Dealing with non-believers

Billy-

Jason, you are skilled at arguement. You have re-created me as a "non-believer".

I suppose I could say no less skilled than you, since you have re-created me as a belligerent debater, uninterested in trying to understand you as a person. But more to the point, I don’t see how I’ve recreated you as a “non-believer.” For one, I abhor the title of this thread, as I said before. If nothing else, I don’t even “believe” in belief as such, with its connotations of an internal mental life separate from our physical participation and dwelling in the world, but also in the ugliness of that sharp division between “believers” and “non-believers.” As a shorthand, I can excuse its use, but only grudgingly, but participating so much under this heading does make me chafe.

But where have I said anything about you as a “believer” or a “non-believer”? For that matter, what have I said about you, aside from estimating you as an accomplished and skilled person, with experiences well worth honoring and giving attention to? If by this you mean that I have traced assumptions underlying your arguments that lead to things you disagree with, then I would hardly call that re-creating you as a “non-believer.” In rewilding, I found myself pursuing lines of thought that ultimately revealed foundations in assumptions I’d long since discarded. When you overturn your old view of the world, so many other ideas remain, springing from conclusions made under a mess of other assumptions, that weeding them out becomes a life-long challenge. I myself have found some hidden under multiple generations of such worldview revolutions, and I see this process as continually ongoing. When I trace the assumptions that underlie a person’s argument, it has nothing to do with what you “believe” or say. It has to do with the intellectual history of the idea you’ve defended. At its best, I hope I can help others with the process I struggle with continually myself of finding what things I’ve continued to cling to long after I overturned its founding assumptions. Since you obviously still live, and I don’t believe that you have ascended to a divine and infallible status, either, then you must partake in that process, too. We all do. But even if you have explored all of the underlying assumptions and received wisdom that lies behind your conclusions, we still live in a particular culture, dwelling in the world in a particular pattern where your words carry certain meanings and undertones. Perhaps you do understand the full history of the ideas you cite to support your contentions, but if you do, you’ve certainly not laid that out in your writing. Whatever you yourself think, you’ve written a piece that relies on certain cultural beliefs in things like asceticism and dualism in order to carry the weight they do, things I very much disagree with. In fact, I cannot express my disagreement with them without digging into their history, because I don’t disagree with the statements you’ve made as you’ve made them–I disagree with the assumptions those statements rely on. Because I reject those assumptions, your statements carry no meaning for me. Ideas build on each other in succession; if I don’t accept your foundations, then our discussion about the ceiling means nothing. So no, I don’t think I’ve misrepresented your words, twisted your words, or re-created you in any way. Really, I haven’t talked about you at all. The foundations for your arguments concern me most of all. We can’t really discuss the ceilings you’ve described, because I take issue with your foundations. I can’t see that as misrepresenting your words at all; on the contrary, by its very nature it sets aside your words entirely and looks at an altogether other level of the discussion. Now, perhaps I’ve misidentified your foundations. Perhaps you have an altogether different foundation than the one most of us would imply, from our shared traditions. That still wouldn’t mean I had twisted your words, but it would invite you to elaborate on those other foundations. That would actually advance this discussion greatly, since we could talk about some ways that would both support your point of view and move us away from our tradition of asceticism.

But I see no reason to indulge in such ugliness as all this. I have a great deal of respect for you, though you seem to have made it clear that you don’t reciprocate that. I can live with that; I see little in my life worth respecting, really. But I would hope that we can at least discuss our differences, since that appeals to the very reason for any message board.

I firmly believe that a wild life in relationship with the natural world is "the good life" and a far better way to live than being a cog in the mechanism of mainstream society. ... The difference is values.

If I wanted to disregard you as much as you’ve disregarded me, I might say that you’ve twisted my words here. But I don’t want to do that. In fact, I can see how you could get that meaning from what I wrote. Let me elaborate on what I meant by that, and I think I can better express the difference here. By putting “the good life” in quotes, I meant to indicate it as a kind of short-hand, appealing to the popular idea of “the good life”–the kind of lifestyle you might see on “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.” Greek philosophers often wrote about “the good life” and what constituted it, and we have a long tradition in our culture of speculating about and idolizing this “good life,” right down to the aforementioned TV show, or its contemporary equivalent on MTV, “Cribs.”

