Recommended Book Titles

Let’s get a big list of recommended books going!

Also a good place to write your personal impressions/reviews/summaries.

My Name is Chellis and I’m In Recovery From Western Civilization
by Chellis Glendinning, 1994

(Haven’t read it yet; will post a review when I do)

Must put down a few, simply for the fact, that I have to.
Monkey Wrench Gang
Desert Solitaire
Down The River
All by Ed Abbey of course. I don’t really know if these are the kinds of books you all are interested in, but, they are among my favorites.

The Spell of the Sensuous by David Abram is a must read. ohmygod!

up next on my reading list (after i finish what i’m currently working on) is Nature and Madness by Paul Shepard.

I second Spell of the Sensuous. My Name is Chellis has a similar theme, but comes from a psychological rather than a philosophical perspective.

Always Coming Home by Ursula K. Leguin has a lot in common with Jason Godesky’s Fifth World Project. I’d recommend any book by LeGuin. The Left Hand of Darkness explores gender roles. The Telling and Always Coming Home have interesting things to say about how humans relate to rest of the world.

Spell of the Sensuous is next on my reading list. :slight_smile:

Also recommended: Beyond Civilization. Before I read it, I was pessimistic about what my reading experience would be like. I thought I wouldn’t get anything new out of it – after all, I had already read most of Quinn’s body of work and I thought it was getting pretty repetitive. But this one felt really refreshing to read. It’s not perfect, but I do recommend it.

I also second Left Hand of Darkness.

If you live in Cascadia, try Jim Pojar’s Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast for an excellent, may I stress well-organized, source of information.

Also recommended: Beyond Civilization. Before I read it, I was pessimistic about what my reading experience would be like. I thought I wouldn't get anything new out of it -- after all, I had already read most of Quinn's body of work and I thought it was getting pretty repetitive. But this one felt really refreshing to read. It's not perfect, but I do recommend it.

I will second that recommendation.

And for some light reading I would recommend Endgame, by Derrick Jensen.

http://www.endgamethebook.org

Also, The Wild Within, by Paul Rezendes.

Take care,

Curt

Rebels Against The Future by Kirkpatrick Sale
The Technological Society by Jacques Ellul

“Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Condition” by Ed Regis was supposed to be funny. But it was frightening to me. Frightening and deeply infuriating.

Hi all
I’m new to this site and based in the UK. I’ve just finished reading a great foraging book Wild food by Ray Mears and Gordon Hillman
Its the most USEFUL book I’ve read on foraging in the UK/Northern Europe bioreigion. It deals with how to make these foods platable using only primitive meathods and is writern with respectful gathering in mind.

Its only draw back is its size (not pocket sized) and price at 20 GBP, but if your rewilding in Northern Europe this book will be useful.

Reminds me a little of Pojar’s guide to plants of the Pacific Northwest but it doesn’t give handy cooking tips. :slight_smile: …Only cursory discussion of possible uses.

Kudos to you for finding such a resource!

Hmm, I’d bet if I looked around I could find a book discussing wild plants in cooking for the PNW. There are a few restaurants (and one sandwich wholesaler that I know of) that use some amount of wild food - in fact, they make it a “point of sale.” :stuck_out_tongue:

No Parking, I just noticed your signature!! :slight_smile: Right on.

My favorite Slither quote is, “You’re not destined to be wrong. You choose to be.”

in the spirit of the earth by calvin luther martin

Penguin Island by Anatole France (fiction, satire, very entertaining)

If you want ethnobotany books for the PNW. Look for books authored by Nancy Turner.
Lone Pine publishing has a series of field guides for regions of B.C. that are the standard field guides for the B.C. Forest Service. They are also mostly applicable to coastal and N. Wash, Idaho, and NW Montana.
Pojar is one of the authors of these guides. They are very good and include some “Native” and historical uses as well as other background.

Most of my rewildling friend have fallen in love with Nancy Turner. We want to marry her. She probably has reached 70 years old by now, but that just makes her know-how more hot. Books like ‘the Earth’s Blanket’ have changed our lives.

The Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman, 'tis also a movie

My grandma got it for me and it read very well.

some taglines of the book:

What time is it? Now.
Where are you? Here.
There are no ordinary moments

i recently found a copy of “The Edible Wild” in a local Half-Price Bookstore. it seems to be long out of print (since 1971) and is kind of nice since it focuses much more on preparation than most wild food books (esp preparation “in the bush”). if anyone is interested, i’ll scrape up some time to type in some of the recipes.

A great couple of novels I read some months back were Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents. The author, Octavia Butler, paints an eerily prophetic picture of the near future in which civilization is collapsing slowly. It’s dreary, people are dying left and right, food and water are scarce, violence is everywhere. The protagonist is a young woman of color who is raised in a strict Baptist household but has other ideas about religion. She ends up creating and preaching this new religion of hers, which is sadly tinged with techno-salvationist tones, but ultimately is focused on the study of change. She has to deal with preserving and paying for water, raiders attacking the walled suburb she lives in as well as the party she travels with, rapists, prejudice, and Christian fundamentalists with mercenaries run amok (coughBlackwatercough). I recommend these two books not only as great works of fiction, but because they depict a very possible and scary way that civilization could collapse.

1 Like

The Songlines

by Bruce Chatwin.

This is deffinitly one of my favorite books. the author writes about the natural nomadic instinct of humankind and though much of the book takes place in australia with the australian aboriginal people, it’s focus is not so much on the later but more on nomadism in general. the author also writes about his travels and experiences with other nomadic tribal people in other parts of the world, specifically other desert peoples. it’s kind of hard to explain but i can’t recommend it highly enough. it’s really cool and is definitely a “must read”.