American Dao

The concepts of yin/yang tend to be familiar to most people. They are useful to really understand, even though they might sound so basic. They are representations of all the complementary forces and manifestations in the world, such as: dark and light, male and female, hard and flexible, ugly and beautiful, and so on. I often hear people say that they are opposites, but I think to say this is to miss something of their inherent unity. In western thought, we tend to think of things such as beauty or ugliness as separate.

To use an analogy from slightly further east, consider Japanese swordsmiths. These craftsmen have elaborate rituals involved in the construction of blades, in part to honor the spirit of the tool they’re making, and it part to make sure they get just the right balance of hardness on the outside and soft pliability(toughness) on the inside. Without both of these properties, the blade sucks. A totally tough blade would be dull, a totally hard blade would break easily. Both properties combined, they made perfect blades.

Another foundational concept from Daoism that I think has a lot of relevance to us at this point in time (and to rewilders in general) is the concept of “Nourishing Life” (chinese, Yangsheng). Many of the texts in Daoism are all about Breathing Practices, Qigong exercises, Meditation Practices and Food and Herbs all of which are designed to increase longevity, vitality, and peace of mind. There are even manuals on how to eat for your typology, how to harvest herbs with the most vitality (and in what season), and how to live in harmony with the seasons.

How this relates is that a lot of this info. focuses on the fact that we can all thrive with actually having a lot less and doing a lot less and eating more wild plants and foods. In fact, stepping away from civilization might be the best way to nourish life both individually and collectively.

Pathfinder, can you share some breathing practices with us here?

How this relates is that a lot of this info. focuses on the fact that we can all thrive with actually having a lot less and doing a lot less and eating more wild plants and foods. In fact, stepping away from civilization might be the best way to nourish life both individually and collectively.

Sounds perfectly inline with rewilding. :wink:

Cool story.

Shows how much we need elasticity. Anything flexible will bend, but something elastic will spring back to the same shape. Like your ear, if you crunch it all up and let go.

Wow! I’ve never seen my ears that way before. Ears are awesome! It works on my cat’s ears too. :slight_smile:

I have nothing to contribute about Daoism, though. I haven’t studied it in detail or enough to have an intellectual discussion about it.

But for what it’s worth, I own a translation of the Dao te Ching and for years it has been the only “spiritual text” I have trusted. Having grown up Christian I can remember a few parables from the Bible that are still meaningful (the passage with the “lilies of the field” for instance) but I personally feel that in general, as a spiritual guide the Bible contains deep, irredeemable flaws.

Having grown up Christian I can remember a few parables from the Bible that are still meaningful (the passage with the "lilies of the field" for instance) but I personally feel that in general, as a spiritual guide the Bible contains deep, irredeemable flaws.

I don’t want to be perceived as getting on a Bible-bashing high horse here, but I agree with you. There are spoken as well as unspoken and implicit things in the Bible that I believe to be flawed which I have great difficult in getting around or accepting when I read it. Like you though, I do find inspiration in some of the passages.

Though, when it comes to inspiration ever single passage in the TAO TE CHING is inspiring to me! So as a spiritual text, I find it much more effective. Also, the nice thing about the TAO TE CHING is there are so many various translations that it is easy to find one that matches your tastes.

Here is a good passage:

When the world is governed according to Tao, Horses are use to work on the farm. When the world is not governed according to Tao, Horses and weapons are produced for the frontier. No crime is greater than that of ambition. No misfortune is greater than that of discontentment. No fault is greater than that of conquering. Therefore, to know contentment through contentment Is to always have enough.

Great quote there Little Spider, what you chose to quote really gets to the meaning of why I started this thread. In a lot of the Dao De jing there seems to be an implied green anarchy or anarcho-primitvism. It is really amazing how many people find that the Dao De Jing is their only spiritual text or who find a great deal of spiritual meaning in it regardless of their background. It is also pretty unbelievable how many different translation there are and that all make sense.

I agree that the Tao Te Ching rox! It continues to inspire me. I’ve written before about the beautiful animist wisdom in taoist lore :

http://www.mythic-cartography.org/2007/01/18/village-rhizome-and-the-return-to-the-tao/
http://www.mythic-cartography.org/2007/03/13/breaking-the-spell-vii-the-wise-compass/

And I loooove Ellen Chen’s translation. Just so’s ya know.