I have no doubt that you found something incredible with your family in the woods, and I don’t mean to degrade that or dishonor that in any way. I could hardly hope for anything better than that in my own life, and I really do admire that you achieved that, and I do want to honor that experience. And for you to achieve that good life certainly did involve a different set of values. But in the quoted sense, in the sense of “the good life” I’ve referred to, as a tradition of what luxury means rather than the literal sense of simply a life that we could describe as good, I disagree that we need to change our values.

In my foregoing responses, I’ve already made reference to many of the ways in which hunter-gatherers lived lives of luxury and ease, lives that we can recognize as the good life not only from a different set of values, but even from the current, mainstream values of Western society, including its notion of “the good life.”

Hunting that extensively would require changing hunting grounds regularly, which would mean moving the whole camp or having the hunters go on extended trips and bringing the meat and hides back home.

When I first read your argument, my first instinct urged me to challenge your calculations (I’ve never seen a pattern for a shirt that required more than one deer hide, for example), but Ben beat me to that. Instead, I’ll simply point out that in my admittedly impoverished and even endangered environment, 110 deer live in just 11 square miles. Some small towns cover a larger area than that, and if you put camp in the center of that, you could cover that entire area in day trips.

But, our area admittedly has a deer overpopulation problem. Even so, we often forget that one of the keys to hunter-gatherer life lies in the community. No one individual will take 110 deer in a year. If you live in the community of 12 people you outlined, and only four of you ever hunt, undertaking one successful hunt every two weeks, you’ll get the deer you need, with just 4 people out of 12 contributing, and then only once every two weeks. Now, to me, if you said that only 4 out of every 12 people ever have to work, and then only for a day once every two weeks, I would have a hard time describing that as anything but luxury, and that even before we consider whether or not you’ve overestimated how many deer it would take, as Ben suggested.

Hunting that extensively would require changing hunting grounds regularly, which would mean moving the whole camp or having the hunters go on extended trips and bringing the meat and hides back home.

Absolutely. I assume this to constitute a fundamental element of hunter-gatherer life. The band moves between seasonal camps for precisely this reason.

I love deer meat. We eat lots of deer meat. But man, I'd get pretty bored of nothing but deer meat every meal every day. So we are gonna want to spend some time fishing, bird hunting. How about picking berries, digging roots collecting medicines.

Absolutely, but again, many of us do these recreationally right now. In popular culture, fishing sits as one of the most valued leisure activities. We imagine that only the rich could sit around and just fish all day. Have you ever heard the story of the Mexican fisherman?

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while.”

The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs.

The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 - 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions—then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

This story exists precisely because some of us have begun to recognize the luxuries of the simpler life, though Mexican peasants still lead rough lives in many ways. But as I think this illustrates, I think you’d have a hard sell convincing someone that fishing all day would somehow not constitute a life of luxury! (Not that I think you would want to talk someone into that, but you did just cite the need for fishing as part of why no one with conventional Western values would think of this life as luxurious. We could have much the same discussion about picking berries and nuts, which many people also do recreationally.)

There are all of the daily tasks of gathering wood, hauling water, cooking, sewing, repairing, tool making and maintanance, hide preparation, butchering, food preparation and preserving.

As others have pointed out, not all of those happen daily, but yes, that definitely makes up part of hunter-gatherer life. I don’t think I ever suggested that hunting and gathering involves no work whatsoever, only that it constituted a life of luxury. We frequently say that people live in the laps of luxury, even when they must work up to a few hours a day. Rap stars need to go into the studio at least every once in a while, for instance, yet few would hesitate to use the word “luxury” about an episode of “Cribs” (well, they might, but only in preference for synonyms like “tight” and “bangin’” and “off the hook”). As others have pointed out, even these take place in a social context that in many ways undermines our conventional view of work.

The weather is not always co-operative so many of these activities need to be carried out in the pouring down rain, or 30 below, some have to be put off until conditions allow. So timing is very important. "When you feel like it" is an unrealistic attitude. The work needs to be done when the work needs to be done.

On this, the experience of hunter-gatherers seems to disagree with you. When rain pours, people stay inside. In Papua New Guinea, I’ve seen this become a problem for some tribes, because rain can continue for days, and no one will go out collecting food. Days will go by, and people will begin to get hungry. In fact, humans do not need to eat every day, and hunter-gatherers do sometimes go hungry. Not to the point of starvation, but hungry, nonetheless. These definitely indicate the moments in hunter-gatherer life that “luxury” would not apply. But they also happen relatively rarely in most areas.

