Syncronicity

I had an interesting syncronicity today:

Peter,

A strange sequence of a events brought me to your webpage this morning and I realized that I’m pretty sure I know you. I think you were my partner during the Tracker Philosophy I workshop in California in March of '01. Does that sound right?

…it was pretty interesting to see your suggested reading on the urbanscout webpage…i’m currently neck-deep in Derrick Jensen, Daniel Quinn, and Joseph Campbell myself!

Happy hunting…

Funny that my philosophy partner found me online right after I begun to talk shit about Tracker School philosophy!

We had some really cool/crazy syncronicities in that class though. It feels nice to hear from him.

Before I got your email about potentially visiting me, I had one of my dreams about you but it wasn’t like the other ones where you always have to run off and do something else and you didn’t get blown up by a volcano or hit by a car. We were actually having fun together.

Nice little post about synchronicity, Scout.

A good synchronicity keeps me going for weeks… bumps me out of the whole faux reality rut where The Man is always right, I’m the centre of the universe, and civilisation is the irreversible height of all human purpose.

I like seeing the hand of something else at work… even if it is just chance.

I got a marvelous email about synchronicity from a good friend. That one will keep me going for a long time.

Being part of this whole community is very synchronicitous for me.
For 5 or 6 years, ever since I first read Ishmael, I’ve been yearning to level up my feral skills. And then one day, while googling Ishmael, I found Anthropik and learned about Peak Oil and how the civ that I’ve resented for so long is going to go down a lot sooner than I thought. And then I discovered that people were getting ready for it–people like the Urban Scout. And they were writing about it.

I got really inspired. I’d been reading Euell Gibbons at the same time and was thinking, “Huh, all Gibbons’s articles on plants are really just like blogs. I can do that.” Then I saw the little “wordpress” link at the bottom of everyones’ blogs and thought “And that’s how I can do it.”

Immediately, I got noticed by the people I’d been reading. Curt, Scout, Miranda and Ben at Aftermath–within the first week, I was being embraced by these people who had been doing this shit for quite some time–moreover, whom I had been admiring and aspiring towards for quite some time–even Penny Scout who can track a plant and break a heart in the same fell swoop. I kind of expected that I’d have to pay my dues in the rewilding world before earning any kind of acceptance, but the acceptance was immediate.

Not long after that, I get this email from Scout asking if I knew anything about wikis. I didn’t know shit, but it sounded like fun. And it is.

Now, I’m also hearing stirs of a primitive skills community right here in NW Arkansas. At best, when I moved here, I had hoped for someone to kayak or hike with. Now I might have someone to track and tribe with.

My world is growing, and it is growing wild.

I really enjoyed reading your post, Rix. Thank you for taking the time to tell this story.

Take care,

Curt

yesterday, i was actually thinking about the idea that everything we understand as matter actually exists, in a sense, as nothing more than angles, curvatures, protrusions, and inflections of space. this train of though had been triggered by discussion on here, interestingly enough, in the thread regarding e-prime in the “Rewilding English” forum. as i was thinking about how all we ever really see in life is “the space between”, i was standing next to one of the radios we have in our house. then i thought, “well now, wouldn’t it be funny if i turned on the radio and heard the dave matthews band song of the same name”–the space between that is. and, i turned on the radio, and whatthefuck do you know. the station was playing “the space between”.

i notice this seems to happen fairly often with me when i think of a song and then turn on the radio. obviously, the homogeneity and complete lack of diversity on most megacorporate channels increases the chance of thinking of a song and then turning on the radio only to hear it played. still, i felt somewhat special after this occurrence given the fact that the station i turned the radio on to typically plays top 40 music exclusively.

but it did make me smile. :slight_smile:

[quote=“WildeRix, post:5, topic:179”]Now, I’m also hearing stirs of a primitive skills community right here in NW Arkansas. At best, when I moved here, I had hoped for someone to kayak or hike with. Now I might have someone to track and tribe with.

My world is growing, and it is growing wild.[/quote]

I’m bumping this because this phrase in itself is sort of a synchronicity for me!

My dad’s dad left the family when he was 2; there is little knowledge my dad has about half of his family. A few months ago I posted on a geneology forum looking for info on some Youngbloods based on what little I knew. A week ago, I got a response from someone in Texas who gave me some info about his Youngbloods and to make a long story short, it’s basically the same family. The same family, which originated and some of them still live in Northwest Arkansas, the Yell county area (what a fitting name place for people of my family too, haha).

I’d been getting increasingly more into the idea of rewilding (and civ collapse preps) in the last couple months but it’s difficult to find a whole lot of people into it in Nebraska or Kansas. I have a few friends who are also interested, but none of us have any real experience (I have some herbal knowledge, but that’s the gist of it…), and have been considering relocating anyway since KS isn’t exactly known for its wildlife. Southern Missouri/North Arkansas have been one of the locations I’d been toying with relocating to for a bit, though, even before getting this tidbit about my family, and only now read this. It’s encouraging to know there are people (fairly) nearby already workin’ on it, especially in an area I was already considering. A place where my ancestors lived, no less!

Hmph, for someone who writes as a favorite pasttime, I sure do suck at articulation! Did that make sense to anyone?