Kitchen utensils/technology

Hah, yeah I guess not. I also get all the brains, all the moose bones a person could ever want, a couple hundred deer legs, a pile of antlers and all the skins 8)

I think what most of us are wondering is: where can I get a job like that?

Find the meat cutters that cut wild game in your area. Not that many young people are wanting to learn to butcher and cut meat nowadays. During the hunting season some of those guys are totally swamped and need help. It’s a great skill to learn. Usually there is a big season then it ends. So your not looking at any long term commitment, but you can learn a lot in a short time from some of those oldtimers.

I love cutting meat and hearing the hunting stories.

Hmmm, when my family gets a pig from a local farm, we take it to a butcher a couple towns away. Now that I think about it, I think he does game too. I should check with him.

I love cutting meat and hearing the hunting stories.

I do too! Deer hunting is a big tradition in Wisconsin and in my family. In my early twenties I could never figure out why my cousins and friends (They were close to my age) mostly enjoyed just hunting the deer. After harvesting one they ended up taking the deer to a local butcher or just giving it away. They hated cutting them up.

For me hearing the stories and cutting up the deer was just as important. Some of the fondest memories I have of my grandfather were during those moments. I wouldn’t trade them for anything.

Take care,

Curt

The Zalabiyeh Bedouin use this method:

Find a big ol oildrum barrel, dig a hole in the sand big enough for the barrel to fit inside ( takes a while, I helped dig a few for a camp once) , and when the hole is dug put the barrel in.

To cook, start a fire inside, let it burn till it’s almost all coals and then place a cover on it. They use a big metal bowl placed upside down to fit overtop or the top of an oil drum flattened a bit for the cover, but you could use any circular piece of iron or steel that was hammered to the right shape I would think.

They place the food on a sort of circular grate that is a few inches smaller in diameter than the barrel so it fits nicely inside the barrel and the bottom rests on the top of the coals. The meat and veggies are placed on this grate, seasoned and then placed on the grate, the grate is placed in the barrel and then it is covered with the cover.

Then sand is shoveled on top of the cover so it is completely covered. Several hours later, the sand is brushed off with a broom, the cover opened, and the grate removed, steam rushes out revealing the barbequed/pit cooked meat and vegetables.

The tourists who have never ate pit-cooked meat before frequently say that it’s the best tasting chicken they have had and so on, it lends a superior flavor to most other methods of roasting , IMO.

This method of pit cooking/earth oven roasting in the sand is called zaerb. Other times meat is just broiled directly on the coals of an open fire or boiled but the zaerb is more practical for roasting a large amount of meat for lots of people while allowing one to concentrate on other tasks (such as preparing other food) until the meat is ready to be taken out of the pit.

Here’s a pic to better illustrate:

Imgur

Whoah! Great picture. :o

Cookind depend primarily on 2 things.
How many are you cooking for?
What will you be cooking?

For a small group eating primarily meats and large veggies, you can simply cook the right on a fire. If it’s small pieces, soups are better.

For large groups, combinations are better. Both fire roasted meats, roasted large veggies and small vefggies/grains boiled.

WOKS are one of the MOST versitile cooking items!
you can fry, boil, steam, etc… and they were designed to be efficient.
the shape makes them easy to use in the wild, you can just set them right on a bed of coals, or push coals up around them. They balance well on uneven rocks, and provide a versitile cook serfice allowing multiple types of cooking at once.

Look up Cooking with Woks.
Woks are also easy to make!