For my own bioregion, Ben accurately described rain here–“heavy” can only apply for a few minutes, in my life’s experience–though I think he underestimated how cold things can get here. We regularly stay below 30 all winter long. Myself, I find 30 only slightly chilly because it happens so often here. At any rate, I cannot agree that “when you feel like it” forms an unrealistic attitude; hunter-gatherers have lived with that attitude for millions of years quite successfully. It has often infuriated, frustrated and mystified anthropologists, and lays waste to our “common sense” notions about our work ethic and its necessity, but hunter-gatherers genuinely do operate according to that logic, and if someone doesn’t feel like doing something, he doesn’t do it.

This would be typical for the area where I live and I guess probably reasonable for Pennsylvania too. This is just one angle to look at this lifestyle from.

Yes, and I don’t think that it illustrates the angle that hunter-gatherers have seen their lifestyle from. They hunt and gather when they feel like it. They make tools when they feel like it. They prepare food when they get hungry. I’ve seen this lead to some discomfort and no shortage of tension, yet they stick to this principle even so. And in the end, it generally works out all right for them.

Your angle, that “The work needs to be done when the work needs to be done,” sounds more like the work ethic I grew up with, and I assume you grew up with, too. We’ve always heard that we need that work ethic, too; we may not want to do it, but it needs done, so we have to do it. So of course, we’d have a hard time accepting that people could survive like this. Anthropologists had a hard time with it, too. We can know so certainly that it really works like this precisely because it made Western anthropologists so skeptical, and thus so interested in disproving it.

I can't see being able to lay around telling stories and feasting fitting in here to the extent that you would like us to believe. I don't see being able to do all this by working two hours a day if you happen to feel like it.

Well, take a look at how modern hunter-gatherers live, then. Even by your own calculations, you only need four people out of every twelve to go out hunting once every two weeks. So, if you go hunting one day, then sit around camp, laying around telling stories and feasting for thirteen, what would you point to as the major, defining part of your life experience, the occasional hunt or the constant leisure? With so little necessary, you can afford to simply rely on when people feel like it. In a society of trained hunters, you’d need an especially lazy group to find only four out of 12 that ever want to go hunting, and they’ll likely want to go more than once every two weeks. You’ll have kids that want to catch small game, people who want to go fishing. We have people who do these things simply because they want to right now. In fact, many people who would want to do these things more often, if only they could have the time to do so.

I think that the scenario I presented is possible and would love to live that life. The work is meaningful and further deepens my relationship with Creation. This looks like a beautiful life to me. I doubt if many mainstream folks would call it easy, comfortable or luxurious though without a fundamental shift in their values, which has been my point all along in this discussion.

I recognize that, and I agree with you–that scenario sounds like an incredible life, but few would call it easy, comfortable or luxurious. I would want that kind of life, but I know few others who would. But you haven’t really described the experience of hunting and gathering as hunter-gatherers have lived it. In fact, a lot of it seems to imply you as a sole provider, placing the onus for an entire community on one pair of shoulders. I have no doubt that living as a hunter-gatherer, minus the things that make hunting and gathering easy (like a community sharing the burden), would make for a very hard life. When you add in those elements, as I have above, I think most mainstream folks would call it easy, comfortable and luxurious, and there you have my point. I don’t disagree that your scenario very nicely illustrates your point. But I do disagree that your scenario paints a good portrait of hunter-gatherer life. It simply doesn’t line up with what we know about how hunter-gatherers live.

This is a rather small point to make, but I think it warrants mentioning:

Many hunter-gatherer people go nearly naked when they can. This cuts down greatly on the clothes wearing out, and the need for replacement. Hel, if I was in better shape I’d totally go around in just shorts or a breechcloth.

And while my sewing and leather working skills are adequate at best, those estimates sounded really high to me, too.

Oh! You know, it just occurred to me I’ve been reading “below thirty” as “thirty below.” As in -30 degrees. Which is relatively rare around here. 20 degree weather on the other hand lasts months where I am now. But you get used to it. I don’t even think of it as really that cold anymore unless its also windy.

• Benjamin Shender

“would definitely agree that Billy really has a lot of experience with living outdoors, and has done a lot to not only learn, but to master the skills we need to learn and master. That said, I believe the point of contention here revolves around whether or not we can really call primitive life a life of luxury, no?”

No that is not the point of contention for me. But I don’t know how to say what it is any clearer than I already have in much earlier posts.

