Earth lodge

northwest suburb of minneapolis here. although the plan is to get back to where i was born (northern minnesota) asap.

I am in Rochester, MN… a two hour drive southeast of the metro on highway 52.

hi barefoot,
good to hear of another persyn close by. if we get a few more people we could have a rewild gathering!

tree whisperer,

i really loved seeing the pics of your earth lodge & the story of making it. inspires me!

did you get to spend much time in it this winter?

and how does the “chimney” work? (what does donut mean? ) do you have a central hole in the roof? does it keep rain/snow out?

[quote=“yarrow dreamer, post:24, topic:208”]tree whisperer,

i really loved seeing the pics of your earth lodge & the story of making it. inspires me!

did you get to spend much time in it this winter?

and how does the “chimney” work? (what does donut mean? ) do you have a central hole in the roof? does it keep rain/snow out?[/quote]

i have spent a fair amount of time out at the lodge, although not as much as ide like to have. even when its below zero out you can stay comfortably warm inside with a fire. there are a couple inches of pine needles, and a few deer hides on the floor. (im going to tan the hides soon though)
the fire pit is directly underneath the chimney. as the air and smoke rise the smoke gets funneled out the chimney and the warm air runs down the side to be cycled through. this is the donut. if the fire pit were not directly under the chimney the smoke would rise hit the ceiling and funnel back down the sides, creating a smokey lodge.
the chimney is woven dogwood with birchbark on the sides, above that we built an awning keeping the rain and snow out. (we dont have pics of the awning up)

1 Like