like when storaging vegetables.

Of course you have to take regularly surface yeast away, if there isn’t any water lock preventing all carbondioxide coming out, which prevents surface yeast growing by letting only extra carbondioxide out but keeping rest. Water lock can be made by making trough/groove (like ditch) to the wide edge of the wall and water into it.

If there’s some hole in cover or walls, you can use birch bark tar or clay to fill them, so that all carbondioxide can’t get out.

Is the water lock a little bit like one of those ceramic butter keepers? It’s hard to describe… I’ll find a picture:

You put water in the bottom of the larger bowl, so when you put the lid on (the soft butter will stick up inside the little bowl it sits in), there is an airtight seal around the butter.

I’m imagining the water lock to look like this:

...............................................................
                  /                                                                 \<-----Lid
                 |                                                                   |

-----------| | | | | |-------
| | ~~ | | ~~~ | |
| H2O | | H2O |
|…| |…|
| Food |
| |
|…|

Is that right?