“As much as I respect Billy’s experience, it also doesn’t surprise me at all to hear that he would think that the hunter-gatherer life would not involve much that we could really call luxury.”

That is not my belief at all and I don’t think I ever said that it was.

“My experiences of how easily rewilding comes, and Billy’s experiences of how hard living outdoors can become, both have their place.”

That is your impression. I do not consider the things I was talking about to constitute a hard life.

You have branded me with this ascetic label that is your label not mine. Part of my difficulty is with things like that. I feel like you have made many assumptions about me and where I am coming from based on the fact that I am now wearing that label which you yourself have put on me.

I think we simply disagree about too many things to address. Yes, one thing I agree with you about is that our disagreement comes from basic foundational assumptions. I see now that we really don’t come from the same culture and part of our problem stems from that. We live in very different worlds.
I think at this point I have to call it quits. I don’t feel like I have much of any use to contribute to this anymore.

I’ll take this out of order because it clearly strikes to the main problem here.

Billy-

So, you think every time I say “ascetic,” I mean you? You may have made a case that I can’t see as possibly separate from the influence of asceticism, but that doesn’t mean I’ve taken you for an ascetic, much less thank of you as some incarnation of Asceticism! I have no doubt that you don’t think of your own life in that way, and I don’t think I ever said otherwise. Why would you take me to mean you when I talk about an ancient religious tradition?

Would I get it right if I identified your point of contention with this quote from you upthread?

When dealing with the day to day requirements of a "primitive" lifestyle those words would be highly subjective. Ease and comfort compared to what? Luxury? compared to what? Looking through the lens of a typical modern N. American lifestyle that is a pretty hard sell. The value system has got to change before that kind of language starts to look realistic.

So, if the value system has to change before we can call this way of life luxurious, what does that mean? To my understanding, that can only mean that the primitive lifestyle offers little that our current value system would recognize as luxury–otherwise, why would we have to change our value system? What would make it such a “hard sell” if it involved a lot of things that we could call luxurious from our current value system?

Now, for me, the word “luxury” cannot mean anything from a different value system: it refers to very materialistic wealth, sumptuous living, fine food, and “the pleasures of the flesh,” if you will. You seem to deny that much of this takes place, by reminding us of the difficulties hunter-gatherers face. I don’t mean to say that you make it look like an awful existence, but rather, you do emphasize that it entails material hardships and want, in exchange for more immaterial satisfaction. You sound quite happy with your life, and I wouldn’t argue that or try to portray it any other way, but would you not agree that you’ve presented this as a good and happy life not because you live an easy life, but because you lead a fulfilling life?

I hold that from our current value system, the hunter-gatherer lifestyle contains a lot that suggests that we could call it a life of luxury, without any change to what we mean by the word “luxury,” as in sumptuous living, wealth, fine foods, and all those aforementioned “pleasures of the flesh.” That it makes not just for a good life and a happy life and a fulfilling life, but also an easy life. I have a hard time squaring your arguments with the idea that hunting and gathering makes for an easy life. You seem to think that when I take your position to stand against the notion that hunting and gathering makes for an easy life, that I mean that you stand against the notion that it makes for a good, happy, or fulfilling life. I don’t know how to address that. I certainly never said that, and I don’t think I implied it. You might have pulled it from what I said by reading far too much into it, or equating “not easy” with all manner of bad things, but I try to use precision with my language wherever I can. I hope you can recognize that the number of words I’ve put into this reflects the amount of time I’ve put into trying to make myself clear on this–and more than my artfulness or tact, I hope you can recognize that in itself as an offering made in the interest of effecting a real understanding here.

So, when I said…

As much as I respect Billy's experience, it also doesn't surprise me at all to hear that he would think that the hunter-gatherer life would not involve much that we could really call luxury.

… and you reply …

That is not my belief at all and I don't think I ever said that it was.

… I don’t know how to put that together. I think I’ve made it clear that by “luxury” I mean an easy life of material indulgence. You said, " Looking through the lens of a typical modern N. American lifestyle that is a pretty hard sell. The value system has got to change before that kind of language starts to look realistic." If we need to change the value system first, doesn’t that mean we basically need to change what the word “luxury” means first? How can that possibly mean anything other than “the hunter-gatherer life would not involve much that we could really call luxury”? I agree, you’ve made it clear that it involves a good, happy and fulfilling life, but I didn’t say any of those things, I said “luxury,” which presents an altogether different proposition.