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Te-Ching-Translation-Commentary/dp/1557782385/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a

oh, and in that passage I quote in “village, rhizome, and the return to the tao”, Lao Tse basically describes the Shire and hobbit lifestyle as described by JRR Tolkien. I swear to god. Down to the “although there are weapons and armor, let there be no occasion to display them”, just like the mithril shirt that bilbo donated to the museum at michel delving, where it gathered dust in a corner.

as a side note, any accusations of nerdery in this matter will receive a prompt affirmation.

as a side note, any accusations of nerdery in this matter will receive a prompt affirmation.

Something tells me that few here would find fault in nerdery… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, Willem. I will have to check out Chen’s translation.

One of my favorite translations is:

Amazon: The Tao Speaks: Lao-Tzu’s Whispers of Wisdom

Also, if you like Chuang Tzu (another great Daoist thinker), I recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/Zhuangzi-Speaks-Chih-chung-Tsai/dp/0691008825/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1

I have this one, and find it a great read. Not everyone is a fan of the comic strip style of translation, though. I find it very complementary to the more strict scholarly translations of the TAO TE CHING which at times can be so dry they nearly crack when you pick them up to read them, and so full of jargon they make even an experienced scholar’s head spin.

Hahaha! I think we are all nerds here of one kind or another. :slight_smile:

[edited by mod to shorten link]

Cool. I’ll try to find Zhuangzi Speaks.

I’ve read some Chuang Tse stories before. The Tao of Pooh introduced me to a lot of this stuff, and it has a lot of Chuang Tse tales in it. But the illustrated version looks really neat-o. :slight_smile:

Just ordered my very own copy of THE TAO SPEAKS by the same author. From my research, buying any of the books in this line including Zhuangzi Speak is cheapest on amazon even with shipping included.

Just got The Tao Speaks in the mail, and read it in one sitting. Last time I read it was 5 or 6 years ago. I noticed the light hearted and playful manner in which it was written and illustrated, and how that contrasts sharply with other translations I have read that were very scholarly.

I have a friend who is a strongly intellectual type thinker, and recently discussed the Tao Te Ching with him. He was of the opinion that the translations which are best are those done by the strict scholars of chinese texts. My take on it is that those scholars might be the ones with the LEAST understanding of the Tao. In my experience, the more I allow life to flow around me and inside me without trying to force it into some intellectual framework, the closer I feel to the Tao.

This is why I found the Tao of Pooh books to be some of the best taoist books I have ever read.

Not being able to read the Tao Te Ching in its original chinese, I must say that it is possible that I am totally wrong. Perhaps the most scholarly interpretations are the best, but that is not my intuitive feeling.

i wish i could talk to Lao tzu…

According to some shamanic traditions, you can visit religious and philosophical masters in the Spirit World. This is the case in the one I was trained in.

He hangs out in the Upper Worlds realm of the Spirit World. You can do a shamanic journey to visit him. Though, I would suggest going there only when you are in real need of assistance.

Give it a try and see what happens. Pay close attention to anything that comes up…

Just a tidbit about Lao-tzu: the name literally means “old master” or “old masters”. There are a fair number of people both scholars and non-scholars who believe that the Daodejing is a collection of saying from a series of “old masters”, possibly from an ancient shamanic lineage in China. One way to see this is to look at each chapter in the book in the following way: the first line is a saying, then the next line or two are commentaries from other masters on the concept or idea.

I’m not saying that this is definitely the way the Tao Te Ching (daodejing) should be read or how Lao-tzu should be interpreted, I just think it’s a pretty fascinating way of looking at the text.

Found this blog post a few days ago:
http://www.oftwominds.com/blogjun08/survival6-08.html

It’s only peripherally about Daoism, but it does use Daoist history as an example of why a Daoist approach is useful politically, not just for personal enlightenment or whatever. In which case it might be useful to try to tease out exactly how Daoist philosophy can be applicable toward revolutionary thinking and action.

Just thinking out loud here, still haven’t really read much material in these traditions.

Thanks David, I read it. It points to one of the central ideas of rewilding, that of people wealth, over material wealth.