If there was one species that I hate so much it would be

Depends on the human, don’t you think? !Kung ‘bushmen’ rock pretty hard. So do Guarani of Peru. So do Maori. And Buryat of Siberia. And the Saami of Northern Europe. And the Inuit. And Hopi. And Taos Pueblo (some of my cousins!).

This list could go on for a while I guess.

Hell yes! I believe so!

I’ve just notice big time that I have a hard time responding to b-English now that I’ve become an e-primer, in fact, sometimes I don’t respond at all or simple say, “I don’t understand” or “no comment.” Altogether, I just don’t understand b-English and when I act like I do, such as in the presence of my wage-slave bosses, landlords, or jury duty who know no other way, I know that deep down inside myself I’ve joined into foggy conversation and demanding relationship.

Check out Penny's yarrow tincture on Scout's blog: Whiskey in the Yarrow!

Does this tincture require fresh flowers, or will dried yarrow do? I’m thinking of making some, but it’ll be some time until I gather some fresh.

Yeah, Trump, the Rockefellers, Politicians…
I just want to see them fly aboard a rocket to the center of the sun.
Just to show how insignificant they are.
Mosquitoes don’t really bother me anymore, if I see some I usually just let them take a sip of my red wine.
Now if I come down with West Nile virus, that’s when I break out the blowtorch!

[quote=“Willem, post:21, topic:365”]Depends on the human, don’t you think? !Kung ‘bushmen’ rock pretty hard. So do Guarani of Peru. So do Maori. And Buryat of Siberia. And the Saami of Northern Europe. And the Inuit. And Hopi. And Taos Pueblo (some of my cousins!).

This list could go on for a while I guess.[/quote]

Though the maori wiped out the moa… Pre agriculture humuans weren’t as cool as you would think… Just take a look on all the species we wiped out while moving to europe(mamooth, almost wild horse, hairy rhino, etc) and all the species the native americans wiped out when they came to america(american cheeta, american camel, giant sloth, mamoth(here to) etc.)

I say humans as general probably is the worst disaster that happend to gaia…

I’d like to add that beautyberry leaves work! And they don’t stink the way bug spray does.

[quote=“Ravn, post:25, topic:365”]Though the maori wiped out the moa… Pre agriculture humuans weren’t as cool as you would think… Just take a look on all the species we wiped out while moving to europe(mamooth, almost wild horse, hairy rhino, etc) and all the species the native americans wiped out when they came to america(american cheeta, american camel, giant sloth, mamoth(here to) etc.)

I say humans as general probably is the worst disaster that happend to gaia…[/quote]

Actually, I thought the general consensus now-a-days held that humans didn’t cause the extinction of the mammoth…

Yea, the Holocene extinction thing is now almost entirely attributed to climate change. The only people who cling on to the idea that the ancestors of some indigenous people did it have shown to have huge racial and cultural prejudices.

I think it’s silly to think that humans can be innocent of causing ecological disruption in a new environment, up to and including extinctions. Plants and animals do it all the time. It’s the sentiment behind people putting forth the idea that can be problematic.

Although the Maori caused the extinction of the Moa, when europeans turned up the Maori had enforced their own laws on hunting seasons of birds etc, I’m not sure on the timeline of that, but that was definately the case.

When humans first came to America they too, cause extinction of a few species (it talks about it in Tendign the Wild), but then look, they became possible the best keepers of the ecosystem in history.

I don’t see humans as evil, just civilisation, something about those who lived more primitive ways tended to make a mistake and make a quick turn around and learn how to live with their new environment… civilisation tries to change the entire environment to suit them.

My best trick for Skeeters: Don’t smack them. They’re like little syringes and when you smack them, that’s what makes the bites itchy and swollen. Just calmly wipe them off, or just don’t think about them. This actually works! I remember these old-timers in Maine used to just have skeeters sucking on their face and it didn’t bother them at all! After a while, they just don’t leave itchy bites.

Yep that’s right. Mozzys cause the release of Histamine which I’ve read that the cells that release this substance are affected by thought and can be “mind over mattered”

Old post string, but obviously Mosquitoes were high on folks list.

Here’s one way (of many ways, for sure) of dealing with them.

Wild peace,
Glenn

Artichoke thistle. >:( >:( >:( YOU DISSAPOINT

[quote=“BottomFeeder, post:14, topic:365”]…you mean other than humans?!.. ;D I’d have to say head-lice…
Alex[/quote]

I second this…

Thanks for all those anti-mosquito tips!

Any experiences with letting all your hair grow as long as it will? It may either shield you or at least alert you to the mosquito’s presence. Or ticks, for example.

An afterthought: if ticks and common clegs clearly show preferences and dislikes for some people, why not mosquitoes? If so, when you’re in a group it might make sense to keep an eye out who attracts mosquitoes first - and hope that you don’t yourself.

1 Like

Barriers - nets, clothing. Work with them instead of fighting them. Remove or cover standing water that has collected near your living space. Support habitat for allies such as dragon / damsel flies and bats! Know your mosquito species…

Some interesting tidbits from wikipedia:
“With regard to host location, female mosquitoes hunt their blood host by detecting organic substances such as carbon dioxide (CO2) and 1-octen-3-ol
produced from the host, and through optical recognition. Mosquitoes
prefer some people over others. The preferred victim’s sweat simply
smells better than others because of the proportions of the carbon
dioxide, octenol and other compounds that make up body odor.[40] The most powerful semiochemical that triggers the keen sense of smell of Culex quinquefasciatus is nonanal.[41] Another compound identified in human blood that attracts mosquitoes is sulcatone or 6-methyl-5-hepten-2-one, especially for Aedes aegypti mosquitoes with the odor receptor gene Or4.[42]
A large part of the mosquito’s sense of smell, or olfactory system, is
devoted to sniffing out blood sources. Of 72 types of odor receptors on
its antennae, at least 27 are tuned to detect chemicals found in perspiration.[43] In Aedes, the search for a host takes place in two phases. First, the mosquito exhibits a nonspecific searching behavior until the perception of host stimulants, then it follows a targeted approach.[44] Most mosquito species are crepuscular (dawn or dusk) feeders. During the heat of the day, most mosquitoes rest in a cool place and wait for the evenings, although they may still bite if disturbed.[45] Some species, such as the Asian tiger mosquito, are known to fly and feed during daytime.[46]”

Ticks really freak me out…I recently discovered on the internet that a study showed that Possums are basically vacuum cleaners of the woods for ticks… I guess they meticulously harvest around 90 percent of the ticks that get on them, and they swallow them up and kill em… Now I absolutely love possums so much more than even a week ago. Would love to somehow help the opossum population so they can destroy the insane ticks i’ve been seeing around lately.

2 Likes