Now, if I read you right, then you’ve said that hunting and gathering offers a good life, a happy life, and a fulfilling life, but one that we couldn’t really call easy. It takes a lot of physical hardships, like everything freezing when you wake up in the morning, long treks through driving rain or freezing weather, frequent discomfort and so on. I would call that a hard life, as you have described it. Good, happy and fulfilling, yes, but also hard. Now, that description does not differ all that much from the ascetic tradition. Ascetics promise that by following a particular hard way of life, that devotees can find a good, happy and fulfilling life. You share in this tradition as much as I or anyone else here, so we can’t say that it hasn’t influenced you, it has influenced everyone here. Most of us have enough influence from it that we associate hard work with virtue on a very deep level. In fact, that happens on such a deep level that I heartily suspect that there, in no small part, we’ve hit upon the real reason you’ve responded so passionately to this suggestion. From how you reference your own experience, it seems to me that you’ve invested a great deal of your pride in the notion of yourself as a skilled, experienced outdoorsman. Of course, that image would make you quite mechanical simply as described, but it exudes an unspoken element of moral character sharpened by the difficulties of outdoor life, because of our ascetic tradition that toil makes someone virtuous. I do not believe that if you would sit down and ponder asceticism that you would say, “Yes, I agree with that.” I personally have found that the influences we do not recognize exert the most power in our lives, for precisely that reason. I wouldn’t call you an ascetic, but everyone on this board has had asceticism influence them, and I think that this discussion really involves asceticism more than anything else. If we have to change our value system to understand the luxuries of hunter-gatherer life, if the benefits of that life come from meaningful work and fulfilling relationships, then we really don’t mean luxury. We mean giving up luxury for happiness and fulfillment. I can’t figure out any way in which this doesn’t have something to do with asceticism, can you? If I’ve gotten this wrong, please, help me understand how. I want to understand your position, and I really have no interest in branding you or pigeon-holing you in any way. But as I understand your argument, you have perfectly expressed the heart of the ascetic tradition.

That is your impression. I do not consider the things I was talking about to constitute a hard life.

I think you may misunderstand again what I mean by “hard.” You seem, in general, to conflate any term I use that means something difficult with every other term that means something bad, and I really don’t use my words in such an imprecise way. You’ve described to us in some detail the physical obstacles that hunter-gatherers must overcome to counter the assertion that we can call such a life “luxurious.” A luxurious life makes for an easy life, but a life filled with the obstacles you’ve described would make for a hard life. A hard life does not mean a bad life, an unhappy life, or an unfulfilling life. A life of meaningful work, as you put it, would entail a lot of fulfillment, and for a lot of people, a lot of happiness, too, but I would have a hard time calling it anything but hard. After all, it does mean a life of work, even if we do find it fulfilling and meaningful.

Now, you might say that you don’t consider your life hard, because you measure ease and luxury not in terms of how much you have or how much difficulty you must overcome, but in terms of how meaningful and fulfilling you find your life. I would say that you’ve redefined what luxury, hard and easy mean. Living a hard life doesn’t mean living a bad or unhappy life at all. But, if you don’t live a hard life, if hunter-gatherers do lead an easy life, then what did you make all your previous arguments for? Did you just want to yank our chain? Everything else you wrote, the examples you gave, painted a fairly hard way of life, and you presented them to counter my claim that hunter-gatherers lead a pretty easy way of life, to remind us of how hard hunter-gatherers have to work. I can’t reconcile what you had to say upthread with what you say here unless you take “hard” to simply mean “bad,” and as I said, I don’t use my words so imprecisely.

You have branded me with this ascetic label that is your label not mine. Part of my difficulty is with things like that. I feel like you have made many assumptions about me and where I am coming from based on the fact that I am now wearing that label which you yourself have put on me.

