Meat recipes

Bummer.

When I saw him there was no where to get a rest to shoot from without getting down. There was a bit of a rise between us so I had to shoot standing up and off hand to be able to see him, which is not ideal for me.
He was quartering away from me so the shot went in a bit farther back than I wanted but was still lethal and quick. It also clipped his spine so he went down on the spot without taking another step.
In the end the only meat wrecked by it was the liver so that’s not bad at all.
The coyotes, bears and ravens got a tasty treat from it.

It was such a long drag to get him out, what I did was, after gutting him, I took a piece of twine and sewed him back up with the heart and kidneys back inside so that he wouldn’t get all full of dirt and pine needles while I was dragging him.

It’s hunting season in most areas across N. America. Any other hunting stories? Curt? any other hunters? maybe we should make a new thread for hunting stories if any one has one. We can learn from each other.

I killed my first deer this year. A big Denman Island blacktail buck, the biggest deer i’ve ever processed actually (and i’ve processed quite a lot of roadkills). My friend/land-mate peter shot a big buck in the forest around where we live, so i felt pressed to get a deer to fit our smokehouse with meat. We gutted him on the spot, and used a wheelbarrow to get him to the farm. That dat we hung him up and rendered down a litre of organ fat. saved the liver heart and kidneys. Had to take him down after maybe five days because its been pretty wet out here. most of the meat we cut up for smoking, and sausages(to be smoked as well). Rendered about a half gallon of fat off the body as well. The experience felt pretty amazing for me, and i think soon i’m going to go hunting with my cross-bow to get another for the winter.

I made up a mess of liver this weekend for me & my mom. She’s always told me that she liked liver, but only when my grandma made it, and unfortunately, my mom never learned how my grandma cooked it. So, she agreed to try some of mine on one condition: that I make mashed potatoes to go with it. It seems grandma always made mashed potatoes with liver. I said it was fine by me, sauteed up a bunch of garlic, onions & peppers while the taters were boiling, threw the cut up liver in the sautee pan and cooked till pink on the inside, served 'em up w/ the mashed taters, and I gotta tell you, that was actually a really good combination! I was kind of surprised, but the liver really did taste better to me. Mom liked it a lot too, so I think we’re going to start doing that every now and again.

Now if only I could get my daughter to eat it!

Anyone know how to cook a chicken so the meat is not all dry?

Cover it while it cooks. Also, it helps to get free range chickens that have a good diet. I’ve noticed they’re juicier and just taste better.

Also, I like to make Filipino chicken adobo when I can. It’s basically slowly simmering the chicken in a sauce/stock made of vinegar, garlic, water, and maybe something like soy sauce, with a couple bay leaves thrown in. I also like to add coconut milk and sometimes a hot pepper. Serve over rice or noodles if you want, but I just like to have it on its own.

Canning wild turkey broth today. We cooked the bird last night. Cooked for about 3 1/2 hours at 275 degrees. After dinner I took most of the rest of the meat off the bones and then put the carcass in a big pot. Added some seasoning and put it on the wood stove. Today after getting all the bones out I’m canning it in quart jars. I got six quarts.
Yum :slight_smile:
They have a lot more dark meat than a store bought turkey. Without the hormonally pumped up breast meat.