Reversing domestication through Permaculture

For any extremest on this site, Permaculture may seem conservative or too middle of the road to consider it a practice for Rewilding.
However, I’d like to share an experimental poem I wrote on the subject.

Homesteading in the 21st Century

On a ½ acre property, south facing slope, near the bottom of a gully, the Cottonwoods and Aspen trees on my new Rocky Mountain homestead were dying.
Perhaps due to various disconnected uphill excavations when the land was being subdivided, but the sloping property was victim to an excessive underground water table from the snowmelt that leached all the rich underground silt, away, leaving rock, crusted clay and dead roots.
Now as a result, the mature Aspen grove was sharing a unified root structure covered in pestilence. The tree trunks were oozing with black, seeping sores, and riddled with dead branches. Dark grey lichen clung to the knightly silver-white bark like deer ticks carrying disease do to skin. The ground around the aspens had depressions; sunken swales perhaps where the plunder had occured. Now cavities of ‘missing’ [topsoil] some of the swales became muddy marshes; like filthy dish sponges, good for very little. There were other signs of infestation. Posh green patches of moss, like pillows, making Priestly promises to the trees of better days yet to come, of better days of yet to come. Thickets of dreary thorny shrubs congregated into groups, overcrowding the space around the Aspen groove and claiming it with gnarly branches; like dirty fingers of homeless people, begging on the street, reaching for more change. Or buzzards, having flown in at sight of death, fiending, fighting, feasting on rotting meat. Decay.
Bolstered against the icy March winds and intermittent rains, I armoured myself in hat, goggles, overalls, gloves and boots. With brushcutter in hand, I began a deluge of my own (to recover the loss of health to my land). Scraping off lichen from every branch, watching the light bark beneath breath again. Pickaxing -skeletons; shoveling away -bones (unearthing old rusty nails, cables, pulleys, bottles, cans). As the season wore on, my spirit was revived. Filling in the swales with dirt. Mulching layer upon layer. Mulching, layer upon layer. Spraying the diseased black ooze with vinegar and water, over and the leaves and roots. Inoculating the soil with compost tea. Signs of a soil food web began to develop, deep beneath my eyes.
The following spring breathed new life into the roots. Robust growth sprang out from the trunks to branches to leaves. The warm sun baked the oozing black wounds. making scabs on the bark, where the lichen had been. The oid patches of moss and shrubs were replaced by new flowering plants atop thick rows of dank, mulch -sweet smelling, mycelium laced, composted mulch. Finally, a permaculture food forest grew in tiered layers beneath the groove of trees, reflecting the abundance of what once was. Plum, apricot, Hazelnuts, Ginko, Mulberry, Elderberry, Sea berry, Magnolia, tobacco, Pachouli and tea plants were planted; exotics species of Bamboo. HIgh-bush cranberry, Aronia berry, gooseberry, boysenberry, strawberry, raspberry, huckleberry. Rhododendrons, Azaleas, Sumac and more every spring occupied the void along the perimeter of the property. Even morel mushroom spores, already native to the area, were planted to reinforce the habitat in the woods south, bordering the property. The ecological environment had walked me along, like a user-friendly ap. might, holding my hand, patiently teaching me what is Balance and how to accelerate it. Homesteading in the 21st Century.

There’s so much wrong with this, I don’t know where to begin. Since when did this site advocate agriculture? What a nightmare.

Two questions VeganPrimitivist, 1. how is this “agriculture”, and 2. where do you get your food?

Just one example: Among other things, the fact that you’re using bamboo, which is a nightmare to remove from the wild places it invades (have you ever tried to dig it out?) shows the disconnect between the agriculture you’re practicing and tending the wild as a member of the wild community.

I eat foods wasted by civilization, invasives and domesticates from my region and small amounts of natives when they grow in abundance. I create a demand for no cultivars or domesticates. I harvest and sow indigenous seeds, especially of extirpated species, to strengthen remnant wild habitats.

First of all, I am not the original poster, by answering “the fact that you’re using bamboo” - IT ISN’T ME who posted this.

Secondly, why do you have to be so condescending and rude? “There’s so much wrong with this”" What a nightmare.", “shows the disconnect between the agriculture you’re practicing”.

Thirdly, you are really insulting with your tone, so dismissive and demeaning. Hope you are pleased with yourself. If I can block you from this site I certainly will.

Sorry for mixing up your identity.

As someone who for a decade now has tended wild places, coordinating literally thousands of volunteers undoing the damage of people who mindlessly shuffle species about for their benefit with no understanding of the impact they’re causing to wild habitat, I’m upset, as I should be. I’m sickened that rewilders continue hunting remaining wildlife with no regard to if the species is invasive or a struggling indigenous one, and permaculturists infiltrating rewilding groups with their anthropocentric lifeways. Honestly, I don’t care if I get banned from a group of rewilders who have no desire to tend indigenous habitat of degrading wild places.

If you want to rewild yourself, start by rewilding Earth, before you’re left with no place left to exploit.

wow, I can appreciate this aspect of your practice of Rewilding, expressed to the community by you. It lends itself to define what Rewilding is for others.

The purpose of this post is to promote a robust relation with nature. By the practice of permaculture we are able to facilitate the development of a micro-climate, or in this example rehabilitation of the land. For me this is part of an objective response to what I consider to be Rewilding.