I apologize. I obviously did not do enough to make my meaning clear. I haven’t labeled you at all, or at least, I have tried not to. To say that you, like all of us, have had some influence from the ascetic tradition, means something very different from calling you an ascetic. You can have any number of ideas rooted in asceticism, without ever becoming an ascetic yourself. Most of us do. The Protestant Work Ethic, for example, clearly branches up from ascetic values, and most Americans embrace that work ethic, but few of them count as ascetics. I do not mean to call you an ascetic, but I really only see two possibilities here:

[ul][li]You agree with me that hunting and gathering makes for a life of ease, abundance and luxury. You can get what you need easily. You can spend a great deal of time leisurely sitting about, feasting, gambling and telling stories. People can go to work only when they feel like it. In this instance, you didn’t really mean anything of what you said before. I find this option difficult to believe, since it would mean disregarding most everything you’ve said, including the flat-out and explicit denials of it that you’ve made.[/li]
[li]You disagree with my characterization of hunter-gatherer life. Instead, it sometimes involves want and hard work (you can’t separate these; if you have no want, why would you work hard?). It can offer meaningful work, deep personal fulfillment, and a good, happy life, but it costs you in physical exertion. It doesn’t promise an easy life, just a good one.[/li][/ul]

In the first option, I have to admit, I’d have no idea how we got here, and why you would’ve denied it and instead spent so much time arguing for something you didn’t believe. In the second, you’ve clearly drawn upon our shared ascetic tradition, whether consciously or unconsciously. The second option offers precisely the same deal as any monk or nun: the life might involve a lot of hard work, but it also rewards that with meaningful work and personal fulfillment, and yes, a good and happy life.

Does that make you an ascetic? I don’t think it does. But it does mean that you have a point influenced by asceticism. You might feel comfortable with that, or you might not. If not, then you might want to re-evaluate that belief, explore the assumptions and ideas that underlie it, and see if you still agree with them all, or if perhaps you built up this conclusion long ago, based on assumptions you no longer hold. In that case, you may need to overturn this idea, as well. That doesn’t make for a pleasant process, nor one that most people would want to undergo publicly. I have a few times, but I’ve shown an abnormal comfort with this whole process. I actually find myself in the midst of such a process right now, after reading Tim Ingold’s book, which has challenged a lot of my ideas about things like “culture.”

But no, that does not make you an ascetic. I don’t intend to brand you with that or any other label. I just want to discuss the ideas you’ve put forth, not what we should brand you with. Your ideas didn’t originate inside your skull; they have lives and personalities of their own. I want to discuss where they came from and where they go, not you. I hope you can see how I separate the two, and that what I say about the ideas you’ve expressed, I cannot simply extend to you as well.

Sorry to but in here…

I’ve been following this thread closely, trying to see where the difference between your perspectives lie and from what I have seen here, it appears to be a case of “yes, and…”

Yes, hunter-gatherers have luxuries and they also exert themselves physically to their limits. Not to the extent, nor the way that agriculturalists do.

The Molalla indians lived in the foothills of the Cascades. I have hiked up one mountain and it took me three hours to get up, 2 1/2 to get down. After 5 1/2 hours of hiking I was completely exhausted and sore. Now compared to my day-to-day urban lifestyle of sitting in front of a computer, getting my ass kicked after 5 1/2 hours of walking shows more how weak I have become than how hard hiking is. To the Molalla indians, who ate paleo diet and hiked the hills everyday, it probably felt more normal than ass-kicking. In that sense, they exerted themselves physically much more than I, but they were in better shape, not to mention they walk in a more efficient way (the fox walk), than I (city shuffle).

I have tanned one hide, and it was a pain in the ass! Regardless of tools/etc, it takes a lot of work, a lot of physical exertion. I think the key here is that our bodies are designed for higher levels of discomfort and exertion than civilized people experience.

Now, if you were in a field with a digging stick for 8-12 hours a day 7 days a week, you’d know how fucked up early agriculturalists were. If you compounded that extreme exertion with a crappy diet (grains) that cause all kinds of diseases and physical problems, the work would feel even worse.

Because of oil, the statistics of how much someone works or even what work, or hard work means, has changed quite a bit. When I spend all day on a computer at work, I consider that “hard work,” though I haven’t done anything physically demanding, but psychologically demanding. If I were to physically exert myself more than I do now, it would be uncomfortable at first, but eventually I’d get over it.

I think Billy has expanded his comfort zones (living in -30 tipi) further than most here, or most civilized people in general. Given the option of living in a -30 tipi or living in a nice heated cabin, I know what most people will gravitate towards; ease of comfort. Though, given a bioregion, humans are capable of finding comfort at extremes.

I think this all comes down to defining “hard” and what is or isn’t “comfortable.”

Hunting and gathering does require a lot of physical exertion. Hiking all day through the hills, stalking animals to hunt (I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to hold a stalking position for more than 30 seconds, but it’s extremely difficult), stretching hides, etc. Not as much exertion as agriculturalists who spend 8-12 hours a day hunched over with a digging stick, but it does take a hell of a lot more physical exertion than most urban civilized people have ever experienced in their entire lives, aside from “professional athletes.”

