Feral, Failed, and Fabulous!

Thanks, Willem, “verb championer”.

The difference feels so astounding between the mental pictures those headlines create. I think I noticed it first with the “tour” one. I pictured a couple of deer on vacations, Hawaiian shirts, cameras, sunglasses–a very Far Side image. The “run through” one seemed pretty close to reality, although I imagine deer would have a difficult time running on waxed floors. But the “rampaging” one (thank you, MSNBC) sounds like they burst into the hospital, brandishing M-16s, with bandoleers over each shoulder and grenades clipped to their flack jackets, ready to gun down the nurses and blast the gurneys to smithereens. The bear, on the other hand, merely “wandered” in and ended up getting rampaged.

Civilization has turned into the cliff that the lemmingish population of other mammals must careen over.

I think the other bear incident happened in Japan or somewhere like that.

Thanks for the minnow trap information, Penny. I made one this weekend and was able to catch a fish.

I added a new wiki page based on my experiment (which I also blogged about).

Nice, I love the blog entry! Brother Scout thinks I should get my own blog, but I’m not sure if I am ready to take that plunge just yet. I think it’s great how our e-tribe is working out. We really are helping eachother rewild.

Does anyone have any new project ideas for this week? We can keep the old ones since no one has really worked on them but I would like a new one too, and something baby friendly for Rix.

Pine needle baskets are fun and baby friendly, if you are carefull with the needle.

Nice, I love the blog entry! Brother Scout thinks I should get my own blog, but I'm not sure if I am ready to take that plunge just yet.

Thanks, Penny. I agree with Urbs that you should get a blog. It may feel like an obligation, sometimes, but that doesn’t mean you have to oblige yourself to it. Just to it when you want to. Your family trip blogs on MySpace and your Project Failures wiki article tell me that you have a knack for it. And notice how Peter and I recycle material between our blogs and the wiki.

Pine needle baskets, eh? I don’t have any pines nearby, but I bet I could find some somewhere around Fayetteville. I’ve never seen them made, do you have any links to instructions? If not, I’ll just ask the nice folks at Google.

I think it's great how our e-tribe is working out. We really are helping each other rewild.

I love how the eTribe is working out too, Emily. I really feel connected to you guys. And thanks for making considerations for my fathering situation.

Pine Needle baskets just use the “coiling method.” Which you can really use with anything, even cattails! Which it sounds like you love anyway. Check out “coiling method” of basket making.

With Pine Needle Coiling, you’ll need long needles, not the shorter ones.

... anything, even cattails! Which it sounds like you love anyway.

So my secret is out, huh?

With Pine Needle Coiling, you'll need long needles, not the shorter ones.

why does everything relate back to size with you, peter? …oh, wait, “peter”. i guess that’s why. :wink:

It’s not the size of the pine needle, it’s how you coil it.

…no, actually it is the size.

rofl

New Project Failure article:
http://www.rewild.info/fieldguide/index.php?title=Project_Failure:_April_23-29

Covers my ongoing survival cache project, my car kit, and my trip to the Westline Leek Festival.

I don’t have any long needles either except maybe at the arboretum. So I am going to try some grass. Here is a resource:

http://www.nativetech.org/basketry/coilindex.html

Great link!

sweet! thanks, penny.

i haven’t had any luck finding needles of any kind within walking distance. so i may pull up some cattail sprouts and use the inedible part of the leaves for coiling.

[quote=“Penny Scout, post:32, topic:183”]New Project Failure article:
http://www.rewild.info/fieldguide/index.php?title=Project_Failure:_April_23-29

Covers my ongoing survival cache project, my car kit, and my trip to the Westline Leek Festival.[/quote]

I’m enjoying your latest project failure article, Penny. On the subject of buckets

I’m going to keep a closer eye out from now on for sources of free buckets and pipes.

Every food service place I worked for got their pickles in 5 gallon buckets with rubber-sealed or otherwise tight fitting lids. The lids usually had to be cut along the edges to get open, but the seals always seemed to stay in tact (just not as safe for transporting 5 gallons of slopping pickles in their brine, i guess.)

Check with college cafeterias, restaurants, even fast food joints. Some fast food places might get their pickles in vacuum sealed bags now instead of the 5 gallon bucket, though. But I bet most “sit down” restaurants still get them in the buckets.

Yeah I should do that. Though for some reason I am more likely to steal things in the dark of night than go to a counter and actually ask someone. In college we used to get the pickle buckets to put our compost in. Tofu buckets from the health food store too. We didn’t really have a yard for it so we just kept filling up pickle buckets stashed them in the closet and took them all to the compost dump at the end of the year. The compost dump was a wonderous place of steam and seagulls. More cities should have them. Hmm, are seagulls good eating?

for some reason I am more likely to steal things in the dark of night than go to a counter and actually ask someone

well, you can satisfy both your need for buckets and your need for stealth by dumpster diving at restaurants.

I soaked the dried grass I got for making a basket overnight and it is still too stiff, so I am going to try some daffoldil leaves. I guess I will pick them and then dry them and resoak them or at least wilt them so they shrink before I start working.

My projects for last week. Subjects include but are not limited to leeks, Hot Rocks, fishing, clay pottery, Coal Burning, birds, skull collecting.

http://www.rewild.info/fieldguide/index.php?title=Project_Failure:_April_30-May_6

Is anyone reading these besides Rix?

Failure Club Projects for this Week:
experiment with coiled basketry
experiment with clay pottery
eat a new plant

Anyone do any other projects lately?