Fishing

I just heard from a freind that the Native fishermen are pulling sockeye out of the Fraser river right now. Can’t wait to get some of those ;D

very cool hand made dip net

And he caught a fish with it.

Wow, that looks really well-made.

If I had a net like that I would bait it, float a minnow or a leach just inside the hoop of the net. It would be easy to make thin cordage and shape the hooks from bone. Since the fish wouldn’t actually be tugging on the bait line, it could be kept very thin.

Because I’m apparently picture crazy lately, here’s something I made last night. Going for something similar to an Inuit style leister, except made out of spare bamboo garden stakes, twine, and a bit of pitch to help hold it together. I’ll test it out, probably this weekend, and let you know if it works on frogs and trout.

I was beginning to wonder if I was gonna get any salmon this year, but at last some came through.

drools

Those look like some handsome fellas. Cute kid too! :slight_smile:

Have you noticed when you cut salmon into steaks, and look at the cross-section, it looks just like the formlines and shapes in Pacific Northwest Native Art (like Haida, etc.)?

Makes me think…

She’s my new daughter.

I never thought of that shape before but now that you mention it…

We had a day of smoking salmon and pealing tipi poles today with about 15 teenagers. It was sponsored by the Metis Nation of BC. Yesterday we filleted a bunch of sockeye and springs and salted them. Today I set up my smoking rack and we smoked them. We had cut a bunch of tipi poles for a couple of tipis that the aboriginal education program owns and today we had a pole pealing party while the fish was smoking.
We had a great time, lots of good food. A fantastic moose stew that was made from a moose that my 76 year old hunting buddy killed.
The father of one of the students killed an elk on the weekend and he’s donating some elk meat to the program so we can smoke and dry it. Some people want to make pemmican so we’ll probably do that too.
Sure didn’t get to do stuff like that when I was in high school.

Monday I went fishing with my dad and one of my brothers. While there, I decided to pick some milkweed pods that had started opening, to get the fluff inside. On a whim, I decided to attach some of the fluff to my hook, then put a little worm on it. Apparently, some fish really love this combination, sometimes biting right when my line hit the water. I’m going to try it out more on different types of fish.

so today i was roaming a park that contains a stream that is a side stream of a large river, fairly close to the sea, that has salmon (chum, I think) spawning in it. my immediate reaction was, cool, i can come back and get one of these. well, ok, first thought was about how amazing it was. but anyway, this stream is not listed in the washington fishing regs guide. i’m curious about what the legality of taking fish from here would be, and also the other factors of taking salmon that are basically about to spawn. can i just reach in and grab/net one?