Now, does that make the lifestyle more “hard?” I think it depends on how you see hard. Definitely living as a hunter-gatherer is much much more uncomfortable than living in americanized, urban civilization. It just comes down to your level of comfort and how far can you expand it? Indigenous peoples have rites of passage to expand peoples comfort zones so they feel more comfortable in colder, wetter, hotter, hungrier times.

From where I live right now, in a climate controlled room with my belly full of bacon and eggs that I bought at the grocery store with money I made from my job where I sit at a computer and do database work and answer the phone, in a climate controlled room… I can’t really argue that the hunter-gatherer lifestyle requires a shit load more physical exertion and discomfort.

Many people think of these civilized comforts as the “luxuries” of civilization. Hunter-gatherers most suredly did not have the comfort of central heating and air-conditioning and sitting on their asses all day long in such a place. Now, does that mean they lived “harder” lives? I don’t think so, because I think that physical exertion is healthy and normal. I think civilized people are lazy and sissies. I hate the cold. I hate bugs. I hate being dirty. These are all things that hunter-gatherers are more comfortable with because they have to be. And that’s the normal state of humans.

Hunter-gatherers worked less and exert themselves less than slaves with digging sticks. You can hardly say the same about modern urban people, who do little physical exertion than changing the channel on their tv in their climate controlled McMansion.

I definitely see the point that Billy is making, that hunter-gatherers had much wider ranges of comfort than (urbanized) civilized people, and that they physically exerted themselves a lot more. I personally don’t see that as a “harder” life, just a normal one. Though if you were to throw me out in the cold, I may change my mind! :wink:

This blog entry of Davids is one of the best commentaries on this:

http://www.edgeofgrace.net/2006/12/28/i-hate-nature/

A couple of questions come to mind when reading that blog entry:

Who the hel sleeps on the cold ground?
Was there no bug protection (spray, oil, etc.)?

It sounds like the main problem this guy had was just a lack of proper housing and personal care items. I don’t know how that school works exactly, but I would think one of the big things they’d teach is keeping yourself warm, which includes insulating oneself from the ground while sleeping. Sounds a lot like he had problems and didn’t do anything to remedy them. Ideas of asceticism creeping in, I guess.

Yeah, that’s one of the points for sure. Sounds like swimming in deep purity without so much as a toe dipped in the shallow end.

That’s sort of what I see here. What a lot of hunter-gatherers found comfort in, most modern people have never had to experience before. Even though most hunter-gatherers weren’t insanely “pure” in that sense, they still had a much larger comfort zone.

People don’t realize just how crucial that is, I think, and they jump in the deep end without easing into it. You know, you can’t do 100 pull-ups if you’ve never worked out before. Similarly, we can’t just materialize ourselves into hunter-gatherers. We need to work out patiently, adding more weight each time, so-to-speak. But also, remembering to rest a large amount of the time.

I honestly don’t have a huge problem with asceticism altogether, taken to far, as a continuous ends in itself yes, but as a means, as a way to clear ones eyes and have another look, no. Asceticism to me plays a foundational role in all human cultures and societies. From the Buddha and Jesus to the shaman and vision quest. I think asceticism makes beginning rewilding a lot easier, it opens the door so to speak so one can take the first step.

I think the idea of asceticism as a means towards rewilding isn’t useful. If you’re used to warmth and comfort, and then go out into the wild where it is cold and hard, it’s really just going to drive you back into where it is warm and soft. I think too many of us are prone to being reactionary in situations such as these. If we show people warm, fuzzy, happy fun in wild living (and I stress show), we’ll have more success in getting the point across. I had some small success with this cooking a meal over a fire with my girlfriend, just hanging out and roasting food. I plan to try such a thing with a group of friends soon. Then, I’ll move on to roasting food I’ve gathered over a fire with them. Then maybe bring them with me foraging. Before they know it, they’ll be happy hunter-gatherers!

I wish I had some experience, real world, my own, most of all, but even books would be nice. As it is, I’m kind of just stuck on the sidelines here, watching this conversation avidly. I really liked Dan’s story of making a village with his class. I wish I had a teacher that cool. It also makes me relaize that I need to get out and experiment more, actually figure out what I am talking about instead of just relying on facts and figures.

However, I do agree on the asceticism point. We will never get people to believe in the leaving civilization thing if we show it to them as absolute sacrifice. As Quinn put it, we have to show them that they can get more of what they want, not less of what they don’t.

I alos think a major problem with applying the anthropological studies is the skill and ability gap that has been mentioned. It may be possible to live that easily, but you need proficiency in the skills and physical capabilities, proficiencies that I don’t have.

It may be possible to live that easily, but you need proficiency in the skills and physical capabilities, proficiencies that I don't have.

Luckily, becoming proficient isn’t nearly as hard as mastering a skill. Good luck, Matt, and remember to ask for plenty of help along the way. I know I do. :slight_smile:

Ascetism or Discipline? Maybe it’s natural to be loose, to move around fluidly. Zen Buddhism often teaches that enlightenment is the easiest thing in the world… it’s our original nature to be enlightened (or perhaps “wild”). Why is so hard then? Because we’ve spent so much time developing all this rigidity against it. It’s like we’ve kept our muscles so tense for so long that we’ve forgotten what it means to relax, play it cool, move around, let things go. Even when we begin to trust our bodies a bit, let them bounce to the beat and rhythms, all our training tells us “No! Stop!” And we tense back up. Yet with practice, the world opens up, welcoming us back in. Maybe it takes some discipline, a shift in values, but truly the path is a return home, to our deep-seated nature.

So… Rewilding – Hard? Easy? Perhaps both. Difficult to loosen up our defenses against all things wild. Yet easy because the wild energy is given freely and naturally without our effort, if only we can open ourselves up to it again.

Well let me speak from my experience. I wouldn’t have ever even came here if it weren’t for my asceticism. That asceticism driven by my cynicism of course… and boy did I go ascetic in about every way, straight edge, figured I’d end up a monk, etc. etc. What it did for me, it let me step back and see another view. Or did I already have that view and that coincided with my asceticism? I don’t know, all I know is I never wanted the ascetic life, I just figured I’d end up there. And if I never went there, where would I have ended up now? On drugs or alcohol 24/7 like many other of my peers and my family (in past), an indebted cog in the machine (like now), only with more massive debt to sit behind that nice car, with kids? What? To me, it takes a bit of asceticism, at least to keep the shackles off. But maybe I have a different view of asceticism, and as I said, I don’t hold it as the point itself, or the ends or goal, but a means. Of course I’d rather have the luxurious life, the luxurious hunter gatherer life, or I wouldn’t have come here, but I’d rather have a bit of asceticism for now than full in trappings to civilization, I just can’t do that.

Rewilding, easy or hard? Easier than you think, harder than you’d like.

Luxurious? How much luxury? How hard are you willing to work for it?

Bugs? No problem. 1001 plants to keep them away, and drink fragrant teas until mint is coming out of your pores. (Sounds gross, but smells better than far too many people anyway.)

Aestheticism? Not a good selling point. But useful in hardening yourself up.

One my big rewilding things is a lot of walking up mountains, an hour on the treadmill, weights as often as is safe, and as close to paleo as I can. Can’t afford to be out of breath when its time to move.

• Benjamin Shender

Thanks for all those posts everyone. I’m happy to see what others are thinking about this discussion.

As far as ascetism goes… I make a big distinction between “going without” because it’s “virtuous” and “going without” because it ain’t worth the cost.

As I see it, when hunter-gatherers “went without” it was cuz it ain’t worth the cost.

As far as bugs go… Well, there are a lot of solutions, but that doesn’t mean you can walk up to Joe Random and convince him of that!

Now, if you pick your opportunities and demonstrate it to Joe Random in the park one day when bugs are everywhere and bothering the shit out of him… that’s a very different story, ain’t it?

In general, people are going to judge any claim they perceive to be extraordinary very harshly, unless you can positively demonstrate the claim to them. At least, that’s been my experience with most of humanity…

Just as a side note, what plants are good for bugs? I really hate conventional deet style bug repellant, but I don’t know what else to use.

Giuli started a good discussion on this here.

In general, there’s quite a lot that can be done and, as Ben says, there are just tons of plants that help out with this. For any given method, tho’, you should be forwarned that your mileage with any particular method or plant may vary somewhat. Partly by what’s available in your bioregion, so, be prepared to experiment a little.

For my part, I haven’t found anything short of greasing up my skin to keep mosquitos off, but other insects (including ticks) largely leave me alone and bees and I get along great!